The Bitching Thread

There are certainly people who would offer rides, to and from the evening event.  How would this be coordinated?

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

There are certainly people who would offer rides, to and from the evening event.  How would this be coordinated?

SOMA Two Towns For All Ages would be in the best position to coordinate rides. The Recreation Department and the Seniors Advisory Committee could handle publicity if this were put in place quickly.  A drop off area would be needed for those with mobility issues.  That would have to be arranged through the town.  Since there are six business days to put this together, I doubt there would be time to get this in place for this year.  Town officials need to be educated so this does not happen next year.

Musings from afar...

Super short time to plan, but would any of the following be possible and enjoyable?

Informal picnic in the park for chat, snacks, watching the events.  Food and drinks potluck? Vendors on site already? Rec dept or ? could provide some?  Seating?

Jitney (is it still there?) for transportation to the park?

Civic group(s) such as scout or other youth groups to help set up, carry chairs, etc.  Announcements/requests for help at religious institutions this weekend?

If the park is a stretch, block gatherings for watching the fireworks (if any?).  Sitting out with neighbors is at least better than staying in alone? 

How to get out the word about any of this??

eta: from a long-time admirer.  Go get 'em, Joan!

I think the discussion about providing access for seniors to the 4th of July festivities deserves its own thread. Seriously. 

mjc said:

Musings from afar...

Super short time to plan, but would any of the following be possible and enjoyable?

Informal picnic in the park for chat, snacks, watching the events.  Food and drinks potluck? Vendors on site already? Rec dept or ? could provide some?  Seating?

Jitney (is it still there?) for transportation to the park?

Civic group(s) such as scout or other youth groups to help set up, carry chairs, etc.  Announcements/requests for help at religious institutions this weekend?

If the park is a stretch, block gatherings for watching the fireworks (if any?).  Sitting out with neighbors is at least better than staying in alone? 

How to get out the word about any of this??

eta: from a long-time admirer.  Go get 'em, Joan!

Thank  you so much for your suggestions.  Unfortunately, the town did not announce their complete plans until yesterday.  There just isn't enough time to plan, set up and publicize what would be needed for the July 2 program to meet the needs of older adults. Ditto adding an age friendly event on July 4th during the day.  Those that can and want to attend will find a way to do so.  Those who lack the support to do so will not.  After two years of this, my focus will be on making sure older adults are included next year.  

mrincredible said:

I think the discussion about providing access for seniors to the 4th of July festivities deserves its own thread. Seriously. 

This was posted as a gripe, not a problem solving session to fix what I consider an injustice.  I deeply appreciate everyone's suggestions and confidence in my ability to fix this but as I stated above, at this point the focus will have to be on next year.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.