Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

I am about as likely to change someone's mind as they are to change mine. About anything.

jeffhandy said:

lanky said:

Seize once-in-a-lifetime experiences, regardless of cost / inconvenience. I'm looking at flights to Cleveland for Wednesday! Go Cubs!

Did that with game 4 of the 97 Stanley Cup when the Wings broke their 42 year drought. Never regretted it.

Awesome!

Much more tactful phrasing than my usual statement "Don't argue with crazy people."

jeffl said:

I am about as likely to change someone's mind as they are to change mine. About anything.

addiemoose said:
Things to never buy: cat leashes, dog beds, hair products (well most of em), liquid soap dispensers, crazy glue, anything with suction cups for the bathroom, any fruit butter.

jeffl said:

But just in case: McCutcheons Cherry Butter

On the off chance I convinced anyone, you can buy it at Melick's Oldwick Farm Market. Or just go get some cider and donuts and apples and pies.

You can't antagonize and influence at the same time. Still learning.

Kitchen appliances always break right before Thanksgiving.

Faxes and printers can smell your fear and revolt on deadline.

Bad news always breaks on Fridays.

Tom_Reingold said:

You can't antagonize and influence at the same time. Still learning.

Not in a positive way, anyhow.

Esperanto. Mi maltrafis la boato.

just shut up during an audit, and only answer what's actually asked. cheese

Sigh.

Love this thread! Not my original, but really like it:

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Someone else phrased this much more elegantly - you may regret speaking up when you see abuse or intolerance, but you will definitely regret not speaking up.

Too often I look back and think "I wish I had said something" - even if it was to simply redirect the conversation away from the intolerant commentary.

Nora Ephron said that if only 25% of your clothes are a mistake, you're coming out ahead. I'd like to agree - though sometimes it's more like 50% of my wardrobe is a disaster.

During a family-wide disaster, never enter into a conversation with a relative over who was put out more.

Rivoli said:

Nora Ephron said that if only 25% of your clothes are a mistake, you're coming out ahead. I'd like to agree - though sometimes it's more like 50% of my wardrobe is a disaster.

About 70% of my clothes are a mistake. They don't fit me no more.

Y'know... You never know, y'know?

-s.

Somehow I just discovered this thread this morning. Interesting read.

I'll go against the grain a bit and say that it took me an awfully long time to figure out that my father was actually wrong a whole lot more often, and about a whole lot more things, than I thought when I was growing up. 

I was a kid who believed my elders --especially my dad-- when they told me they knew better than me. When I was about 25 years old I started realizing my dad was just a guy, battling through life just like everybody else. Don't get me wrong; he was a fine man and an outstanding father. I miss him every day. He just wasn't the god I imagined him to be when I was younger.  

The more I know, the more I realize how much I do not know.

"New and Improved" means "bad" or "worse than before."

So happy this thread got resurrected after all this time.  

It took too long to discover the miracle of the electric toothbrush.  Life changing.  

Love this thread!

As an avid gardener:   Hard/Radial Pruning is worth the work and results!  

Way cheaper that digging up and replacing overgrown old shrugs.  

Works on shrubs people have sworn to me it won't such as many Hollies.

Best Regards,

Ron Carter

drift:

Ron, after venturing around Google's EE neighborhoods to find out about radial pruning... Am I looking in the wrong place, or did you mean radical pruning, or?  If the latter, do you mean basically the whole plant, to the ground??

Can't wait to see your spring pix.

end drift?

Buy enough firewood to get you through at least half of the next year too.  Nothing better than truly seasoned firewood.  

And half a Firestarter by Duraflame make lighting a fire so easy that I’ll make one every night.  

A ski helmet transforms an intolerably cold bike ride into an easy, no-problem bike ride.

If you have to renovate, sooner is better (as long as it's affordable.) Enjoy it before you have to sell!

mjc said:

drift:

Ron, after venturing around Google's EE neighborhoods to find out about radial pruning... Am I looking in the wrong place, or did you mean radical pruning, or?  If the latter, do you mean basically the whole plant, to the ground??

Can't wait to see your spring pix.

end drift?

Not necessarily to the ground but sometimes I'll try to leave a shape of older branches that's 2-3 feet high then shape that as it comes back.

This garden was a true case study in a 60 year old overgrown monster.  Now most is down to 3-5 feet and filling back in.

Those old shrubs often had no green or new growth on anywhere but the upper 6 inches.  Now we have shrubs again.

Happy to show and tell.  Just let me know when warmer!

If you drive by 377 S. Harrison, you'll see the old overgrown stuff in front of our entryway.  That's coming down this spring.  Some of it is up to the terraces on The Second Floor!

The only thing I would cut purely to the ground is old fashioned privet hedge.  With in less than two years you can have a full border of privet.  Amazing plant.

Best Regards,

Ron

Ah, Just realized I used radial, not radical!

Might help!

Can't believe google didn't offer you the option.

Ron, I would love to see your garden, but we're living in Wisconsin, so pls post pix whenever convenient.  Remember driving along Harrison many years ago, such a handsome place!

Good to know about the privet.  We have been rehabbing a (plain old regular) lilac that we think is original with the house (1927) and much enjoying the result, but nothing compared w/what you've been doing!   grin

eta:  Yeah, Google probably would have been more helpful if there weren't (apparently) such a thing as actual radial pruning, in tech or EE or ??

I've learned not to ask when a renovation project will be done. It will be done when it's done. This is especially important when the general contractor is my wife. We've been married almost 15 years, and we've been under construction for about 12 of those years.

Doctors know much less than you think they do, but they will rarely admit it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.