The Uncaged Bird -Hummingbird feeder is up!

mjc said:

Doesn't look like a finch beak?  could it be a kinglet, or ??  I love the face and attitude, but can't come up with the name.

Morganna, thanks for posting your pictures, always a place to come for peace and beauty. : )

Thank you @mjc and now I'm going to search for this little bird. 

I think you're right. I'm not sure I've identified this little bird before. I once saw a tiny bird like this but thought it was some kind of warbler. I found this video online and it is a Kinglet and looks quite like the little bird I saw.

What a happy chap to observe in all that snow!!  snake

We have had some wrens recently at our feeder, can’t tell for sure, but could be one of them .

lynnl199 said:

We have had some wrens recently at our feeder, can’t tell for sure, but could be one of them .

It's the thin pointy beak that sets this little one apart. @mjc spotted it. There was an olive cast to the feathers so I jumped to the conclusion that it was a Goldfinch. But it does look like a Kinglet. 

All in our yard today 

Cooper’s hawk and house finches 

How thick were the legs? We have either a Cooper's or a Sharp Shinned hawk visiting our place. The thinner legs and maybe the size (smaller, like a big pigeon) distinguish the Sharpies. I think Joy showed me that.

bikefixed said:

How thick were the legs? We have either a Cooper's or a Sharp Shinned hawk visiting our place. The thinner legs and maybe the size (smaller, like a big pigeon) distinguish the Sharpies. I think Joy showed me that.

we are pretty sure its a coopers.  the tail when flying gave us the determinization between coopers vs sharp shinned.  he flew back and forth from several trees over about 1/2 hour-quite a sight

oots said:

All in our yard today 

Cooper’s hawk and house finches 

Great siting. The beak on the Hawk reminds me of the Peregrine Falcon. Handsome bird. Now I'm wondering if the Falcon that I thought I saw years ago was this little Hawk.

Happy 2021! The black swan family is very proud to present 2 fluffy grey cygnets to the Big Wide World today, one paddling very energetically and sticking close to Mum and the other nestled deeply and safely on Dad’s back (under his wings).

Dad could not be prouder. Both parents are exceptionally protective (they may have already lost a smaller nestling)

I didn’t have a camera to hand, sadly and trying to grab one would have disturbed the peace required for the birds’ proximity to us. With luck, pix tomorrow. 

As promised:

The littles headed straight for a juicy clump of grassy leaves straight under the bank planking, underneath our bank, and tore that bright green leaf off. They had so much fun trying to chew it, actually swimming in circles as they shared it and tried to split it further while following Mum and Dad. So cute!

Then, afterwards, I noticed not-a-bird: I hope you can see the old turtle under the water, he was almost surfacing to say Good Morning. 

So it’s an irruption of budgies!  smile  5,000 of them to be exact...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-03/inland-birds-thrive-after-high-rainfall/13024148

Article also has pretty pix of buttonquails and crimson chats, among others thought to have been critically low until recently rains. 

Such good news! and thanks for the pix, joanne.  (and your little swans, busy busy busy)

Video from last year, a friend reminded me of it. (This clip is dated 2013/2014. There was another flock spotted last year)

Surfing swans at Kirra Beach:  many thanks to marksierra who helped me  sort out the video  confused

Still not-a-bird but apparently closely related to mermaids, dugongs can be a magical sight. Especially around the Reef at present, with the warmer waters and increasing pollution. 
This lucky dogwalker was in the right place at the right time to capture very rare footage of two dugong mating:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-09/dugong-mating-footage-captured-off-yeppoon-beach/13039378

A Mockingbird resting among the berries.

Chickadee and Mallard

lambertville, Delaware Canal

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Chickadee and Mallard

lambertville, Delaware Canal

This photo of the ducks is gorgeous.

I don’t think I’d realised it’s an ‘unkindness’ of ravens

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/14/tower-of-london-raven-missing-feared-dead
I hope Merlina returns, safe and well. 

joanne said:

I don’t think I’d realised it’s an ‘unkindness’ of ravens

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jan/14/tower-of-london-raven-missing-feared-dead
I hope Merlina returns, safe and well. 

A very unfair name. As is "a murder of crows".

I was conflicted about Joe the racing pigeon, especially when we have plovers that fly from China to here for nesting, but now it looks like he has a reprieve

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jan/15/joe-the-pigeons-life-may-be-spared-after-fake-leg-tag-suggests-hes-not-from-the-us

Today at Brendan Byrne state forest- Pine Barrens

Tundra Swans

cell phone photo- birds about 200 yards from me

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Today at Brendan Byrne state forest- Pine Barrens

Tundra Swans

cell phone photo- birds about 200 yards from me

What kind of camera do you like best?  

A young sharpie I believe 

In our tree today 

Morganna said:

What kind of camera do you like best?  

These were taken with my iPhone 11.  When I am on a photography trip, I take a D800 with Nikon 150-500 telephoto. 

Yesterday's was a hiking trip. I don't take the expensive stuff on hikes in case I fall. I have fallen three times on hikes.

Swan family updates:

The family have taken to strolling around our village streets around lunchtime, finding cool, shady lawns with juicy grass for the young’uns to sit on and munch. They really enjoy that! It’s a little like the fun of chewing ice cubes, I imagine, except not quite as cold and first they have to yank it out of the roots. 
You can see how much the cygnets have grown. Their wings are still quite small, though.

Dad, as I think I’ve mentioned, has taken to calling my D to come out by drumming on the long glass windows, mainly of the dining room. He uses his beak, slightly open to amplify the knock. 
We also noticed that a feathered friend had left a large white egg just in front of where the Daddy Swan pic was taken. It didn’t look like a swan egg; maybe an ibis or egret egg? No nest, and it didn’t seem viable - all covered in hundreds of black ants. LOL Daddy Swan might have been trying to tell us about it. 

joanne said:

Swan family updates:

The family have taken to strolling around our village streets around lunchtime, finding cool, shady lawns with juicy grass for the young’uns to sit on and munch. They really enjoy that! It’s a little like the fun of chewing ice cubes, I imagine, except not quite as cold and first they have to yank it out of the roots. 
You can see how much the cygnets have grown. Their wings are still quite small, though.

Dad, as I think I’ve mentioned, has taken to calling my D to come out by drumming on the long glass windows, mainly of the dining room. He uses his beak, slightly open to amplify the knock. 
We also noticed that a feathered friend had left a large white egg just in front of where the Daddy Swan pic was taken. It didn’t look like a swan egg; maybe an ibis or egret egg? No nest, and it didn’t seem viable - all covered in hundreds of black ants.
LOL
Daddy Swan might have been trying to tell us about it. 

They are magical!

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

These were taken with my iPhone 11.  When I am on a photography trip, I take a D800 with Nikon 150-500 telephoto. 

Yesterday's was a hiking trip. I don't take the expensive stuff on hikes in case I fall. I have fallen three times on hikes.

I have an old Cannon Rebel but once I got my Nikon I relied on that one. I just watched a Webinair by a wildlife photographer called Tin Man. It was long and mainly was a pitch for his thousand buck series. But it was interesting that he swears by working without a tri pod. I don't use one because I'm just grabbing my camera when I see action in my yard. 

My last trek through the Reservation left me as lost as Alice asking the Cheshire Cat " which way""As for falling my last event was putting out the garbage in deep snow. As I was forced to wave my arms in what may have looked like an attempt at Snow Angels, I'm pretty sure my neighbors assumed I was drunk.

I used my tripod, only for the couple of photos that hang on the wall at Parkwood. I don't recall ever using it for anything else. I guess that reflects lack of imagination.

All outdoor stuff is 1/8000 with the Nikon 150 - 500.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

I used my tripod, only for the couple of photos that hang on the wall at Parkwood. I don't recall ever using it for anything else. I guess that reflects lack of imagination.

All outdoor stuff is 1/8000 with the Nikon 150 - 500.

I use photos as reference for my paintings which are usually pretty photo realistic. So I try to get them as sharp as possible.

Of course now that I"m doing a series on Endangered Species, I can't use my own photo reference. I try to give the photographer credit but some of the pics I stumble across are not credited. 

Wish I lived surrounded by owls and wolves.

One of the Endangered paintings.

Didn't see many birds yesterday but filled the feeder and birds showed up in the storm.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!