The NYT Spelling Bee Thread

The response is just a canned response. I've emailed a few times and I've gotten the same response each time.

drummerboy said:

The response is just a canned response. I've emailed a few times and I've gotten the same response each time.

You'd hope that your emails are read, at least.

I always try words that haven't counted in the past, because in the space of a week, "poppet" went from not counting to counting. There have been others that I'm not thinking of now. "Hit and hope" is my motto here.

Couldn't wait for today to complain about the inclusion of the word "hiya." I mean, c'mon, if that's not slang, I don't know what is!

They’ll take “hiya” but not “bimbo” or “lenten”?!

Heynj said:

They’ll take “hiya” but not “bimbo” or “lenten”?!

"Lenten" is a big grrr for me too... 

Stuck at 87! The center F is killing me. 

and pappy but not mammy

mjc said:

and pappy but not mammy

Didn’t realize they take pappy but I assume mammy has a racial connotation. Maybe both do.

I try Lenten all the time but I guess they avoid religion too.

No pangram for me today.

jimmurphy said:

mjc said:

and pappy but not mammy

Didn’t realize they take pappy but I assume mammy has a racial connotation. Maybe both do.

No pangram for me today.

Me either. "Malefic." Huh! 

marylago said:

jimmurphy said:

mjc said:

and pappy but not mammy

No pangram for me today.

Me either. "Malefic." Huh! 

I kept thinking about that movie Maleficent and stumbled upon malefic.  

Yep. I totally got it by mistake.

yahooyahoo said:

I kept thinking about that movie Maleficent and stumbled upon malefic.  

Same for me on Maleficent, but I didn't get there. 

marylago said:

Couldn't wait for today to complain about the inclusion of the word "hiya." I mean, c'mon, if that's not slang, I don't know what is!

hiya fella!

Okay, now I’m ticked. I, too, thought of “Maleficent” and tried a number of what I thought were creative combos. “Malefic”?! Ugh. Sometimes that puzzle makes me feel brilliant, and sometimes it’s a real blow to my IQ…

I confess I got "malefic", not because I knew the word, but because I was thinking to myself "wouldn't it be funny if we referred to books about men as 'malefic". Then it was actually a word, and it took me a second to realize it wasn't the word I thought I had just made up.

Heynj said:

Okay, now I’m ticked. I, too, thought of “Maleficent” and tried a number of what I thought were creative combos. “Malefic”?! Ugh. Sometimes that puzzle makes me feel brilliant, and sometimes it’s a real blow to my IQ…

Seriously...

47 words for me today, 301 points, including 3 pangrams. Apparently for me, it is all about the gerunds. All credit for today’s success goes to I and N and their friend — and mine — G. Anyone else feel absolutely exhausted by the time “Genius” flashes on your screen!?

Heynj said:

47 words for me today, 301 points, including 3 pangrams. Apparently for me, it is all about the gerunds. All credit for today’s success goes to I and N and their friend — and mine — G. Anyone else feel absolutely exhausted by the time “Genius” flashes on your screen!?

I got to 303 with 49 words.  I think that the 297 required to get to genius is the most I have seen.

61/385 but gave up. I think Queen Bee was like 424 or something. Couldn’t subject myself to that… Enough is enough. 

My son and I each had about 408 but combined for Queen Bee. It’s not like getting it on my own but at least now I can stop looking. 

I think the reason the Spelling Bee isn’t timed is because we’d be horrified at how much time we spend on it. 

zucca said:

I think the reason the Spelling Bee isn’t timed is because we’d be horrified at how much time we spend on it. 

Exactly!

Because of the time differences, I can get to the game within minutes of a new one being published.  It appears at 5:00pm my time - just as I'm about to knock off work for the day.  I find I'm still working through the options some time later.

403 yesterday - definitely highest score ever. Quite the flurry of words at the start.

Only misses were gigolo, goofing, and nonillion. Probably never could have gotten nonillion. Hopefully will see it now.

As mentioned, lots of time spent. Especially during boring conference calls when I don’t need to be attentive.

Gigolo and nonillion were the two I missed. I miss nonillion with some regularity, as it appears not infrequently. Just don't seem to be able to get it into my head.

And in this day and age, how does WiFi not make the list?

zucca said:

Gigolo and nonillion were the two I missed. I miss nonillion with some regularity, as it appears not infrequently. Just don't seem to be able to get it into my head.

For a change, I got nonillion, but I missed a bunch of words. Think I ended up with about 385. Agree about the initial flurry of words yesterday, unlike today, although the pangram was the first thing I saw.

zucca said:

I've also have never once got nonillion; something about it just doesn't seem to stick for me.

jimmurphy said:

And in this day and age, how does WiFi not make the list?

Seriously.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.