The Cooking Thread

my stove is definitely on the "low performance" end of the spectrum. I think I'm going to ask my landlord to upgrade that thing. It takes me about 45 minutes to cook pasta because it takes forever for the water to come to a boil.

BrickPig said:

drummerboy
said:

How do you folks cook corn on the cob? I keep on seeing recipes that require boiling quarts of water. (Which on my under-powered stove takes forever.)  I don't get it. I regularly cook (steam) my corn in an inch or so of boiling water for about 10 minutes. Comes out perfectly and takes hardly any time.

Am I missing something?

Generally speaking I grill corn on the cob, most often using the method @lanky described above. Occasionally I will shuck it first and then grill it directly on the grate to get a little char on the corn. When I cook it on the stove, I boil it in just a little more water than what is necessary to make the ears float freely in the pot. 

Does your stove have a high performance burner? That probably seems like a stupid question, but I've been using my stove for nearly 14 years and I never realized it had a high performance burner until a couple years ago when a buddy pointed it out to me. He came to help me with a batch of homebrew, and I was complaining about how long it took to bring the water to a boil. He asked me if there was any particular reason I wasn't using the high performance burner, and I had no idea what he was talking about. Sure enough, one of the burners says -- right on the panel -- "High Performance." I had never even noticed it. Makes a big difference. 

I have a good stove, but I often use my electric kettle to bring water to a boil quickly.

hmm. do I have an electric kettle? maybe

I was looking up alternative ways of making pasta, and one I'm going to try is to cook it in a large shallow pan with just enough water to cover.

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/how-to/boil-pasta-half-time-0162707/

angelak said:

I have a good stove, but I often use my electric kettle to bring water to a boil quickly.

I rarely make corn on the cob anymore but when I did I made it in the microwave with husks on. Why add humidity to the kitchen particularly when you're likely to cook it in the summer. I have a great cookbook that deals with cooking with the microwave (Barbara Kafka I think) and that's the method I use. Here's a link I quickly found about the method:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-corn-on-the-cob-in-the-microwave-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-205204

I used to pressure cook my corn on the cob, but if you have a slow stove that will be a nightmare. 

What about shucking the cob, adding a knob of butter then wrapping in foil, baking in oven for about 20-40mins to taste? You can play with the timing so you get your preferred level of roasted/sweet/effort to tug from cob. 

Or do the same effect on your bbq grill. (Even better in the actual coals)

Well, grilling is not an option, and I've found my solution. I used to microwave, but steaming it in a bit of water is not much less convenient, and it soothes the purist in me. cheese

I should say I go through a lot of corn in the summer. About 4-5 cobs a week just for me. My son doesn't eat it for some reason. But we're reaching the end of season.

you should make some ahead and freeze for off-season! 

Sadly, my freezer is already all booked up.

To change the subject, I made this mean meatball-sausage "casserole" (dunno why it had that name) with some rigatoni, and it was seriously kicka**. One of the better things I've cooked recently. It's a NYTimes recipe, but I think this link will work if you open it in a private window.  recipe link

It's also copied below.

I followed the recipe pretty closely, though I almost doubled the amount of ground beef for the meatballs (used a pork,beef and veal blend), 2 eggs instead of 1 egg and broth, extra bread crumbs (amount unknown) and 1 and 3/4 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes. No nutmeg. Probably through in some extra garlic because that's what I do. Extra parm cheese.

I also tried that new way of cooking pasta. I cooked 1 lb rigatoni in about 2 inches of water in a big flat sided saute pan. Took about 22-25 minutes from start to finish, which for me is a huge improvement. The pasta came out just fine.

Plus, I can't even believe that you could make the recipe below with only two cups of crushed tomatoes.

Meatball and Sausage Casserole

Ingredients

• ¾ pound ground turkey, chicken, beef, pork or veal or any combination
  • ½ cup fresh bread crumbs
  • ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 egg
  • ¼ cup fresh or canned chicken broth
  • teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 4 teaspoons chopped parsley
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 sweet or hot Italian sausages, 1 pound
  • 1 cup chopped onions
  • ¼ pound mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or Italian parsley

Preparation

1. Put the meat in a mixing bowl and add the bread crumbs, cheese, egg, broth, nutmeg, cumin, 1 teaspoon of the garlic, parsley, salt and pepper. Blend well and shape the mixture into 24 small meatballs.
  2. Heat the oil in a large nonstick or enamelware skillet and add the meatballs. Cook, turning often, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Remove the meatballs and set aside. Prick the sausages with a fork and add them to the pan. Cook, turning often, until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
  3. Scatter the onions, mushrooms, green pepper and remaining 1 tablespoon garlic around the sausages, and sauté, about 5 minutes. Add the meatballs and the accumulated juices back to the pan (the pan will be crowded).
  4. Add the tomatoes, rosemary, wine and bay leaf and stir to dissolve any browned particles on the bottom of the skillet. Cover closely and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and sprinkle with basil when served.

'threw' not 'through'?cheese

Liked how drummerboy's scallop/corn recipe sounded.  For one of the best, easiest, fastest (10 mins.) scallop dishes in the universe (brandy, cream, lemon) : 

COQUILLES ST. JACQUES WITH MUSHROOMS, Pierre Franey, NYT

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
  • ¼ pound fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 pound scallops
  • Salt to taste, if desired
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons Cognac
  • 1 cup heavy cream

Preparation

1. Heat two tablespoons of the butter in a skillet and add the shallots. Cook about 30 seconds, stirring. Add the mushrooms and half of the lemon juice. Cook, stirring, about one minute.
  2. Add the scallops and salt and pepper and cook, stirring, about one and a half minutes. Sprinkle with Cognac and ignite if desired. Cook briefly. Transfer the scallops and mushrooms to a sieve placed in a bowl to collect the juices that will accumulate as you finish the sauce.
  3. Put the cream and any liquid that has accumulated from the scallops in the skillet. Cook down over high heat, stirring, about two minutes. The sauce should be reduced to about one cup. Add the remaining lemon juice and swirl in the remaining tablespoon of butter. Add the scallops and mushrooms to the sauce and heat briefly. Serve.

Does anyone have one of those Instant Pot things?

I just bought one - gonna try my hand at a brisket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

brisket status report - I ruined a 30 dollar piece o' meat. bleh

p.s. Hey Shoprite - there was a pound of fat in that brisket, hidden in the middle. Thanks.

drummerboy said:

Does anyone have one of those Instant Pot things?

I just bought one - gonna try my hand at a brisket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLYWNYQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had terrible luck with brisket no matter how I cook it. But don't give up on the Instant Pot. Last week's Food section in The Times had an interactive how-to guide with great recipes, and Melissa Clark's cookbook comes out this month.

Do you enjoy pork? Her Korean barbecue pork is a project but it's well worth the effort.

Here is a list of 21 straightforward dishes, including the first few recipes I tried. The chicken tortilla soup is tasty.

yes, I saw the Times piece - that's what inspired me to get the pot. I had never even heard of this contraption before. I knew about electric pressure cookers, but didn't know about the mult-functionality now available.

I have to give the pot some credit - while it was burning my brisket, the display read "BURN". Why it doesn't have a smidge more intelligence so that it turns itself off at that point, I dunno.

But I was able to salvage most of the brisket. It was very dry, so I cut it into cubes, and just made a stew instead, which my son is gobbling up, so it can't be so bad. Gonna have some for dinner myself.

Anyway, no , I won't give up. Maybe I'll try the yogurt maker next or just make some rice - start simple.

j_r said:

I've had terrible luck with brisket no matter how I cook it. But don't give up on the Instant Pot. Last week's Food section in The Times had an interactive how-to guide with great recipes, and Melissa Clark's cookbook comes out this month.

Do you enjoy pork? Her Korean barbecue pork is a project but it's well worth the effort.

Here is a list of 21 straightforward dishes, including the first few recipes I tried. The chicken tortilla soup is tasty.

"while it was burning my brisket, the display read "BURN" "

oh oh oh ohoh ohoh ohoh ohoh oh

I'm not sure this would survive in my kitchen!

eta:  I mean the oh oh in the most sympathetic way

I compromised - I'm making the rice pudding recipe as we speak.

[big smile]

mjc said:

"while it was burning my brisket, the display read "BURN" "

oh oh oh ohoh ohoh ohoh ohoh oh

I'm not sure this would survive in my kitchen!

eta:  I mean the oh oh in the most sympathetic way

rice pudding is done. success! pretty easy too.

drummerboy said:

I compromised - I'm making the rice pudding recipe as we speak.

there’s a lot of scope for variety in rice puddings. The sweetness and crusty bottom combined with fruits in the Persian version; the smooth silky Greek version that can be flavoured with vanilla or orange-blossom, and a touch of cinnamon (drool!); the almost-custard like version from India, served in a glass... The ones you can eat warm, and ones eaten cold; the ones mixed with stewed fruit or with fresh fruit, or with sweet cream.... 

Ahhh, rice puddings.... cheese

I feel about rice pudding the way some people feel about mayo.  Blech.  I don't even like watching people eat that stuff.  I love mayo, though.

you're missing out! creamy, sweet vanilla goodness.

angelak said:

I feel about rice pudding the way some people feel about mayo.  Blech.  I don't even like watching people eat that stuff.  I love mayo, though.

Just thinking about it makes me gag.  Lol.

I mentioned earlier that my stove was quite under powered. Well, I got my landlord to give me a new one and it's great! Except I spent the first week burning most of my food, but I think I've got the hang of it now.

It's so satisfying to actually have a real high setting, even though I rarely use it now. My old stove was constantly on high - because it only just produced a medium level of heat.

What is the matter with Mary Jane?

She's crying with all of her might and main,

And it's lovely rice pudding for dinner again

What is  the matter with Mary Jane?

Image result for what is the matter with mary jane illustration

(no reflection on any poster, here.  I just love these illustrations.)

was rice pudding a dinner meal at some time?

It was a "nursery meal" for children.  

Also viewed as a wonderful invalid or restorative meal back in the days when whole milk represented the height of good nutrition. 

There are differences to the pudding based on whether you’re making it with whole rice or with rice flour; whether you’re adding semolina or almond flour, or just letting the rice cook down, or you’ve pre-cooked the rice; whether you’re flavouring with an essence, a flavoured water or juice or adding fruit/cocoa/brandy/nuts etc. It’s more than sweet milky risotto, though some cooks don’t realise that! cheese

So, not rice pudding (which I am in complete accord with angelak on) but made these Turkey Mushroom burgers tonight and they were great! https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014596-mushroom-and-turkey-burgers

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.