The Uncaged Bird -My first Hummingbird has arrived 4/26/2024

I won't post the actual videos here, because the site's owner has asked they not be re-uploaded without her consent, but - for your delectation and pleasure - enjoy!!

http://www.magpieaholic.com/videos/

Be sure to watch the BatBird clip! So funny!!

We used to have a flock of juvenile magpies visit the house behind mine when it was being built.  They'd be poking around the foundations and hanging off the floor joists and generally appearing to have a great time!

I also have a magpie that comes to visit and 'help' me whenever I'm mowing my lawn.  Unfortunately, it tends to stand in my path.  I don't want to chase it away too vigorously, because I want it to stay friendly.

Today’s finds- at Cox hall creek WMA in villas nj

Eastern  bluebird 

Double breasted cormorant 

Mallard

oots said:

Cape May Point State Park-today 

These are beautiful!

Today at South cape May meadows 

Great white egret and greater yellow legs

Morganna said:

What, no pictures?

Its a video and I couldn't figure out how to get it from iPhone to M.O.L.

It's really too bad we cannot upload videos. I was working away on the backyard garden and I look up and there's Frankie (my wife named him that, don't ask) not 6 feet from me, just trying to get one last snack before the sun goes down. Can downy woodpeckers develop trust in a human?

A fine fellow!  They always look so sharp in black & white, set off by the red kippa.

They are not as skittish as some, imo.  Finches and chickadees also less flighty : ) than house sparrows and juncos?  Mourning doves don't even seem to notice i'm there for quite a while, but honestly i put that down to extreme bird-brain syndrome.

Got a pair of Woodpeckers, ballancing their socially distanced dining. On the far side is a male Northern Flicker, check out the black mustache. Looks like a female Red Bellied Woodpecker on the right.

bikefixed said:

Can downy woodpeckers develop trust in a human?

Yes,  I refer you to "George." The Downy in Central Park by Turtle Pond. He would sit on people's shoulders, especially if there was food involved. No food? Only if he was familiar with you. There was a book written about George. That was about 10 years ago. I don't know if he is still living.

There were other Central Park Downies that would steel food out of your hand. 

I gotta try that. He's at that post feeder a few times every day.

There was a book written about George. If I find it, do you want to borrow?

Morganna said:

Got a pair of Woodpeckers, ballancing their socially distanced dining. On the far side is a male Northern Flicker, check out the black mustache. Looks like a female Red Bellied Woodpecker on the right.

Where are you located? In my backyard there are few opportunities to feed without pigeons and starlings making a commotion.

A hooded merganser 

A pair of buffleheads 

Got home from hospital yesterday just after lunch, as a storm was brewing. Ducks were enjoying their version of high-speed kite-surfing (basically, sit in the water, back to the wind, and let it push you around) and later on, ‘in-air underwater sailing’ (15+ hours of steady rain makes you creative).

Lots of ducks raiding people’s gardens for snacks this morning!! And sheltering anywhere that looked promising (balcony furniture, planter pots, two pigeons on top of my balcony cupboard, one on a neighbour’s motorbike)... 

bikefixed said:

Where are you located? In my backyard there are few opportunities to feed without pigeons and starlings making a commotion.

South Orange. Half the property is woods so lots of nesting opportunities.

Jealous. We're right by the Millburn tip of the reservation but definitely in a residential neighborhood. Bummer. We're not too far for the Cooper's hawk though. She seems to like the pigeons based on the feather piles I find.

Oh sure!!! You ignore this place when it's nice out but now... I wonder which of them are males and females but since they put away the sharp duds for the winter - and I'm colorblind - it will have to wait. I guess I gotta keep the Nyjer seed out even though there is a wider variety of stuff in the other feeders.

bikefixed said:

Jealous. We're right by the Millburn tip of the reservation but definitely in a residential neighborhood. Bummer. We're not too far for the Cooper's hawk though. She seems to like the pigeons based on the feather piles I find.

Plenty of neighbors but a corner lot with a strip of wooded land, but that small lot makes a lot of critters comfy. Nirvana for a city kid. Check this out.

Morganna said:

Plenty of neighbors but a corner lot with a strip of wooded land, but that small lot makes a lot of critters comfy. Nirvana for a city kid. Check this out.

I suppose there is a lot of free time at that household, what with the notion that it is pointless trying to do any gardening. ;-)

Morgana, thought you would appreciate knowing that  my shelter rescue in late 2019, Harry, has been window watching an incredible assortment of birds at my feeder every day. My rear yard runs into acres of Pinelands Preserve, so critters, winged and four footed, are plentiful. 

A concern I have is over the lockdown and pets suddenly denied visits with friends and relatives. In my case, an only “child”. Do you see problems, or have you heard about issues of  pets affected by social isolation? 

I know that Harry has made the lockdown less crazy for me!

mtierney said:

Morgana, thought you would appreciate knowing that  my shelter rescue in late 2019, Harry, has been window watching an incredible assortment of birds at my feeder every day. My rear yard runs into acres of Pinelands Preserve, so critters, winged and four footed, are plentiful. 

A concern I have is over the lockdown and pets suddenly denied visits with friends and relatives. In my case, an only “child”. Do you see problems, or have you heard about issues of  pets affected by social isolation? 

I know that Harry has made the lockdown less crazy for me!

This boy of mine, Gwynn, practices social isolation as a religion. Gwynn, all 18 lbs of him has run upstairs and hid under the covers anytime he hears a passing car or another human voice. I fostered him almost 10 years ago for the JAC when he was found at about 4 weeks old hiding under a car. And here he stayed.

Gwynn now and then.

Not a clear picture but I think this is a Goldfinch in winter feathers. I'm seeing a few birds feasting on assorted berries.

Doesn't look like a finch beak?  could it be a kinglet, or ??  I love the face and attitude, but can't come up with the name.

Morganna, thanks for posting your pictures, always a place to come for peace and beauty. : )

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!