Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

Klinker said:

With a lot of conservative "Christians", it's not so much a matter of being pro-Jewish as much as being anti-Muslim.

there's also that whole thing about Israel and the end times.

ml1 said:

Klinker said:

With a lot of conservative "Christians", it's not so much a matter of being pro-Jewish as much as being anti-Muslim.

there's also that whole thing about Israel and the end times.

Yes, they love Israel, but are less thrilled with the Jews.

And then there's always the Jews for Jesus, an organization who's name has a lie in every word.

nohero said:

Yes, they love Israel, but are less thrilled with the Jews.

I've heard that they vote at the same rate as Americans.

This week the great BBC gardening series features how to get slugs out from under your garden beds. 

mtierney said:

This week the great BBC gardening series features how to get slugs out from under your garden beds. 

what is the Pope's position on slugs?  I'm guessing he's against squishing them.

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

what is the Pope's position on slugs?  I'm guessing he's against squishing them.

He had the Vatican Gardens go organic. The Vatican Gardens are going “green” (ampproject.org)

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

I don't really understand her comment as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with Pope Francis, Catholics or Christians.  This must be an example of the terrible, off topic personal attacks that we are always hearing about on mtierney's threads. I feel victimized.  Indeed, with the talk of squishing, I think this could be interpreted as a threat of physical violence.  I am now very worried.  Should I report it?  question

I think I might be the real victim.

my cat avatar protects me from personal attacks.

mtierney said:

The answer is ducks. Ducks love slugs. https://www.slughelp.com/runner-ducks-the-slug-hunters-think-twice/

ridski said:

mtierney said:

The answer is ducks. Ducks love slugs. https://www.slughelp.com/runner-ducks-the-slug-hunters-think-twice/

I thought the answer was to get the slugs drunk.

mtierney said:

so a slug got under your garden bed?

Under her skin anyway.

Odd, but I  had slugs in my hostia in Maplewood; nary a one in Ocean County!

soil composition is very different in Ocean County and Maplewood.

ml1 said:

soil composition is very different in Ocean County and Maplewood.

yeah I was gonna say she probably got crabs in the garden bed 

this discussion got WAY more interesting after it moved to Politics

Jaytee said:

yeah I was gonna say she probably got crabs in the garden bed 

A cup of decaf English Breakfast out both nostrils.  Thank you very much you so and so.

question

ml1 said:

this discussion got WAY more interesting after it moved to Politics

Descendit ad inferos.

The timing is exquisite: I’ve seen an Indian Hills sign reading Decaf is so depresso cheese

I’m noting in passing that today ((26th) is Australia Day, also known as Invasion Day, yet our avowed Christian PM, who is a devotee of Hillsong, is a blatant liar, rorter, elitist, misogynist and fails to support the vulnerable in our community instead accusing them of being ‘learners’ and bludgers (cheats/slackers). He also does not welcome strangers especially those in need of help. From my 13 years at a Methodist Ladies College, I think that flies in the face of every parable and Beatitude… yet this seems to be something in common with Conservatives worldwide. 
Why are they so convinced they ‘own’ the Bible and its interpretation and practical implementation?

jeebus.  In the span of two comments I had to google both "Descendit ad inferos" and "rorter"

Sorry  question

It’s unAustralian to do anything approaching ‘work’ today.

Joanne, thanks for the reminder re The Beatitudes. We visited the Church of the Beatitudes in Israel with a group of mostly Jewish tourists. At the outset of our hotel sponsored guided bus tour, my husband and I, and one other Catholic couple, were assured there would be no skipping over Christian sites! After our visit, everyone was handed a copy of these ideals. Back on the bus, muttering could be heard that they were the same as they had been taught!

During the rest of the tour of holy sites, there was much bonhomie aboard!

Kurt Vonnegut, in his memoir A Man Without A Country -

How about Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes?

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the Earth.

Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God.

And so on.

Not exactly planks in a Republican platform. Not exactly George W Bush, Dick Cheney, or Donald Rumsfeld stuff.

For some reason, the most vocal Christians among us never mention the Beatitudes. But, often with tears in their eyes, they demand that the Ten Commandments be posted in public buildings. And of course that's Moses, not Jesus. I haven't heard one of them demand that the Sermon on the Mount, the Beatitudes, be posted anywhere.

mtierney said:

Joanne, thanks for the reminder re The Beatitudes. We visited the Church of the Beatitudes in Israel with a group of mostly Jewish tourists. At the outset of our hotel sponsored guided bus tour, my husband and I, and one other Catholic couple, were assured there would be no skipping over Christian sites! After our visit, everyone was handed a copy of these ideals. Back on the bus, muttering could be heard that they were the same as they had been taught!

During the rest of the tour of holy sites, there was much bonhomie aboard!

how do you reconcile this with your support of Donald Trump and the current Republican Party?

Speaking of the ten commandments, and noting my earlier observation that Trump seems an uncharitable caricature come to life, wasn't the gold Trump statue at CPAC a bit too on the nose? You couldn't really get away with that in a cartoon -- unsubtle as those tend to be, surely a literal golden statue would strike readers as too cartoonish for the medium.

PVW said:

Speaking of the ten commandments, and noting my earlier observation that Trump seems an uncharitable caricature come to life, wasn't the gold Trump statue at CPAC a bit too on the nose? You couldn't really get away with that in a cartoon -- unsubtle as those tend to be, surely a literal golden statue would strike readers as too cartoonish for the medium.

Actually, we were discussing The Beatitudes, but I see that TDS is still infecting MOLers! No vaccine available, but time heals old wounds, IMHE.

mtierney said:

Actually, we were discussing The Beatitudes, but I see that TDS is still infecting MOLers! No vaccine available, but time heals old wounds, IMHE.

On the contrary, there's a very simple treatment available, which I've shared with you on a number of occasions. For instance, on your other religion thread:

There's a very simple vaccine available, mtierney. If you state that you will not vote for Trump in 2024, I promise to leave the entire topic out of this thread.

Of course, if you can't do that, then that shows that Trump remains a future threat, not just something from the past I'm unreasonably fixed on

Don't try to blame me for your anti-vax stance. TDS is completely preventable, but you have to want to cure yourself -- I can't make you do it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!