The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

oots said:

I’m pangramless today-ugh

I would always mistake this word for the last name of a popular singer who was torn...

Pretty tough to get Genius today without the Pangram. I’m 2 points from QB at 22/58.

Correction, 1 point.

KarenMarlowe said:

Congrats!

Congrats from me too...I came close but missed it by a word I was unfamiliar with, brio. 

Managed Genius without the Pangram today, but kept at it a while. Took a complete guess at what I thought was a nonsense word but that was it!

Looked it up and realized the irony of never having heard of the word.

jimmurphy said:

Managed Genius without the Pangram today, but kept at it a while. Took a complete guess at what I thought was a nonsense word but that was it!

I am totally stuck. Good to know it's a hard word!  oh oh

jimmurphy said:

me too...made it to Genus without the Pangram but am calling it a night with 41/124...not even going to try to guess what the nonsense word is.

KarenMarlowe said:

I am totally stuck. Good to know it's a hard word! 

Unless there’s another, more obvious word, I think it’s pretty damn hard. Complete luck that I got it.

My kind of Bee today...made it to QB for the second time ever  grin

alha said:

My kind of Bee today...made it to QB for the second time ever 
grin

Congrats! Struggling a little today for some reason. Just not seeing the words. 

alha said:

My kind of Bee today...made it to QB for the second time ever 
grin

Woot! 

I missed "idiot," "dimwit" and "nitwit." Quite telling...

KarenMarlowe said:

I missed "idiot," "dimwit" and "nitwit." Quite telling...

hahaha...on a similar note, the word that got me to QB yesterday was none other than "twit"

But it IS a word. A real word. And the puzzle rejected it. 

I hate to be this person, but can we please not post words (or other big hints, which has happened previously) in this thread from the current day’s puzzle? 

Heynj said:

But it IS a word. A real word. And the puzzle rejected it. 

There have been several times I entered legitimate words (e.g. in the Webster's dictionary) and they were rejected.  I'm not sure how the determine which words will be accepted.

I was a little surprised that embolize was not included. 

But I was talking about the words that showed above embolize. I was two words away from Queen, but one of them was meze. 

zucca said:

But I was talking about the words that showed above embolize. I was two words away from Queen, but one of them was meze. 

I know. I agree with you. I just don't think that Heynj thought about that... 

zucca said:

Meze, mezze, and annoyingly, melee for me.

jimmurphy said:

Meze, mezze, and annoyingly, melee for me.

Meze (but which I saw here) and mimeo for me. 

How do you know how many words you need to find in order to be crowned Queen Bee?

Elle_Cee said:

How do you know how many words you need to find in order to be crowned Queen Bee?

The QB score is twice the amazing score, +/- 1. 

I don’t know if there is a way to find the number of words.

Thank you! Asking for a friend. I don't play these games as I don't like being reminded of the paucity of my intellect.  I agree with one of the posters above that the words accepted seem pretty arbitrary.  "Meze" or "mezze" are accepted, but "nonna" is not?

jimmurphy said:

Elle_Cee said:

Change the URL to the date you're looking for and, yes, you can cheat and look up the answers to the current day's game.

In the manner of the various cooking shows, although in this case I'm probably cooking the books - here's one I prepared earlier ... https://nytbee.com/Bee_20210801.html

Knowing what the goal was, my friend achieved Queen Bee!  Thanks again!

Elle_Cee said:

Knowing what the goal was, my friend achieved Queen Bee!  Thanks again!

Excellent!

jimmurphy said:

Have you seen it be +1? I've seen only twice amazing and twice amazing -1. Just curious.

zucca said:

Have you seen it be +1? I've seen only twice amazing and twice amazing -1. Just curious.

I guess not.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!