Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

Label photographs. One of the best things my father did was create a DVD of family photos with the older generations identified. Now I know what Great Aunt Vera looks like and if I found other family photos I have a reference point.

Do not give children full votes in family decisions. They may vote against you.

I wish I could have said this to my brother and ex-sister-in-law at the right time: Don't ask a 2-year-old for permission to do what you are going to do anyway. She will just say "no," and you will end up negotiating for half an hour. With a 2-year-old.

Don't get mad at other drivers for stupid things they do. You're not going to change what happened. And either they made a mistake, in which case they're already embarrassed, or they did it on purpose, in which case you're not going to change them. All getting angry will do is ruin your own day.

If someone lets you in, wave thanks. If you let someone in and they don't wave, let it go.

Use your turn signals when changing lanes. There are still people who will let you in if you do.

Learn what a zipper merge is and why you should do it. Again, if the other driver doesn't do it, let it go.

ParticleMan said:

Don't get mad at other drivers for stupid things they do. You're not going to change what happened. And either they made a mistake, in which case they're already embarrassed, or they did it on purpose, in which case you're not going to change them. All getting angry will do is ruin your own day.

If someone lets you in, wave thanks. If you let someone in and they don't wave, let it go.

Use your turn signals when changing lanes. There are still people who will let you in if you do.

Learn what a zipper merge is and why you should do it. Again, if the other driver doesn't do it, let it go.

Spot on!

People will never cease to amaze you.

I have said "Holy crap!" (in a good way) dozens of times in this thread. Could be one of MOL's best.

jeffl said:

ril said:

Also something I learned last week when I rented a car: look for the little gas pump icon on the dashboard. There's an arrow that indicates which side the tank is on.

It took me 55 years to learn this.

I just checked. I'm absolutely stunned right now. Reeling, even.

ctrzaska said:

jeffl said:

ril said:

Also something I learned last week when I rented a car: look for the little gas pump icon on the dashboard. There's an arrow that indicates which side the tank is on.

It took me 55 years to learn this.

I just checked. I'm absolutely stunned right now. Reeling, even.

I only learned this very recently too! It's just brilliant.

Carry pepper spray with you when you walk your dog. You never know when a huge, man eating, devil dog is going to get free and attack you. (Amazon - $8). You can even clip it on the leash.

Is there a less harmful alternative that would act as a deterrent? I would almost rather pepper spray the clueless owners that allow such terrible things to happen by not controlling or properly training their powerful dogs. LOL

PeggyC said:

Is there a less harmful alternative that would act as a deterrent? I would almost rather pepper spray the clueless owners that allow such terrible things to happen by not controlling or properly training their powerful dogs. LOL

Not when they're latched onto your arm or your dog's throat.

Sharp knives are safer than dull knives
The best way to lose weight is to not get fat in the first place.

Invert-- put your self in the other side of any situation or analysis

And buy good knives. They'll last a lifetime and you'll never regret spending the extra dough. Like all tools.

The above reminded me of this one.

Not enough people know about and do this:
http://bethematch.org/Support-the-Cause/Donate-bone-marrow/Join-the-marrow-registry/

DO it folks! You'll probably never be called upon, but if you are, oh what a difference you can make!

(Best healing vibes to your son, @oneofthegirls ! Yay for him!)

Thanks B'sMom! Next bone marrow donor is his sister and then a brother. Yay for him is right! He is on the road to maintaining his life!

Ditto on the gas tank symbol! First noticed about 10 years ago, in my 50s: is there something about that age??

eta: ootg, all the best for your son, and your whole family!!

jeffl said:

And buy good knives. They'll last a lifetime and you'll never regret spending the extra dough. Like all tools.

YES! If you're going to use it once, buy cheap. If you're going to use it twice, buy "good." If you're going to use it often, buy quality.

I can make that same argument for a classic suit.

and so much else
if you plan to keep something
if you plan to use something frequently
buy the best you can afford

ctrzaska said:

+1

Great thread...

Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something.

Buy index funds/ETFs: Over time, they beat about 75% of managed funds.

Don't wait too long to have children. (If you do, you'll be over 60 by the time they graduate college -- and lots older than that by the time your children have children of their own.)

unicorn33 said:

Don't be afraid to admit you don't know something.
Corollary to that: Don't trust someone who doesn't know how to admit when they don't know something (and how to seek help finding the answer). Especially when it comes to people who have your life in their hands (e.g. doctors, lawyers, etc.)

When someone you know dies, mourn the way you want to, not the way other people want you to.

ctrzaska said:

And really good quality furniture.

FC said:

When someone you know dies, mourn the way you want to, not the way other people want you to.

Amen to that! People say every individual pregnancy is unique... I would argue, strongly, that every case of mourning is also unique. You can't apply a set of rigid expectations to it and expect good results.

ParticleMan said:

jeffl said:

YES! If you're going to use it once, buy cheap. If you're going to use it twice, buy "good." If you're going to use it often, buy quality.

I'd like to edit this. Don't buy cheap. If you need something once, borrow it from someone who knows how to use it.

ParticleMan said:

The best sequence is:

1. signal before looking
2. look
3. make your move.

Yes, signal before looking, because by the time you look, drivers near you have seen your signal going, and it might be clear for you. Most people look first and signal second.

Get into an NCAA basketball pool even if you know nothing (me). It makes March that much more interesting. Took me 50+ years to figure this one out.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.