Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

From The Atlantic magazine this month...maybe there is pro-life progress..

"But there is a substantive generational argument to be made here. Although public opinion on abortion has stayed relatively steady for four decades, support for legalizing the procedure under any circumstance spiked in the early 1990s, when today’s fortysomethings were coming of age. Their younger peers haven’t had a similar shift in attitudes, though. Even though Millennials feel more open to things like pre-marital sex and same-sex marriage than their older siblings and parents and grandparents, they still feel conflicted about abortion. According to a 2015 report by the Public Religion Research Institute, 55 percent of people born between 1980 and 2000 believe abortion should be legal in most or all cases, while 42 percent believe it should be illegal in most or all cases—roughly the same proportion as the rest of the country. Although today’s twenty- and thirty-somethings grew up in a time when abortion was more common than ever before, they’re not choosing to have abortions themselves.
"And as with the rest of America, Millennials’ beliefs are strongly shaped by religious faith. Eighty percent of young, white evangelical Protestants and half of young Catholics said abortion should be mostly or completely illegal, while nearly 80 percent of religiously unaffiliated Millennials said the opposite. In many ways, this statistic is the most important for understanding attitudes toward abortion in the United States. Many people see it as a moral issue, because it necessarily involves defining what “life” means; on this kind of topic, a lot of people look to their faith.

I'd like to see the findings of that report in The Atlantic (reference, please? issue date, article name?) side-by-side with findings for the same period of teenage or 20-something unwed mothers.

It has seemed to me for many years now that the number of very young women having babies out of wedlock and then requiring financial and other forms of support from family members has skyrocketed. So, while feelings about abortion might have a lot to do with faith, I would also argue that it is now more acceptable than ever for young women to have babies out of wedlock than it has ever been before. That could make a huge difference in their decision-making process. Removing that stigma makes it much, much easier for those youngsters to consider keeping the baby as a real option.

PeggyC said:

It has seemed to me for many years now that the number of very young women having babies out of wedlock and then requiring financial and other forms of support from family members has skyrocketed.

The rate of teenage pregnancy has been falling for years in the US.

Most recent statistics: In 2010, the U.S. teenage pregnancy rate reached its lowest point in more than 30 years (57.4), down 51% from its peak in 1990 (116.9). Between 2008 and 2010 alone, the rate dropped 15%, from 67.8

http://www.guttmacher.org/sections/adolescents.php

I saw that in the article, too. So, I guess the young women who are having children out of wedlock are all either family and friends or on television. I don't have an explanation for it. I admit, I'm mystified.

Parsing the Pope...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/13/world/americas/parsing-pope-francis-words-and-silences-to-hear-his-messages-in-south-america.html?ref=americas

You keep quoting stories about the Pope supporting liberal agendas and then go back to your other thread and post right wing claptrap about the horror of the same agendas.

Well done on managing the whole cognitive dissonance thing.

Religion and politics....good and evil....right and wrong...human nature...nobody says life is easy -- being all about "cognitive dissonance " as it is,

You must have faith IMHO to open a newspaper or switch on the TV in 2015

Reading comprehension is easy.

mtierney said:

As opposed to that halcyon time when we had less to worry about.

When was that again?

nohero said:

mtierney said:
As opposed to that halcyon time when we had less to worry about.

When was that again?

You are correct in that we are now exposed to worldwide conflict and tragedies on 24/7 schedule home and away, thanks to devices in our purses and pockets.

I remember people coming down to their candy stores at 11 pm to await the newspaper trucks with late editions. Back in the WW2 era, newspapers all had two or three editions daily. Although just a kid, I remember watching the newsreel coverage of the war in our weekly trips to see double features, news, cartoons, and maybe bring home a piece of dish ware. The lights would come up between films so monetary collections for the war effort or war bond sales could be conducted.

News coverage of wars, assignations, riots, man's inhumanity to man, drugs and social and cultural collapse and slaughters occurring worldwide make pursuit of goodness very difficult.

If we stop trying to hope,evil wins.

I am looking forward to the Pope's visit to the U.S. The Pope speaks from his heart and soul to the faithful and to all others who might hear his words. People will cherry pick comments to suit their own agendas, others will offer criticism and hateful response. There should be no problem for conservative Catholics who understand the Pope will be offering his concerns, observations on human behavior, and hope for peace and respect among nations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/20/us/politics/for-gop-pope-franciss-visit-to-congress-comes-with-tensions.html?ref=todayspaper

I'm looking forward to the pope's visit too, but before you change the topic, maybe you could address people's responses to the PP video and abortion politics? You complained that people weren't commenting on this, and now that they have, it seems only fair for you to acknowledge this.

mtierney said:
I am looking forward to the Pope's visit to the U.S. The Pope speaks from his heart and soul to the faithful and to all others who might hear his words. People will cherry pick comments to suit their own agendas, others will offer criticism and hateful response. There should be no problem for conservative Catholics who understand the Pope will be offering his concerns, observations on human behavior, and hope for peace and respect among nations.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/20/us/politics/for-gop-pope-franciss-visit-to-congress-comes-with-tensions.html?ref=todayspaper

I believe you can find my comments back a page

https://thejesuitpost.org/2015/07/10-reasons-i-love-being-american-catholic/

#7 is what it is all abou

It is very noble indeed.

As an aside, my first girlfriend in college went to a Catholic school, though she wasn't a Catholic. Her best friend was Catholic but didn't go to Catholic school. Let's just say I chose the wrong one to ask out.

Abortion's reality...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/opinion/sunday/ross-douthat-looking-away-from-abortion.html?ref=todayspaper

Yes, it is abortion's reality - that aborted fetuses most be dealt with. Given that abortion is legal, what do you propose be done with them?

Have you watched any of the videos in question?

PM: I wouldn't, couldn't tag these remains as "medical waste" as is the procedure now. These lost persons might be given a respectful internment or cremation. Perhaps Planned Parenthood could provide the means to do so.

On a happier note...

http://www.cruxnow.com/church/2015/07/26/pope-signs-himself-up-for-world-youth-day-using-tablet/

mtierney said:
PM: I wouldn't, couldn't tag these remains as "medical waste" as is the procedure now. These lost persons might be given a respectful internment or cremation. Perhaps Planned Parenthood could provide the means to do so.

Since the organization does not consider fetuses to be "lost persons," I cannot imagine them treating them as a human being. Perhap an anti-abortion group could perform this service.

ParticleMan said:
Yes, it is abortion's reality - that aborted fetuses most be dealt with. Given that abortion is legal, what do you propose be done with them?

I did, and definitely have concerns about the ethics of what could become the "business" of procuring medical samples from aborted fetuses. This doctor acknowledged that she tailored procedures based on the organ needs of researchers, and admitted that she, depending on "interpretation" performed partial birth abortions (which are illegal) in order to provide good fetal skull samples.

Views on abortion aside, money has a way of corrupting everything.

This report from yesterday's NYT Magazine on the killing of Christians in the Middle East is shocking, but should surprise no one who has been paying attention

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/26/magazine/is-this-the-end-of-christianity-in-the-middle-east.html?ref=todayspaper

stucco said:

ParticleMan said:
I did, and definitely have concerns about the ethics of what could become the "business" of procuring medical samples from aborted fetuses. This doctor acknowledged that she tailored procedures based on the organ needs of researchers, and admitted that she, depending on "interpretation" performed partial birth abortions (which are illegal) in order to provide good fetal skull samples.
Views on abortion aside, money has a way of corrupting everything.

The money was basically reimbursement forcosts, not profit.

I don't see the problem witI tailoring procedures to save certain organs.

Late term partial birth abortions are illegal. I imagine if laws were broken, indictments will follow.

JULY 29, 2015
"The deeds you do may be the only sermon some people will hear today."
— St. Francis of Assisi

Worth reading...

http://wp.me/p28lhR-3LV

mtierney said:
Worth reading...
http://wp.me/p28lhR-3LV

Ain't touching that link until I know what's there.

dave said:
Probably Hitler.

Writing that one down on my Future Band Name list.

It is all about good and evil, Ridski, and of course, with any discussion of evil, you get Hitler

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.