The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

Yesterday birds were circling and lining up for a drink at our bird bath where the water depth couldn't have been more than a quarter to half inch.

krnl said:

Yesterday birds were circling and lining up for a drink at our bird bath where the water depth couldn't have been more than a quarter to half inch.

I have 3 bird baths and a large fountain. The one in the picture attracts both bathers and drinkers! Kind of a pool with a bar.

Recent bathers. The marigolds bloomed right into December.

Morganna said:

Keep water available for birds as temps drop.

What a beauty! 

What is everyone seeing in their yards? I've noticed Robins, Cardinals, Black Cap Chickadees, Sparrows, Mourning Doves and Mockingbirds. I've been missing the usual ubiquitous Blue Jays.

I took a long feeder break during the summer due to the warnings. It interrupted the usual crowd.

Spotted a Blue Jay. 

It's Spring if I say It's Spring!

I keep putting out warm water, replacing it several times a day. Can't wait for the temps to rise. Still the birds are coming for the seeds and berries.

Ive neglected this thread lately, unable to add decent pix. But I have to report a spectacular sighting even though there’s no pic to show (wrong conditions for my camera phone)

Was sitting with a friend yesterday arvo at a picnic table facing the beach at The Esplanade & Nankeen Ave, Paradise Point. The position is important, because the sun was brightly in our eyes, off the ‘tsunami ripples’ coming in between Hope Island and Ephraim Island. People were walking along the path in front of us, riding bikes, skateboards, walking their dogs, sipping their drinks, playing with their kids…and then a man calmly walked his ginormous brilliantly macaw, perched on his shoulder, along the path!

Rich flaming orange around the eyes, brilliant and deeply electric blues for wings and tail, almost half as tall as the man yet graciously wearing its lead, the macaw sat like a god. Then quietly turned its eyes, or slightly titled its head, not enough to affect balance or ruffle a feather, just to better observe. Majestic. Breathtaking. 
If I see them again, I’ll ask for a pic. 

joanne said:

Ive neglected this thread lately, unable to add decent pix. But I have to report a spectacular sighting even though there’s no pic to show (wrong conditions for my camera phone)

Was sitting with a friend yesterday arvo at a picnic table facing the beach at The Esplanade & Nankeen Ave, Paradise Point. The position is important, because the sun was brightly in our eyes, off the ‘tsunami ripples’ coming in between Hope Island and Ephraim Island. People were walking along the path in front of us, riding bikes, skateboards, walking their dogs, sipping their drinks, playing with their kids…and then a man calmly walked his ginormous brilliantly macaw, perched on his shoulder, along the path!

Rich flaming orange around the eyes, brilliant and deeply electric blues for wings and tail, almost half as tall as the man yet graciously wearing its lead, the macaw sat like a god. Then quietly turned its eyes, or slightly titled its head, not enough to affect balance or ruffle a feather, just to better observe. Majestic. Breathtaking. 
If I see them again, I’ll ask for a pic. 

I love Macaws. I have a picture of me as a kid with them. I went to Florida and was taken to the Parrot Jungle.

"Are you talkin' to me?"

Eastern White-throated Sparrow! It's a male, right? I get a kick out of them 'cause they look like they're wearing a football helmet.

PeterWick said:

Eastern White-throated Sparrow! It's a male, right? I get a kick out of them 'cause they look like they're wearing a football helmet.

Thanks for the ID. I have such a "quarrel of sparrows" that I am usually careless about identifying them. Couldn't resist looking up the phrase for the group so I thought it would be fun to post this list.

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/nature/collective-nouns-for-birds-68344

Thought readers of this thread might be interested in the two avian vagrants just spotted in north-west Australia. These birdies are actually meant to be in Borneo, not dry, dusty Western Australia! There’s also a lovely pic of a the peacock that lives on the property.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-26/rare-bird-flies-into-outback-roadhouse-instead-of-borneo/100780106

Making eye contact with a Dark Eyed Junco.

Hen hangs out with sparrows under the skip laurel. 

Morganna said:

What winged creatures are in your garden?

Took the feeder in at sunrise and used a blow dryer to melt all of the snow mixed with the seed. The minute I hung it with fresh seed the crowd arrived. Once the snow stops, I'm sure I'll see more guests.

Nuthin' like a good snowfall to get a huge turnout at the buffet!

You don’t have room for more smile

And then the deer arrive.

100s of Robins! Stripped the Holly Berries and the small Cherry or Crab apple, not sure which.

They were on the lawn yesterday and flying around wildly this morning to the bewilderment of my 2 resident ferals.

Almost here! The Great Backyard Bird Count!

https://www.birdcount.org/

Stunning artistic studies of Australian bush birds - the spotted pardalotte looks like it’s all decked out for a fancy ball! The purple swamphen is also dreamy; I could breed them, if I had a large enough property:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-21/tasmanian-bird-artist-susan-lester-to-be-published/100839134

I saw a red headed pileated woodpecker in the Watchung Reservation - close to Lake Surprise!  Very exciting to see (and hear).  I wish I had a better camera - here's a stock photo and a shot from my phone.

jamie said:

I saw a red headed pileated woodpecker in the Watchung Reservation - close to Lake Surprise!  Very exciting to see (and hear).  I wish I had a better camera - here's a stock photo and a shot from my phone.

I took this blurry picture a few years ago on my street in South Orange. Turns out it was exactly this day in 2015!

The tally so far - Magpies ... 1.  Humans ... 0

It seems that Australian magpies are an intensely-private bunch, and don't like having their movements followed...

https://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-attached-tracking-devices-to-magpies-that-s-when-things-got-weird

anyone have goldfinches?  last feb we had dozens.  finch feeder is untouched not a goldfinch to be found.

Same here. Juncos galore. Finches I cannot identify. Mourning doves trying to get at the thistle seed. But no goldfinches. I was wondering if it was just me.

No goldfinches but maybe I should put out a thistle feeder again. Sparrows, Juncos, Chickadees, Robins, Blue Jays and Doves.

I have a nest that fell out of a tree and wondering when is the best time to put it out for either ready made nest or materials. The last time Robins left their nest, the sparrows moved it piece by piece. Guess they didn't like the spot. Location, location, location.

My current nesting box was ignored by the Wrens last year. I always clean it out but they ignored it. I always like to remind people that if they see the males building, it will be only one of several casually thrown together nests. Once the females check out the prospective homes, they chose one and then redecorate.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.