Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

mtierney said:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/06/the-fall-of-the-wall-around-religious-education/

and editorial…

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022/06/the-fall-of-the-wall-around-religious-education/

Everyone pays taxes to support public schools, whether parents of school age children or not. Seems like a justified ruling to me and long overdue!

Of course you do. Can't wait for the first Church of Satan school to open up.

Anyway, when towns start raising taxes to cover the cost of religious schools, we'll see how popular this really is.

We're going down the damn toilet.

drummerboy said:

Of course you do. Can't wait for the first Church of Satan school to open up.

I doubt that the Church of Satan Academies will be much of an issue one way or another but the Madrasas are going to be rolling in government money. 

nohero said:

Wrong thread.

Since the Pope Francis thread was moved over to the Politics forum by TPTB, and since religion plays a huge role in the abortion question, why the  comment?

SCOTUS ruled that the Constitution did not guarantee abortion rights. The advent of the abortion pill by mail (no need for clinics) and other measures to prevent unwanted pregnancies should reduce demand. The advancements in learning more about fetus development adds so much more public awareness of when life begins than was known 50 years ago.

Maxine Waters today was inciting violence with her “to hell with the Supreme Court” words vowing to defy the decision, saying You ain’t seen nothing yet!” according to the AP. Newsweek quotes AOC as calling for protests and encouraging opponents to march into the streets to show disapproval. 

mtierney said:

Since the Pope Francis thread was moved over to the Politics forum by TPTB, and since religion plays a huge role in the abortion question, why the  comment?

SCOTUS ruled that the Constitution did not guarantee abortion rights. The advent of the abortion pill by mail (no need for clinics) and other measures to prevent unwanted pregnancies should reduce demand. The advancements in learning more about fetus development adds so much more public awareness of when life begins than was known 50 years ago.

Maxine Waters today was inciting violence with her “to hell with the Supreme Court” words vowing to defy the decision, saying You ain’t seen nothing yet!” according to the AP. Newsweek quotes AOC as calling for protests and encouraging opponents to march into the streets to show disapproval. 

Come on, mtierney. We all know you don't actually believe that Rep. Waters was inciting violence, and that in any case you are perfectly happy to at least tolerate, if not outright support, political violence yourself. If the court had ruled the opposite way, you'd accord it as much respect as you do an election that didn't go the way you prefer.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Wrong thread.

Religious belief is a factor in why people take the positions they do, with respect to abortion.

Religion should not be the basis for any legal decision, about constitutionality of laws banning it.

mtierney said:

You're misinformed.  States banning abortion don't make an exception for medication abortion. A Federal government could in theory reverse the current policy (under the new Supreme Court decision) and decide to ban medication for that purpose.

My guess is that a lot of people are that misinformed, which is a problem when a serious issue like this is in contention.

mtierney said:

The advancements in learning more about fetus development adds so much more public awareness of when life begins than was known 50 years ago.
I'm curious about this statement. "When life begins" is not a scientific question, but maybe you can enlighten us about these advancements.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

The advancements in learning more about fetus development adds so much more public awareness of when life begins than was known 50 years ago.
I'm curious about this statement. "When life begins" is not a scientific question, but maybe you can enlighten us about these advancements.

Knowledge about fetal development was a basis of the original decision in Roe. So Ms. Mtierney has it wrong, again.

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

Knowledge about fetal development was a basis of the original decision in Roe. So Ms. Mtierney has it wrong, again.

My guess is she's thinking about various anti-abortion propaganda like fetal heartbeats; when a fetus feels pain; etc.

Religion has killed more people than it has saved…

“No”  to all the analysis by MOL  pundits re  my motives, my reasoning, my beliefs. I am pro-life, against the death penalty, and the grateful and loving mother of three adopted children, beginning 60 years ago.

Today’s guest essay on the “mistake” made by SCOTUS yesterday is worth reading in its entirety, but one paragraph stands out missing the point of what happened in Washington yesterday.

https://www.nytimes.com/section/todayspaper#national

“Americans will disagree about whether to mourn or celebrate the destruction of this constitutional right, but there should be no illusion about its price. The abortion rate may not decrease dramatically, especially if states offer little support for people who want to parent, and many desperate Americans will find a way to get an abortion no matter what. But those who are forced to continue pregnancies against their wishes will have to give birth and parent with little expectation that our society will treat them fairly, much less the children they raise. Some women will die.”

I have another question: Why is this solely a woman’s problem? When will men recognize their role and responsibility in reproduction? 

Did anyone note the “mistake” in the quote above?

mtierney said:

I have another question: Why is this solely a woman’s problem? When will men recognize their role and responsibility in reproduction? 

Are you kidding?

Maybe it's because most anti-abortion people think like this moron, who blames women for a man's ejaculation.

Please watch the short video to see how horrible they are.

mtierney said:

You tell us -- you're the one who votes for and defends politicians who insist on placing all the burden on women.

No answers to the question in my last post? 

Why am I not surprised?

I always have to read the stuff I plan to comment on.

I shall be on my patio, admiring my flower garden,  for a tad longer……beautiful day here down the shore!

mtierney said:

I am....against the death penalty

And yet you consistently support proponents of the death penalty. When a person's actions are at odds with their words, I tend to pay more attention to their actions.

mtierney said:

No answers to the question on in my last post? 

Why am I not surprised?

In answer to your question, I doubt I see the same mistake you do. Please enlighten us.

Also, they say people look like their pets but, in your case, I hope that is not true because that is a very ugly cat.  I suspect you have not been treating it well.

GoSlugs said:

And yet you consistently support proponents of the death penalty. When a person's actions are at odds with their words, I tend to pay more attention to their actions.

conservatives have demonstrated time and time again how hypocrisy is indeed an art form.

mtierney said:

No answers to the question in my last post? 

Why am I not surprised?

I shall be on my patio, admiring my flower garden,  for a tad longer……beautiful day here down the shore!

Beautiful day up here in the north jersey hills as well.

I suspect what you are trying to say (though, true to form, you won't say what you believe outright -- you seem to have an allergic reaction to stating your views plainly and so accepting any responsibility) is that  you believe abortion ends a human life, and so the mistake in the paragraph is not acknowledging that.

You are aware, of course, that many people don't hold that belief, and that even among those who do, many see abortion as a complex subject where multiple people's lives are at stake and absolute answers hazardous to insist upon.

Living in a democratic society means finding a way to allow such divergent, even strongly opposed, viewpoints to coexist as we struggle as nation to always move forward into "a more perfect union." This is, of course, where I again point out you your own rejection of the entire premise of democratic society, with your embrace of a violent, authoritarian movement. This time I'll just make that an aside, and pick a different main point and say that I think the mistake here is that so many people are in these difficult situations in the first place. A just, generous society would be one where women had control of their bodily autonomy, and where unexpected pregnancies were both rare and rarely posed  life and death stakes. Quite apart from the violent authoritarianism of the Republican party, it is this rejection of an inclusive, generous America that motivates me to vote for Democrats rather than Republicans.

Mtieney asked me on another thread to explain why I am here. 

A good chunk of it is to read posts like PVW's (above).  What a fracking gem! 

Thank you PVW.

ETA:  I also really enjoy seeing Joanne's posts from outside the North American bubble we all share. Good stuff!

GoSlugs said:

Mtieney asked me on another thread to explain why I am here. 

A good chunk of it is to read posts like PVW's (above).  What a fracking gem! 

Thank you PVW.

ETA:  I also really enjoy seeing Joanne's posts from outside the North American bubble we all share. Good stuff!

MT has an aversion to slugs…

Just going off topic for a bit… I had a friend who lived on Essex rd who had a large rock like that, it had the word BELIEVE etched in it. She came home one day and discovered someone had smashed her back window with said rock and burglarized her home. It’s funny but when she related the event to me she said..”the burglar saw the rock and said to himself…I believe I can get in this house with this rock “   smile

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

No answers to the question on in my last post? 

Why am I not surprised?

In answer to your question, I doubt I see the same mistake you do. Please enlighten us.

Also, they say people look like their pets but, in your case, I hope that is not true because that is a very ugly cat.  I suspect you have not been treating it well.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is my belief. How is Mrs K doing?

Let me tell you the key word in this guest editorial is in this quote:

Americans will disagree about whether to mourn or celebrate the destruction of this constitutional right, but there should be no illusion about its price.”

mtierney said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder is my belief. How is Mrs K doing?

Who? I don't have a cat but my dog is Ms O.

mtierney said:

Let me tell you the key word in this guest editorial is in this quote:

Americans will disagree about whether to mourn or celebrate the destruction of this constitutional right, but there should be no illusion about its price.”

More mystery from our nebulous cypher.

GoSlugs said:

+1

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.