The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

oots said:

let the festivities begin!

Wow! Beautiful!!!!

oots said:

a few woodies 

Amazing! We don’t have a suet feeder up. Can I ask what you hang it from? 

Morganna said:

OK I'm posting on the thread title to gather your pictures of cardinals or any other red birds to post on Valentine's Day. Old ones, new ones and we can post the slightly red females for a shout out to the under honered girls on the wing. 

Snap away.

I am embarrassed to post a blurry shot from an I-phone, but I wanted to add to Morganna’s wonderful idea in the spirit of things. Happy Valentines Day to my fellow birdwatchers

hot off the presses ( now!)

birdwatcher said:

Amazing! We don’t have a suet feeder up. Can I ask what you hang it from? 

Here is our set up

oots said:

hot off the presses ( now!)

Where are my Goldfinches? I've tried to attract them with Nyjer but it goes bad quickly with any rain and the sparrows don't even care for it. I planted Coneflowers and they stopped by but the Woodchucks ravage the flowers in no time.

Great shots. I'm getting ready to post male Cardinals but I have to edit. I have huge Hollies and they like to nest in them so I always have a wealth of Cardinal couples.

oots said:

Here is our set up

squirrel proof!!

Morganna said:

Where are my Goldfinches? I've tried to attract them with Nyjer but it goes bad quickly with any rain and the sparrows don't even care for it. I planted Coneflowers and they stopped by but the Woodchucks ravage the flowers in no time.

Great shots. I'm getting ready to post male Cardinals but I have to edit. I have huge Hollies and they like to nest in them so I always have a wealth of Cardinal couples.

our nyjer feeder gets pretty busy- doesn’t seem to go bad. Gets visited by finches, sparrows,  nuthatches and juncos  and chickadees 

House finches ( from a few months ago)

oots said:

Here is our set up

Oots- are you off of Ridgewood? I was walking home a while back and heard a TON of bird noise. I looked in a backyard and saw a bird haven, which made me happy.  Tons of feeders. Are they yours? 

oots said:

our nyjer feeder gets pretty busy- doesn’t seem to go bad. Gets visited by finches, sparrows,  nuthatches and juncos  and chickadees 

Hmm,  do you have them year round? Does the nyjer feeder work best?  I've gone through one or two. I'm going to give it another try.

yup

birdwatcher said:

Oots- are you off of Ridgewood? I was walking home a while back and heard a TON of bird noise. I looked in a backyard and saw a bird haven, which made me happy.  Tons of feeders. Are they yours? 

Morganna said:

Hmm,  do you have them year round? Does the nyjer feeder work best?  I've gone through one or two. I'm going to give it another try.

we do have them year round- the finches actually feed more off the regular tube feeder( the one above with the cardinal)

Once they discovered our feeders they began to visit on occasion, but now that it is winter, they are all over that thing. Juncos, and finches. No nuthatches on them that I've seen. The mourning doves try to get in on the action, too.

Of course! I go to take a pic and the place is empty.

Here is the entry I mis-posted:

Couple of years ago, I saw a juvenile cardinal begging for food from an adult male. He relented, and fed it on the ground under the feeder.

Remaining photos are 'crisper' reds. Ringneck pheasant, golden pheasant (Turtleback Zoo) and red ibis (Central Park Zoo & Bronx Zoo). Lastly a red macaw, seen at an orchid show in Florida.

oots said:

I love it! What a set up! Well done. 

Morganna said:

Sooooooo handsome! Beautiful photos. You can see more “exotic” birds, but a cardinal is still such a showstopper. I love their calls too. 

This is a work-in-progress mural by my cousin Jake Messing... Enjoy.

-s.

soda said:

-s.

Wow, does he have a FB page or website?

steel said:

Self Portrait

Love this! We need to start a Gallery thread!

That pheasant, tomcat, is more than stunning! I literally gasped aloud when I saw it - those colours!!  snake
Edited to correct poster’s name - I’m so sorry, I don’t mean to mix you two up in my mind it’s just been a very confusing treatment day. (Got my radiation tatts and dates, woohoo!)

Morganna said:

soda said:

-s.

Wow, does he have a FB page or website?

You betcha!

http://www.jakemessing.com/

-s.

soda said:

You betcha!

http://www.jakemessing.com/

-s.

Just browsing the site. Gorgeous work. Is he local?

steel said:

Self Portrait

Is that your painting? If so, I love it. 

birdwatcher said:

steel said:

Self Portrait

Is that your painting? If so, I love it. 

It is indeed. Oil on panel 6"x6" (which I did decide for some reason was a self-portrait). Artistically the pandemic has been good to me. I've created over 100 paintings in the last year which I never would have done otherwise. Most are approximately 12"x12" but some as big as 2'x4'.

My wife keeps asking me "What are we going to do with all of these?" To which I reply, "That's not my problem." -ha!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.