Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

I think it is clear that Nazism is a living movement.  The through line from 1930s Germany to Red State America is uninterrupted.

My mother took her lived Holocaust experience and asked the school tour groups to think about comparable world events (Ethiopia, Rwanda, Palestine etc) in similar terms. Then she’d ask them to reflect on other places/situations and see if there were ‘signposts’ and what these groups might suggest (indigenous relations here, for instance). 
Most of the Guides (all Survivors, now mostly 2nd Generation) at the Elsternwick Museum did the same thing, so that the Shoah remained relevant. 

Can’t believe Mum’s been gone almost 30years.   But the point is, there are ways to handle geopolitics even when extreme climate change is ruining many smaller economies. Which is part of the historic point too (without the environmental bit but with industrial change).

Catholic statistics world-wide…

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/250362/number-of-catholics-in-asia-and-africa-continues-to-rise

There is an excellent Sunday Mass on Youtube from Singapore which I have watched during the pandemic. Very professional technical presentation. St. Mary’s of the Angels, wonderful chorus presented as a zoom experience.

GoSlugs said:

I think it is clear that Nazism is a living movement.  The through line from 1930s Germany to Red State America is uninterrupted.

When confronted the leadership of the deplorables often decries their Nazis followers. Its the usual of this it not who we are.

But, what is revealing is that Nazis openly showing their Nazism are accepted in their demonstrations. You never see anyone telling them "get lost, creeps." Never.

While not overtly, they are accepted and often welcomed.

on Shove Tuesday…

From The Tablet…..

“Leaders of Ukraine’s churches vowed this week to continue standing with their country against Russian invaders, as the Vatican offered mediation and exploratory peace talks took place, despite fierce fighting, between Ukrainian and Russian delegations. By Jonathan Luxmoore. A Ukrainian Catholic priest, Fr Tykhon Kulbaka, has begun a daily exorcism ritual aimed at Russian President Vladimir Putin. “I believe an evil spirit may inspire the actions of this man” he wrote on Facebook. He also asked for fellow priests to join him, and for the laity to support the priests with specific prayers for deliverance from the evil spirit. Fr Kulbaka spent 12 days in captivity in 2014 after he was captured by separatists during the occupation of Donetsk and Luhansk. A diabetic, he was denied his medication and had to drink water from a toilet. He refused to renounce the Ukrainian Catholic Church for the Russian Orthodox Church. Mufti Said Izmagilov played a role in his release, after 12 days he was taken to a field and left in his car. 

“Report by CNS. “We stand with you, shoulder to shoulder, heart to heart, soul to soul” the congregation at the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Family in London was told on Sunday by Archbishop John Wilson. The Ukrainian community was joined by religious, political and diplomatic leaders at morning liturgy on the first Sunday since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. The service was conducted by Bishop Kenneth Nowakowski, eparch of the diocese. Archbishop Wilson, who delivered the homily, also prayed for Russian citizens protesting against the war. Speaking to The Tablet, Bishop Kenneth said that Vladimir Putin was never interested in peaceful relations with Ukraine, and that Russia needed saving from itself. In a show of unity, the Head of the Orthodox Church in Ukraine, loyal to the Moscow Patriarchate, condemned the attack as “a disaster”. The Ukrainian and Russian Orthodox Churches separated in 2018 after 300 years, in response to perceived subservience to Kremlin. By Patrick Hudson, who also reports that the eparch of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in England has given his blessing to Ukrainians returning to their country to fight.”

“In a highly-unusual move, Pope Francis personally visited the Russian Embassy to the Holy See. Catholic charities Depaul International, Sciaf and Aid to the Church in Need are among those helping those under siege in Ukraine. A Depaul-run homeless shelter in Kharkiv is still running, despite staff having to take shelter in metro stations underground. It provides a lifeline to homeless people in Kharkiv, where tanks are on the roads and there is regular shelling. ACN is sending emergency support. “We live now from hour to hour” said Bishop Pavlo Honcharuk of Kharkiv. Dr Taras Khomych from Lviv, a priest at Liverpool’s Ukrainian Catholic parish based at St Sebastian’s church, warned that Vladimir Putin will not stop even if he captures Ukraine. Dr Khomych lectures in theology at Liverpool Hope University. Rabbi Meir Stambler told The Jewish Chronicle that Jewish people will stand united with their fellow citizens.”

mtierney said:

Possibly overlooked in the news during the Ukraine invasion, this happened…

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/250534/catholic-senators-abortion-womens-health-protection-act

So, being pro-established-life and advocating for the availability of proper women's health is cause for condemnation. Got it. It's also a civil rights issue since poor and minority women feel the impact of that more than women who have the means to easily circumvent those barriers. Privileged men also have a license to get it done for the women who carry their indiscretions. James Madison is still trying to remind us from his grave about that whole separation of church and state thing that our founding fathers agreed to.

Cardinal Benardin had credibility on this. Trumpists, not so much.

It’s not overlooked and has made international headlines, in a not-good-look way. Everyone is comparing the economic costs to women and their communities over the past 6 months to pre-Roe v Wade, and extrapolating over the next decade. (BBC, Australian media, NZ media and more) Further, the internal State borders stress for smaller communities has been highlighted - it’s not an economic boom for them, rather inter-State relations have become difficult. 
H’m. Great progress in women’s health indeed.

This article provides a sharp contrast to those articles analysing the recent Texan experience: terminations we’re decriminalised in South Australia over 12 months ago however there have been challenges enacting the new law. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-04/sa-abortion-access-delays-year-after-reforms-pass/100883906

Is it elective surgery? Should it be delayed under pandemic rules? And what the sharing of patient health records?? (Most of our health records are centrally accessible, under strict guidelines) The ethics involve more than ‘simply’ determining when life begins, and who can end it.

MT… don’t you give up anything for lent? 

Global Catholic news…

Putin’s war has already brought about an extraordinary and historic change in the attitudes of governments across the world, supported by, and often even lagging behind, public opinion. His aggression is seen as an attack not just against innocent men, women and children in Ukraine, but against civilised values everywhere. The defence of people’s right to choose how they wish to be governed is the ultimate just cause. In our leader, we discuss just war theory and the terrifying possibility that Putin has no exit strategy.

How did we get here? Robert Brinkley, a former British ambassador to Kyiv, argues that the roots of the invasion lie in centuries of Russian disdain for Ukraine. “I do not know how this will end”, he writes, “but it is already clear that we are at a turning point in history.” Mary Dejevsky explores a mystery that is a key part of the background to the tragedy: while in the 30 years since its independence, Ukraine has forged a cohesive and distinct national identity, Russia has failed to establish any national idea, or even to reinvent an old one. Anatolii Babynskyi writes from Lviv, in western Ukraine, that while there are hopes that Ukrainian Orthodox Christians –those in communion with the Moscow Patriarch and those in communion with the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople – might be drawn together by a shared horror at the attacks on their cities, a gloomier scenario is that the divisions between them will deepen. Shelagh Fogarty writes with anguish about the work of Depaul International with homeless teenagers in Kharkiv, the city targeted with special ferocity by the Russian military: they had been living on the streets and sleeping down manholes to keep warm in temperatures as low as -20C. Yesterday, the Depaul-run homeless shelter in Kharkiv was still running, despite staff having to take shelter in metro stations underground.

In View from Rome, Christopher Lamb speculates that the restraint with which Pope Francis has spoken of the ruthless invasion suggests that Vatican diplomacy is trying to walk a delicate path of keeping channels of dialogue with Russia open while standing in solidarity with the suffering people of Ukraine. Jonathan Luxmoore tracks the latest statements of the leaders of Ukraine’s churches and of the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, as well as Jewish and Muslim leaders. Christa Pongratz-Lippitt writes that Cardinal Reinhard Marx of Munich has urged Patriarch Kirill to exercise influence on Vladimir Putin to stop the war in Ukraine. And Ruth Gledhill reports that Cafod is the latest Catholic charity to launch a humanitarian appeal; Depaul, Sciaf and ACN are already engaged in helping the many thousands of people suffering the consequences of the war.

Patrick Hudson writes that Kenneth Nowakowski, the eparch of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in England, rejected the suggestion that the Ukrainian government should stop fighting to avoid further casualties. As he explains in Word from the Cloisters, Patrick was talking to the eparch in his study after attending the liturgy at the Cathedral of the Holy Family in London’s Mayfair last Sunday: he remembered to cross himself from right to left, as is the Greek Catholic way. Christopher Howse had been at Mass at the same Cathedral just before the missiles began to fall, and was also adapting to local customs: “I was unaware that a piece of etiquette is to let the priest know your name before receiving Communion, since he names you, I think, in the prayer as he spoons out the sacrament.”

mtierney said:

At last...an accurate post with no trollish behavior !

St. Michael the Archangel is the protector of the capital of Ukraine. Here’s why

The story behind the statue….

St. Michael the Archangel

Raphael, “St. Michael Vanquishing Satan,” 1518 | Public Domain

Francesca Pollio Fenton

By Francesca Pollio Fenton

Kyiv, Ukraine, Mar 4, 2022 / 10:10 am

A statue of Saint Michael the Archangel stands in the center of Kyiv with a shield and a sword and as the protector of the capital of Ukraine and the entire country, now threatened by the invasion of Russia.

Placed in 2002, the statue, constructed of bronze and gold, stands above the Liadsky Gate in Independence Square in Kyiv. St. Michael the Archangel is the patron saint of Kyiv and is also at the center of the coat of arms of the Ukrainian capital.

The history of this devotion is reported by our sister agency, ACI Prensa.

In the 16th century, St. Michael the Archangel appeared on the coat of arms of Kyiv. But in 1969, during the regime of the Soviet Union, the authorities replaced his figure with chestnut leaves. This remained the case until after the fall of the USSR, when the archangel was returned to the coat of arms, in 1995.

You know, the Russian Church says God is on their side.

To borrow from the Book of Luke, you can sense the conflict within him (God).

I’m going with Saint Javelin…

Christ had a lot to say on the subject of violence.  Short story, he was against it.  If he were here today, he would most likely be telling the Ukrainians to turn the other cheek. 

Wonderful time to read, or reread this life-changing biography…

https://www.thetablet.co.uk/features/2/21607/books-for-lent-finding-the-walls-of-a-new-freedom

Excerpt..

“I was not sure where I was going, and I could not see what I would do when I got [there]. But you saw further and clearer than I, and you opened the seas before my ship, whose track led me across the waters to a place I had never dreamed of, and which you were even then preparing to be my rescue and my shelter and my home.”
Thomas Merton, The Seven Storey Mountain

mtierney said:

Covid delayed the process, but canonizations begin again, albeit slowly.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/250566/wwii-martyr-titus-brandsma-to-be-canonized-with-charles-de-foucauld-in-may

One notable name missing there.  

Hope you had a good birthday. So far your posting habits seem a lot healthier, so I hope this reflects a generally better/healthier space for you off MOL as well.

PVW said:

Hope you had a good birthday. So far your posting habits seem a lot healthier, so I hope this reflects a generally better/healthier space for you off MOL as well.

Party is still a few days ahead, however!

Maybe, it’s the company I’ve been keeping which has helped put me in a happy place? This is Harry the Alpaca, a resident at a nearby alpaca farm.

mtierney said:

Mass graves for civilians in 2022!

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/250630/ukrainian-catholic-leader-mariupol-the-city-of-mary-has-been-turned-into-a-cemetery

Masha Gessen was talking about mass graves the other day on Fresh Air.  Apparently, in February, the Russian parliament passed a new law legalizing mass graves for military casualties.  Gessen suggested that, insofar as this applies to Russian military dead, it is a way of hiding the scope of the military conflict from the Russian people until the worst of the fighting is over.

LOL

Sister Deidre spoke at the 2020 GOP Convention.

I don't know which religion she is citing, for her claim of a "religious exemption" to the Covid-19 vaccine. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.