Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

"When I was 20 I worried what others thought of me,
When I was 40 I didn't care what others thought of me,
When I was 60 I realized they were never thinking of me in the first place!"

jeffl said:

Get into an NCAA basketball pool even if you know nothing (me). It makes March that much more interesting. Took me 50+ years to figure this one out.

Heh. I'm the opposite. I fill one out for my son's amusement, but if a team I picked to lose is making a late, exciting run, my enjoyment of the game on its merits is diminished by that prick, however meaningless, to my pride.

Get over pricks to pride.

Nice typo, @daveschmidt!

barefootcount said:

"When I was 20 I worried what others thought of me,
When I was 40 I didn't care what others thought of me,
When I was 60 I realized they were never thinking of me in the first place!"

This is good.

From my mother in law:

When you're 10 you have 10 problems.
When you're 20 you have 20 problems.
When you're 30 you have 30 problems.
When you're 40 you have 40 problems.

Never lend your favorite books out. Specially if they are no longer available through normal channels.

Baz Luhrman was pretty spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJ7AzBIJoI

Most people have no idea what they're doing most of the time, including yourself. And everybody knows it. So don't get worked up about it. Nobody else is.

Don't ignore the message just because the messenger is a sanctimonious @#$%.

Learn to cook a nice meal for your date. Luring women to your house to see your nonexistent art collection only makes you creepy.

When bills come in, pay them that night rather than piling them up to pay all at once.

Most people are so caught up in their own lives they really don't care what you're wearing/doing/saying.

Dogs need more exercise than you think.

Don't try to replace your own RAM!

yahooyahoo said:

Get it in writing.

Similarly, don't pay the entire bill to any contractor until you are completely satisfied with their work. Most people have probably always known this. It's taken me too long to learn it.

Never forget...There are more horse's a$$es than there are horses.

Cut your losses.   

Things to never buy: cat leashes, dog beds, hair products (well most of em), liquid soap dispensers, crazy glue, anything with suction cups for the bathroom, any fruit butter.

You resurrected my favorite thread ever! Thank you! Who has more?

Stuff always breaks down just before a critical workplace safety audit cheese That's OK, though: it allows you to bring the paperwork up-to-date!!

You know, you never know, you know?

-s.

Seize once-in-a-lifetime experiences, regardless of cost / inconvenience. I'm looking at flights to Cleveland for Wednesday! Go Cubs!

Go Indians! Sorry, Lanky, I feel like the Indians need some folks on their bandwagon.

But, yes to once-in-a-lifetime experiences!

See you in Cleveland tomorrow then! BTW, I went to Game 1 and was absolutely floored by how nice every Indians fan and local were (despite the fact that I was in full Cubs regalia)...

agbarganza said:

But, yes to once-in-a-lifetime experiences!

I agree about the Indians needing some love, but I'm still rooting for the Cubbies.

You think by this point I would have learned that you can't burn the candle at both ends...

Whoppers pair nicely with red Bordeaux.

lanky said:

Seize once-in-a-lifetime experiences, regardless of cost / inconvenience. I'm looking at flights to Cleveland for Wednesday! Go Cubs!

Did that with game 4 of the 97 Stanley Cup when the Wings broke their 42 year drought. Never regretted it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!