Things it took me too long to learn. Please add to the list.

Back up important data often, and keep them in separate places, especially when it comes to photos and music.

For me, the lesson was music, I keep two separate hard drives, both identical to each other in content. One gets used, the other sits safely on a shelf. While updating one with cataloging software, it was knocked of the table (along with the laptop)

Almost half a terabyte of music screwed, drive damaged. If I didn't have the other drive I'd be on top of the GWB.

Don't do things just so you won't regret it later because you might end up regretting that too.

Regarding music

If you think you wanna be somebody in the industry, buy the book All You Need To Know About The Music Business by Don Passman.

If you drop loads of money on equipment and studio time and actually have something produced... consider yourself lucky if you break even.

Always have a spare amp.

If you use monitors for gigs, make sure they're good enough to use for main speakers...in case one of them fries, you can use your monitor as your back up.

When it comes to audio connections, buying anything "gold plated" is a waste of $$.

If you play music and someone gives you a request that either sucks or will kill the room, it's OK to tell them NO, not playing it.

This really should go without saying...use the right tool for the job at hand.

As for tools themselves...don't loan them out, if you do, keep a list of who has what. I like to put a post it note where the tool would normally be, with the name of who has it and when they borrowed it.

ace789nj said:

As for tools themselves...don't loan them out, if you do, keep a list of who has what. I like to put a post it note where the tool would normally be, with the name of who has it and when they borrowed it.

That's brilliant!!! Thank you.

Dawn and hydrogen peroxide will take out red wine stains.

It's more important what you think of yourself, than what others think of you.
Actually it really doesn't matter what other people think of you.

jeanneh said:

Good one! It took me a while to learn that, too.
Also, one that my mom is taking way too long to learn: if you live your life too attached to either the past or the future, you're bound for some suffering.

jeffl said:

ace789nj said:

That's brilliant!!! Thank you.

Thank you. It's really the only way. I've been working on cars or homes since I was 17 and have amassed a plethora of tools, lots of specialty stuff too. It's so hard to keep track of, every once and a while I'll do a job and won't be able to find a certain tool. I get pissed that someone would have it and not have returned it but I get more mad at myself for forgetting who has it. Sigh.

jeanneh said:

^^^ this, but I like this version better:

What people think of me ... is really none of my business. wink

Team building is essential :have resources ready for almost anything before you really need help- legal, medical, financial, social, etc
because when you really need it your head might not be in the right place to think clearly.

HarleyQuinn said:

jeanneh said:

^^^ this, but I like this version better:

What people think of me ... is really none of my business. wink

Both of the above are good. I always say, "If you are going to talk about me, do it behind my back, because I don't need to hear it." ;-)

ace789nj said:

Maybe, but I already posted it... :-D

marylago said:

Losing someone, especially forever, can really hurt, but it's better than not knowing them in the first place.

Extrapolated from jeffl's list: Use the right tool always. You're wasting your time trying to "make do."

One for MOL: If someone disagrees with you and tries to pick a fight, let them win. You're not really losing anything.

marylago said:

ace789nj said:

marylago said:

Losing someone, especially forever, can really hurt, but it's better than not knowing them in the first place.

Extrapolated from jeffl's list: Use the right tool always. You're wasting your time trying to "make do."

One for MOL: If someone disagrees with you and tries to pick a fight, let them win. You're not really losing anything.

More advice: Read prior posts
question

Smile when your heart is aching
Smile even though it's aching
When there are clouds on the sky
You'll get by...
Light up your face with gladness
You'll get by ...if you just smile...

ace789nj said:

marylago said:

ace789nj said:

marylago said:

More advice: Read prior posts
question

Ha! It's still good advice!

Beware of loud noises. They can permanently damage you. Tell your kids.

If you can't figure out how to think about something, ask yourself "what would the dahlia lama think?" He's usually pretty spot on.

try not to drive faster than your headlights can shine!!!

Don't do business with a holes.

Judge not lest ye be judged - something my mother saiid to me and still remembered

galileo said:

Judge not lest ye be judged - something my mother saiid to me and still remembered

Unless, of course, your a judge, then that's your job... :-D

jeffl said:

If you can't figure out how to think about something, ask yourself "what would the dahlia lama think?" He's usually pretty spot on.

The one-l lama,
He's a priest
The two-l llama,
He's a beast

And I will bet
A silk pajama
There isn't any
Three-l lllama*

*The author's attention has been called to a type of conflagration known as a three-alarmer. Pooh.

Lesson: I'll never have the noggin dash
Of Ogden Nash.

Maybe not, but having a relevant quote handy at all times-- no less a poetic one, whether it be Eliot, Nash, or in between--is a wonderful thing.

If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!

raise polite children. they will ask for 129034879836423 things a day so you might as well hear Please with all those requests. it will help them grease the skids of life, too.

I think someone else may have said it, but sometimes being liked is more important than being right. It's taken me way too long to learn this, especially in the workplace.

In some cases guilt can be as strong an emotion as love (this makes me think of the main character in Atonement). I think the exception is maternal love, which is the strongest emotion I've ever felt.

This one is for the ladies because way too often we are incredibly hard on ourselves: Try to love your looks at all ages. I don't think I was ever happy with what I looked like even when I was young and much skinnier than I am today. It's way too easy to find fault and focus on that instead of appreciating what you have. Guarantee in five years you'll wish you looked like you do today.

Practice dancing like nobody's watching when nobody's watching.

you people are all so deep.

all i can think of is how many years i spent hours a week ironing my husband's work shirts.
it is SO worth it to send them to the cleaners! all that free time for me, and they do a much better job than i ever did.
all for such an insignificant amount of money! and i have a new friendship with the lovely woman who works at natural cleaners in millburn. ADORE her.

My Mom was right...I shoud have practiced the piano more.

Math is important in all aspects of life.

Buy quality sheets and pots/pans - they'll last a lifetime.

I'm sure I'll come up with more...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.