The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

Nothing like an ice storm to bring out the birdies clamoring for the buffet. 

I finally saw a goldfinch and he is going to town on the thistle feeder.

I can't get a picture of it but there is a cardinal that is either sick or had some terrible conflagration. There are practically NO feathers on its head. Really strange looking. Can't even tell if it is male or female because the rest of the body feathers are also shabby.

PeterWick said:

Nothing like an ice storm to bring out the birdies clamoring for the buffet. 

I finally saw a goldfinch and he is going to town on the thistle feeder.

I can't get a picture of it but there is a cardinal that is either sick or had some terrible conflagration. There are practically NO feathers on its head. Really strange looking. Can't even tell if it is male or female because the rest of the body feathers are also shabby.

Strange time of year to see a Cardinal missing feathers. Hope he recovers.

I picked up some Nyjer seed and put out my thistle feeder so here's hoping. I was dreaming of planting Coneflowers again despite the fact that one of my Woodchucks ate them at the end of the season. Like magic, my very dreams summoned my first small Woodchuck this morning.

While I've read that Eagles are early nesters and have started about now, the Wrens will start in March so I'll put out the nest in a couple of weeks. Either the Wrens, Robbins or Sparrows will take it apart to use or move in.

I rearranged the feeders a bit and now instead of the suet feeders right next to my office, I've hung a bird house. The feeders are set away from it so here's hoping some wrens move in. Or chocolates.

I've also set up a station that has little tufts of raw cotton for making nests.

PeterWick said:

I rearranged the feeders a bit and now instead of the suet feeders right next to my office, I've hung a bird house. The feeders are set away from it so here's hoping some wrens move in. Or chocolates.

I've also set up a station that has little tufts of raw cotton for making nests.

What kind of house did you set up? I used to have one with a hole designed for Woodpeckers but it was overtaken by Starlings. I enjoyed it until it rotted after a few years. I've kept boxes sized for Wrens and they have enjoyed box type as well as the house shaped one. I didn't like that one as I felt it was too small.

marksierra said:

The tally so far - Magpies ... 1.  Humans ... 0

It seems that Australian magpies are an intensely-private bunch, and don't like having their movements followed...

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-attached-tracking-devices-to-magpies-that-s-when-things-got-weird

Great story, thanks!

Morganna said:

What kind of house did you set up? I used to have one with a hole designed for Woodpeckers but it was overtaken by Starlings. 

I hung this woolen thing we bought last fall in Summit. It has a small entry way. I think it might be too close to the house.

The impacts of climate change and bushfires have reduced the number of Australia's wild gang-gang cockatoos and pushed them on to the threatened species list.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-01/gang-gang-cockatoo-listed-on-the-threatened-species-list/100871798

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Lambertville - 2/28/22

Wow!

PeterWick said:

I hung this woolen thing we bought last fall in Summit. It has a small entry way. I think it might be too close to the house.

I haven't had luck with the decorative ones. If you can mount one of these it's your best bet. 

Audubon Wren & Chickadee House

Wild Birds > Bird Houses > Wren / Chickadee Houses > Conventional Houses

Audubon Wren & Chickadee HouseProvide wrens, chickadees, and small songbirds a wonderful roosting spot with the Audubon Wren and Chickadee House. The convenient size and specific craftsmanship on this home create a perfect, secluded nesting option for songbirds. Made from natural cedar, the home repels insects and moisture for a lasting piece. The roof slopes downward while overhanging the 1.125" diameter entry hole, protecting it from rain. A drainage slot on the base of the piece helps the nest remain dry, while ventilation gaps along the top aid in regulating the internal temperature. The front panel opens easily for nest checks and seasonal cleaning, and the brass latch keeps it securely closed while in use. Use the two included screws and predrilled holes on the back to post or fence mount this unit, or attach the base of it to a pole. Keep songbirds returning to your garden with the simple, conventional design and hardy construction of this Wren and Chickadee House. Made in the USA.

Opening: 1.125" dia.
Dimensions: 5.5"W x 7.25"D x 9.5"H
Mounting: pole or post mount
Construction: cedar
Brand: Woodlink
Item Number: AUD-NAWRCH
Availability: 27 in Stock. Ships from OH
Shipping Weight: 4 lbs
SRP: $36.99Your Price: $28.99Free Shipping Over $75Made in USA

Enter Qty: 01234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344454647484950Shipping Cost: To see the shipping cost for an item, click "order item" to add it to your cart. For expedited shipping costs, yo

marksierra said:

The impacts of climate change and bushfires have reduced the number of Australia's wild gang-gang cockatoos and pushed them on to the threatened species list.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-01/gang-gang-cockatoo-listed-on-the-threatened-species-list/100871798

I started painting a series on endangered species and added this Koala after the bushfires.

Morganna said:

I haven't had luck with the decorative ones. If you can mount one of these it's your best bet.

Wild Birds > Bird Houses > Wren / Chickadee Houses > Conventional Houses

I don't have anywhere to place one of those. I just put it up there, wait for it, on a lark.

I've been busy putting out water this winter which usually froze quickly, so today I'm cleaning out winter debris and filling up the fountain and bird baths. The varied weather conditions produced an assortment of results lately.

I relented a while back and bought a heater for the water bath. I go out each morning with a pitcher of hot water. Clean out the basin and fill it with clean water. The birds and squirrels sure do like it.

Always love to see those wild yellow eyes and those iridescent feathers.

A snow day for my feathered friends.

Might be a dup post 

the goldfinches are back!

Redwings have been around pretty regularly 

I'm so determined to get Goldfinches that not only did I buy Nyjer again, I'm cold stratifying Echinacea seeds to get some Coneflowers growing. It was the one lure I found to be irresistible to these elusive birdies.

I have none of the birds that @oots described but I have Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Chickadees, Juncos, Sparrows, and Red Finches.

Morganna said:

I'm so determined to get Goldfinches that not only did I buy Nyjer again, I'm cold stratifying Echinacea seeds to get some Coneflowers growing. It was the one lure I found to be irresistible to these elusive birdies.

I have none of the birds that @oots described but I have Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Chickadees, Juncos, Sparrows, and Red Finches.

we have all those guys also ( not all everyday) as well as the bullies- grackles and starlings- but I do the bullies are pretty 

This morning was quite a show.

Goldies! A couple guys starting to make the turn. I hope they stay around this year. Took forever to find some nyjer seed. Had to order it in bulk online. If anyone wants some, pm me.

Morganna said:

rhw said:

Why is pheasant hunting a thing and seemingly endorsed by the state?

I haven't seen any articles on it but now I'm going to search. As we just got the bear hunt stopped and we are working on protesting the deer hunts, I'm always stunned that a pastime that only a minority of people participate it is tolerated. 

I am a little late to answer this but pheasants are not native to New Jersey. They are actually stocked by hunting clubs or individuals. There are some in the wild--escapes likely--but they aren't many. 

KarenMarlowe said:

I am a little late to answer this but pheasants are not native to New Jersey. They are actually stocked by hunting clubs or individuals. There are some in the wild--escapes likely--but they aren't many. 

Thanks Karen. While we have you here, are you seeing any birdies in your yard?

Morganna said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Thanks Karen. While we have you here, are you seeing any birdies in your yard?

Cardinals, red-bellied woodpeckers, hairy and (I think) a downy woodpecker. Lots of robins, starlings and grackles. House sparrows and song sparrows. Thrushes in the bushes (which should rhyme but doesn’t). Tons of blue jays. Often, a red tail hawk and lots of turkey vultures. 

I watched the Durand-Hedden zoom about backyard birds. While I thought the guy was a little dismissive of normal birders, he did mention that chickadees are practically non-existent in the northeast right now. Nobody knows why.  

KarenMarlowe said:

Cardinals, red-bellied woodpeckers, hairy and (I think) a downy woodpecker. Lots of robins, starlings and grackles. House sparrows and song sparrows. Thrushes in the bushes (which should rhyme but doesn’t). Tons of blue jays. Often, a red tail hawk and lots of turkey vultures. 

I watched the Durand-Hedden zoom about backyard birds. While I thought the guy was a little dismissive of normal birders, he did mention that chickadees are practically non-existent in the northeast right now. Nobody knows why.  

I have Chickadees! I had my camera in hand when he flew the feeder! Been seeing them for a couple of weeks.

OK, so is red the new yellow? My red finches are visiting daily. I cheated and put a bit of mixed seed in the tray, hoping it will start someone picking at the nyjer seed. No goldfinches in sight and yet I wait.

PeterWick said:

Goldies! A couple guys starting to make the turn. I hope they stay around this year. Took forever to find some nyjer seed. Had to order it in bulk online. If anyone wants some, pm me.

Millburn Pet Shop on Millburn Ave near the high school ( used to be Maplewood Pet Shop) has plenty of Nyjer seed. Just got a few pounds.

I bought some nyjer seed online. I have a surplus right now. PM me to pick some up. It's clearly tasty enough.

Morganna said:

No goldfinches in sight and yet I wait.

PeterWick said:

I bought some nyjer seed online. I have a surplus right now. PM me to pick some up. It's clearly tasty enough.

Morganna said:

No goldfinches in sight and yet I wait.

Thanks Peter, I still have a whole package! It was just purchased a few weeks ago. I have had them briefly in the past but they are apparently not making their way to my section of South Orange. I have the roundest and most adorable Robins. ( I like to capitalize bird names.) Some look very young as their color is paler. Or could be female.

Here's the Hummingbird Migration Map. They have been sighted in New Jersey. As it is cold and some flowers are not open yet, it's a good time to get those feeders up.

https://www.hummingbirdsplus.org/hummingbird-migration-map-2021/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.