The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

joanne said:

no time to read to catch up, but I thought you'd love this: as we moved in on Friday afternoon, a pair of lovely, black swans sailed up to greet us! A mother and her cygnet. Pelicans fly overhead from the Coombabah wetlands to the Labrador 'Lands End' beach every tide change. 

As soon as I can I'll post some 'duckie' pix, we're still surrounded by boxes and sitting on patio chairs as the antique dining chairs need serious repairs. 

Glad you reminded me. I thought of you the other day when I saw this. I meant to post it.

Kirra is just south of here, about 40 mins drive if the traffic isn't held up by roadworks. cheese

Well, still no hummingbirds back but the little wren house is alive with the sound of music. The happy couple is busy feeding babies. I've read they are in the nest less than 2 weeks before they fly.

I'm pricing bird cams. Not sure if I will use it in a bird house or just facing a feeder but I'm going to treat myself to this birthday present.

I have been having issues with squirrels, chipmunks and a woodchuck but keeping my feeders away from this couple (Mr & Mrs) is really tough....

I have been having issues with squirrels, chipmunks and a woodchuck but keeping my feeders away from this couple (Mr & Mrs) is really tough....

OK

@mtierney, I can deal with them stealing the bird food but last winter they tried to steal my car!

Oh, that's just too cute! 

Last night I discovered we have some kind of native frog under our kitchen (our house is on very short stilts). It calls at night, and sounds like the soundtrack of an eerie SF or horror movie... gentle plops and gurgles all night, as if the pipes were bubbling and boiling, frothing away with mysterious distillation.

to quote "ain't nature grand" -- but frogs under the house, not so much!

At 6 am, my neighbor's tiny stone birdbath - which a finch would find snug - had this visitor (I missed the shot of the turkey preening its feathers):

joanne said:

Last night I discovered we have some kind of native frog under our kitchen (our house is on very short stilts). It calls at night, and sounds like the soundtrack of an eerie SF or horror movie... gentle plops and gurgles all night, as if the pipes were bubbling and boiling, frothing away with mysterious distillation.

Can you get a recording of it?

it's not calling tonight. I'm not sure if perhaps our music and activity may have disturbed it, or if it was just calling for a mate...perhaps it will call later in the weekend? I might need to check with the neighbours. 

marksierra said:

joanne said:

Can you get a recording of it?

How's this?

I haven't seen any hummers for the last week or so -- ever since I planted my 

hummer/bee/butterfly garden!  Hmmmmm.....

Also, fyi:  https://answersingenesis.org/b...

Still hoping for my first hummer.  I probably should change the nectar since it has gotten hot and it has been a couple of days now. 

No hummers but my friend in the city rescued this female falcon!

Just spotted a hummingbird! First one since the one in April! I was so surprised that I watched him drinking rather than grab my camera.

oh, that's so exciting even without the pic - congratulations!

In other news, this article is discussing giant ancient turkey cousins that lived in Gondwanaland and dwarfed kangaroos.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/sci...

When are we going to get a LIKE button here?!?!?

sac said:

When are we going to get a LIKE button here?!?!?

Just saw another hummer!

Morganna said:

Just saw another hummer!

Jealous!

(Still no hummers here, despite keeping my feeder refilled with fresh "juice" every other day and lots of red and pink flowers hanging near it.)

LOL 

we've got a prankster duck that keeps pretending it's a feral cat, mewling alone and abandoned in the cruel wintry night cheese Something must've nipped its butt tho, because the strangled half-miaow/croak turned into a real quack/squawk and flap of wings! oh oh

sac said:

Morganna said:

Just saw another hummer!

Jealous!

(Still no hummers here, despite keeping my feeder refilled with fresh "juice" every other day and lots of red and pink flowers hanging near it.)

LOL 

I waited almost 2 months between visits and now have had 2 in a few days so hang in there.

A bird house that was the only one ignored for 3 years now has been explored by a male wren. They set up the beginnings of several nests and then when they attract a mate, let her chose the one she likes best which she immediately redecorates! The last pair left the little house on June 12 and now I have new tenants shopping!

I really enjoy this thread.

The last two nights I woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought might have been owl hooting. Nothing overly loud. Has anyone spotted owls in SOMA?

Some other news - we have a place up in Narrowsburg NY and the bird watching has been really wonderful this year. Last weekend I spotted a scarlet tanager male near our deck. What an absolute beauty. I've read they like to stay high up in the tree canapy so I was surprised to see him so low down. They only stay in town a few weeks for nesting and then head out apparently. Will try to get a photo, but not likely!

a huge hawk landed on my hummingbird feeder hook this pm -- too shocked to grab my phone, I could only stare in wonder.

pmm3339 said:

I really enjoy this thread.

The last two nights I woke up in the middle of the night to what I thought might have been owl hooting. Nothing overly loud. Has anyone spotted owls in SOMA?

Some other news - we have a place up in Narrowsburg NY and the bird watching has been really wonderful this year. Last weekend I spotted a scarlet tanager male near our deck. What an absolute beauty. I've read they like to stay high up in the tree canapy so I was surprised to see him so low down. They only stay in town a few weeks for nesting and then head out apparently. Will try to get a photo, but not likely!

A Scarlet Tananger! I would love to see one. Try for a photo, even a blurry one!

mtierney said:

a huge hawk landed on my hummingbird feeder hook this pm -- too shocked to grab my phone, I could only stare in wonder.

Have you figured out what kind of hawk? Did you see the falcon up thread?  It was pretty sure I saw a kestrel last year but like you, I was stunned and he flew off before I could react.

{I think we've just been treated to the intimate creakings of ducks about to have s*x}

joanne said:

{I think we've just been treated to the intimate creakings of ducks about to have s*x}

Coopers Hawk is what I saw yesterday as best as I recollect

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.