Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

joanne said:
well, this is stating his views very clearly:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/02/gay-people-should-not-join-catholic-clergy-pope-francis-says 

If the clergy is to remain celibate, what difference could it possibly make?

GoSlugs said:

joanne said:
well, this is stating his views very clearly:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/02/gay-people-should-not-join-catholic-clergy-pope-francis-says 
 If the clergy is to remain celibate, what difference could it possibly make?

There's the belief that this 'lifestyle choice' predisposes one to preying on parishioners and schoolchildren, or in any case not setting a good moral example. 

It certainly isn't very accepting of diversity in divine creation.

This excerpt of the Pope’s comments on Nov. 30 explains:

“We have to urge homosexual priests, and men and women religious to  live celibacy with integrity, and above all, that they be impeccably  responsible, trying to never scandalize either their communities or the faithful holy people of God by living a double life. It's better for them to leave the ministry or the consecrated life rather than to live a double life.”

The pope was asked in the book if there are limits to what can be tolerated in formation.

“Of course. When there are candidates with neurosis, marked imbalances, difficult to channel not even with therapeutic help, they shouldn't be accepted to either the priesthood or the religious life, They should be helped to take another direction (but they should not be abandoned. They should be guided, but they should not be admitted. Let us always bear in mind that they are persons who are going to live in the service of the Church, of the Christian community, of the people of God. Let's not forget that perspective. We have to care for them so they are psychologically and affectively healthy,” the pope replied.

The book is the transcript of an interview conducted by Fr. Fernando Prado, director of the Claretian publishing house in Madrid.

This article was originally published by our sister agency, ACI Prensa. It has been translated and adapted by CNA.

So, you are saying that homosexuals are incapable of celibacy? Not being a homosexual or celibate, I can't say for sure but that seems unlikely.

Whether heterosexual or homosexual, if that individual takes the oath of celibacy when joining the religious life, he or she must adhere to the oath taken. If that proves impossible, leaving is the right choice.

mtierney said:
Whether heterosexual or homosexual, if that individual takes the oath of celibacy when joining the religious life, he or she must adhere to the oath taken.

Well, that first part is certainly debatable but, accepting your assertion for the sake of argument, why is the Pope then trying to exclude celibate homosexuals?

One wonders whether that Pope hasn't been weakened by the attacks made on him over the last year by the supporters of the failed Pope Ratzinger.  

Is this uncharacteristic display of homophobia a forced error made as a concession to the conservative champions of bigotry?

mtierney said:
This excerpt of the Pope’s comments on Nov. 30 explains:

“We have to urge homosexual priests, and men and women religious to  live celibacy with integrity, and above all, that they be impeccably  responsible, trying to never scandalize either their communities or the faithful holy people of God by living a double life. It's better for them to leave the ministry or the consecrated life rather than to live a double life.”
The pope was asked in the book if there are limits to what can be tolerated in formation.
“Of course. When there are candidates with neurosis, marked imbalances, difficult to channel not even with therapeutic help, they shouldn't be accepted to either the priesthood or the religious life, They should be helped to take another direction (but they should not be abandoned. They should be guided, but they should not be admitted. Let us always bear in mind that they are persons who are going to live in the service of the Church, of the Christian community, of the people of God. Let's not forget that perspective. We have to care for them so they are psychologically and affectively healthy,” the pope replied.
The book is the transcript of an interview conducted by Fr. Fernando Prado, director of the Claretian publishing house in Madrid.
This article was originally published by our sister agency, ACI Prensa. It has been translated and adapted by CNA.

What a disgrace.

mtierney said:
?

Back at you.  What, specifically, is puzzling you?

As time goes on I find myself with increasing frequency hoping that Pope Francis' words are losing a nuance (and sounding more obnoxious) due to something being lost in translation.

However, as noted above, I fear he is pandering to the old conservative hierarchy or just turning into a cranky old bigot.

Klinker said:

mtierney said:
?
 Back at you.  What, specifically, is puzzling you?

Not you.

I forgot!

With friends such as Andy Warhol, Pope Benedict, and Steve Bannon, this link gives a peek at a world of real fantasy—hope there is an autobiography in the works.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/world/europe/princess-gloria-von-thurn-und-taxis-francis.html

mtierney said:
I forgot!

With friends such as Andy Warhol, Pope Benedict, and Steve Bannon, this link gives a peek at a world of real fantasy—hope there is an autobiography in the works.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/07/world/europe/princess-gloria-von-thurn-und-taxis-francis.html

Bannon is a real sleaze, isn't he?  I'm sure Ross Douthat was ecstatic reading that article that feeds his fantasies about someone who can bankroll the sedevacantist faction.

had to look that word up, Nohero surprised 

mtierney said:

I'm gobsmacked about that.

mtierney said:

While you have your dictionary out, thumb over to the 'C' pages and look up Christian. 

mtierney said:
With friends such as Andy Warhol, Pope Benedict, and Steve Bannon, this link gives a peek at a world of real fantasy

A dystopian one, perhaps. 

Thomas Merton died on this date 50 years ago.  As a writer, memoirist and poet he touched on the themes of personal spirituality, peace in the face of war, racial equality, and interfaith understanding.  As much as his work provides inspiration today, in many ways it is tragic that it remains all too relevant as a source for solutions that are still desperately needed.

Pope Francis, when he addressed a Joint Session of Congress in 2015, included Merton among the Americans he recalled for addressing the themes of his speech:

A century ago, at the beginning of the Great War, which Pope Benedict XV termed a “pointless slaughter”, another notable American was born: the Cistercian monk Thomas Merton. He remains a source of spiritual inspiration and a guide for many people. In his autobiography he wrote: “I came into the world. Free by nature, in the image of God, I was nevertheless the prisoner of my own violence and my own selfishness, in the image of the world into which I was born. That world was the picture of Hell, full of men like myself, loving God, and yet hating him; born to love him, living instead in fear of hopeless self-contradictory hungers”. Merton was above all a man of prayer, a thinker who challenged the certitudes of his time and opened new horizons for souls and for the Church. He was also a man of dialogue, a promoter of peace between peoples and religions.

From this perspective of dialogue, I would like to recognize the efforts made in recent months to help overcome historic differences linked to painful episodes of the past. It is my duty to build bridges and to help all men and women, in any way possible, to do the same. When countries which have been at odds resume the path of dialogue – a dialogue which may have been interrupted for the most legitimate of reasons – new opportunities open up for all. This has required, and requires, courage and daring, which is not the same as irresponsibility. A good political leader is one who, with the interests of all in mind, seizes the moment in a spirit of openness and pragmatism. A good political leader always opts to initiate processes rather than possessing spaces (cf. Evangelii Gaudium, 222-223).

Being at the service of dialogue and peace also means being truly determined to minimize and, in the long term, to end the many armed conflicts throughout our world. Here we have to ask ourselves: Why are deadly weapons being sold to those who plan to inflict untold suffering on individuals and society? Sadly, the answer, as we all know, is simply for money: money that is drenched in blood, often innocent blood. In the face of this shameful and culpable silence, it is our duty to confront the problem and to stop the arms trade.

Three sons and a daughter of this land, four individuals and four dreams: Lincoln, liberty; Martin Luther King, liberty in plurality and non-exclusion; Dorothy Day, social justice and the rights of persons; and Thomas Merton, the capacity for dialogue and openness to God.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/speeches/2015/september/documents/papa-francesco_20150924_usa-us-congress.html

Merton’s Seven Storied Mountain is his autobiography and a book well worth reading.

Well, this is interesting news. It’s also interesting that reports are slowly starting to emerge that Pell, while still officially being responsible for Finance, is no longer welcome in the Pope’s private circle.

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/reports-of-pell-guilty-verdict-emerge-despite-gag-order-32220 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/12/pope-removes-two-cardinals-linked-sex-abuse-allegations-inner/

It’s especially interesting news because last month Archbishop Wilson wasn’t found ‘responsible’ for covering up historical sex abuse, since no such charge existed at the time. 

mtierney said:
China contuines, blatantly, attacking Christians...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/13/world/asia/china-religion-crackdown.html

The Chinese government is not anti-Christian or anti-Muslim so much as they trying to prevent non-governmental groups from having any political power.  

tjohn said:

mtierney said:

The Chinese government is not anti-Christian or anti-Muslim so much as they trying to prevent non-governmental groups from having any political power.  

So, destroying churches and locking up pastors and adherents, in your spin, is justified.? Wow.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

mtierney said:

So, destroying churches and locking up pastors and adherents, in your spin, is justified.? Wow.

No, I was merely pointing out that the Chinese government is not specifically anti-Christian the way that, say, the Catholic Church was anti-Judaism.  The Chinese government isn't interested in strong non-governmental organizations around which dissidents might coalesce.

So, I just don't want you to present it as a specifically anti-Christian thing.

mtierney said:

tjohn said:

mtierney said:

Talk about misunderstanding a simple statement!  No wonder you support Trump.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Help Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!