Pope Francis, Catholics, and Christians in the news worldwide

snake Tha s for the reporting !

The Pope will appoint 14  new cardinals today — fresh perspectives will stir the pot!

Catholic chapel within a private estate and Evangelical Church at the same time on a Sunday morning. Where are the Seton Hall seminarians?

mtierney said:
   snake Tha s for the reporting !

The Pope will appoint 14  new cardinals today — fresh perspectives will stir the pot!

I am encouraged by this as well.  Every Cardinal that Francis appoints makes it that much less likely that we will experience another failed Pope like Ratzinger. Another nail in the coffin of conservative Catholicism.

While driving this morning to take the pictures above, I topped the car to ask a young fellow about the chapel which was about 250 meters from where he was working. He told me that it’s only used when someone in the community dies. His grandmother died two years ago, and they had mass for her there. He said that the chapel is old and beautiful. He added that in his grandmother’s times, everyone who worked in the farm had to go to mass lead by a priest who came from Santiago. There is another farm that I went to which also has its own private chapel. Given the close relationship between landowners and the church, it’s easy to understand why priests become involved in politics willingly or not and how they come to exercise power. Braking those relationships might require fundinf the priests by some other method in rural communities. On the other hand the Evangelicals seem to be finding a different  road.

Breaking news in Australia: a Catholic  Archbishop found guilty for covering up historic child abuse!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-22/adelaide-archbishop-found-guilty-of-concealing-child-abuse/9783612

The investigations, the revelations, the interrogations are gushing like torrential waters in a broken dam.  The Pope will meet with priests who worked alongside Karadima, the convicted abuser, on the First of June, and a priest says that he tried to report abuse to a nuncio in 2014, and the Pope's representative refused to see him or the victims that he brought along with him.  https://edition.pagesuite.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=33084897-397a-48cc-b3c0-3ce1ec447137

Copihue said:
The investigations, the revelations, the interrogations continue like torrential waters in a broken dam.  The Pope will meet with priests who worked alongside Karadima, the convicted abuser, on the First of June, and a priest says that he tried to report abuse to a nuncio in 2014, and the Pope's representative refused to see him or the victims that he brought along with him.  https://edition.pagesuite.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=33084897-397a-48cc-b3c0-3ce1ec447137

This is happening in every Catholic country on the planet.  The magnitude is simply astounding.  

The Pope needs to handle this very well, and from what I can see, he is doing it.  However, in the meantime what is coming out is very disturbing.

The Pope needs to handle this very well, and from what I can see, he is doing it.  However, in the meantime what is coming out is very disturbing.

To be fair, Ivo Scopolo, the nuncio referenced in the article, was appointed by Ratzinger, not Francis.  To the extent that Francis has tried to confront this issue he has been consistently opposed by the appointees of Pope John Paul II and Ratzinger, both of whom did their best to conceal the Church's role in all of this, even if it meant that the rapes continued unabated.

The denials are in today's papers, but this is an important story:  at least one priest tried to protect the children, and they were blocked by the hierarchy of Rome.  He says that there are many other cases, but the priests are afraid to speak which is yet another problem.  

I don't know if everyone has been in the position of working with clients, and you know that something is taking place that shouldn't, but the hierarchy is corrupt, so there is no place where to take the problem.   I was in such a position, and I finally had to leave.  New senior administrators came in, and they fired most of the people involved, but I was out of a job. It also took decades to get an administrator who was not afraid to take action.  Not everyone is able to take a stand, and eventually practically everyone who stayed was tainted by the situation, because they didn't quit, because they had enabled a situation over which they had no control. It's a difficult process to assign responsibility, and some of the guiltiest parties remain.  

I don't know if this is what is going on, maybe I am putting too much into it, but that is how I understand what I read.

Copihue clearly presents the case for those who recognize/suspect  abuse is taking place but fear job loss, etc for speaking out. There needs to be a Me2 movement to protect witnesses to abuse, to support the victims.

mtierney said:
Copihue clearly presents the case for those who recognize/suspect  abuse is taking place but fear job loss, etc for speaking out. There needs to be a Me2 movement to protect witnesses to abuse, to support the victims.

An obvious remedy here in the US would be to change the laws to give victims greater latitude in suing the wrong doers and those who facilitated their actions. Unfortunately, efforts to make such changes have been vigorously opposed by the American Church in general and Cardinal Dolan specifically. 

The sad truth appears to be that even in nations where such laws exist, Churches and even some charities have been able to present ‘special case’ exemptions or protection to authorities so have been safe from prosecution. 

We’re fortunate that we now have both courts and governments willing to accept community expectations and legislation, and hold clergy, government workers, and philanthropists to the standards we ordinary citizens are held.

A long overdue victory for the rights of women.

BBC: Abortion referendum Irish PM hails 'quiet revolution'

"What we've seen is the culmination of a quiet revolution that's been taking place in Ireland over the past 20 years. (Irish voters) trust and respect women to make the right choices and decisions about their own health care"

Wow.  I just read that the exit polls suggest the referendum may have won with as much as 70% of the vote.   Interesting to see how people who understand the very real consequences of criminalizing abortion feel about the issue.

Excellent article in today's NYT, describing how Pope Francis is focusing his energies on his mission to the poor, and on the Southern hemisphere, rather than the hopeless task of trying to save the roots of Christian Europe traditionalism, unlike his predecessor.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/27/world/europe/pope-francis-ireland-catholic-church.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Will this never end?  The cases in question occurred decades ago and the Church is still hiding the information.

Lawyer calls on Catholic church to release 'secret' records in Rochester priest scandal

"As we speak today, there's no doubt in my mind that innocent children within the Diocese of Rochester are being sexually abused," lawyer for the victims Mitchell Garabedian said "because we're dealing with an entity that has covered up sexual abuse for decades upon decades.  There's no reason for them to stop now."

The Vatican announced the acceptance of three resignations of the sexual abuse scandal of Karadima in Santiago:  on top of the list is Barros of Osorno who was the lightning rod, the Bishop of Valparaiso where I live, and the bishop of Puerto Mont.  Interestingly the scandal was based in Santiago, and as of yet those folks remain on the job.  The consensus here is that more "retirements" are in the works.  House cleaning has begun.

I will be away from MOL for awhile. My husband died on June 10th. He had been sick for two years and in hospice care at home for the past six months. We have been together for almost 64 years, so I have no idea of how I will be able to adjust to life without his presence. God will give me the strength, I believe, but your prayers will make a difference in this journey.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. You certainly were a loving and dedicated wife.

mtierney said:
I will be away from MOL for awhile. My husband died on June 10th. He had been sick for two years and in hospice care at home for the past six months. We have been together for almost 64 years, so I have no idea of how I will be able to adjust to life without his presence. God will give me the strength, I believe, but your prayers will make a difference in this journey.

My deepest condolences on your loss.

mtierney said:

So sorry to hear, you are in my thoughts and condolences.  

My deepest condolences to you and your family, mtierney. 

I'm sorry to hear this -- my sincere sympathy.

mtierney said:

Sorry to hear that. May his memory always be a blessing to you.

So sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the love of your family & friends.

Mrs. GB

Sorry for your loss, mtierney.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.