The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

jimmurphy said:

Woot!

Woot is an understatement... snake...congrats on your achievement. I'm at 39/204 and don't see how I can come up with three more words to get me to QB today. 

alha said:

Woot is an understatement...
snake
...congrats on your achievement. I'm at 39/204 and don't see how I can come up with three more words to get me to QB today. 

Thanks Alha! The final word was pretty ironic…

Nonillion.

I also missed that! After all that nonillion talk. And loon. . . .

zucca said:

I also missed that! After all that nonillion talk. And loon. . . .

I’m trying to join/pair words.

If you get lion, you get nonillion.

Cocoa, cacao, coca.

Etc.

I don’t care for today’s letters so far. 

jimmurphy said:

Cocoa, cacao, coca.

Etc.

My son and I do that too (acai, acacia, etc.), but some of them just don't seem to lodge into my head. 

zucca said:

jimmurphy said:

Cocoa, cacao, coca.

Etc.

My son and I do that too (acai, acacia, etc.), but some of them just don't seem to lodge into my head. 

It's surprising how often nonillion comes up.

not always!

oots said:

not always!

Why not? One of the letters has to be in the center...

jimmurphy said:

Why not? One of the letters has to be in the center...

i mean-I dont neccessarily find lion even if I  found nonillion ( which I look for now-but missed the other day)

made it to QB today  question

alha said:

made it to QB today 
question

Nice! Way to go!

I'm at 20/54. Last word I got earlier was the/a Pangram.  

Will have to revisit, although I am not hopeful as there was a lo-o-o-o-ng stretch between finding words.

jimmurphy said:

Nice! Way to go!

I'm at 20/54. Last word I got earlier was the/a Pangram.  

Will have to revisit, although I am not hopeful as there was a lo-o-o-o-ng stretch between finding words.

Correction 21/68. The pangram did not register from the iPad on the train (first day back in the office)

So that means three 4-letter words. More hopeful!

I also got to Queen Bee today. My son did it, so I felt like I had to too!

zucca said:

I also got to Queen Bee today. My son did it, so I felt like I had to too!

I missed Nene, a word I almost always get.  Oh well.

Me too! Great day to go for it!

Embarrassed by the last word I got, which was "High." 

Congrats to both of you...I'm calling it a night at 21/114 and won't be joining you two in the winner's circle today  LOL

I got Queen Bee yesterday too.

KarenMarlowe said:

I got Queen Bee yesterday too.

congrats to you too... grinI missed filch and filching, words I should have gotten, grr

Why wasn't "unindicted" included in yesterday's (10/18) puzzle. It's a common word. It's been used in the NY Times over a thousand times. Wrote to them; didn't even get back the standard response.

KarenMarlowe said:

Why wasn't "unindicted" included in yesterday's (10/18) puzzle. It's a common word. It's been used in the NY Times over a thousand times. Wrote to them; didn't even get back the standard response.

Wondered that too. A few days ago “undaunted” wasn’t there either. Emailed and got the standard response. 

Only missed word yesterday was “binning.”

Binning? 

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

Wondered that too. A few days ago “undaunted” wasn’t there either. Emailed and got the standard response. 

Only missed word yesterday was “binning.”

Binning? 

I actually emailed them about "undaunted." I got back the standard response. I got "binning" but only because I was fishing. Missed five words yesterday, most of them easy.

KarenMarlowe said:

I actually emailed them about "undaunted." I got back the standard response. I got "binning" but only because I was fishing. Missed five words yesterday, most of them easy.

I looked it up and see what it means, but the inconsistency of omitting more common words and accepting more obscure words does annoy me at times.

jimmurphy said:

KarenMarlowe said:

I looked it up and see what it means, but the inconsistency of omitting more common words and accepting more obscure words does annoy me at times.

"Binning" seems to be a word that should be on their no-no list. Being one that is "hyper-specific to any background or professional field, such as terms that might be familiar to, say, a physician or geologist, but not people outside of that area of expertise."

jimmurphy said:

Woot!

congrats! I'm one word shy of QB and that's very likely where I'll end up for today. Enjoy the view at the top!  question

jimmurphy said:

Woot!

Damn.  That means I need 4 more words for Queen Bee.  Currently at 19 words/102 points.

yahooyahoo said:

Damn.  That means I need 4 more words for Queen Bee.  Currently at 19 words/102 points.

Then you got the big 19-point word, which was my second-to-last. Well done! Glad others are still doing this.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Advertisement

Advertise here!