That didn't last long - SOMSD teachers not returning for in-person instruction

That's true. Teachers as well.   I don't see why people are critical of this.  It's not like the district has picked an arbitrary number.

Who's to say people won't travel during those next two weeks (so called quarantine)? With school on-line and half day for most kids, one could still in theory go to visit Grandma in Florida or a variety of other places.

No system can catch all the people who want to cheat, but this handles the health requirements of honest people.  As far as most kids being half day, i have to ask if you have a high schooler?  My kid is done class by noon.  Then after lunch he meets with at least one teacher every day, except maybe Friday.  Then he does homework until at least 5.  Every day except Friday.  On Fridays it is easier, he just has an after school pre calc quiz every Friday.   If I tried to travel with him his grades would plummet for weeks as he tried to keep up and then catch up.  

FilmCarp, your observations are on point. When my kid is online, face is on, work is done. Then more work after that. More than half the kids use memes and phone it in. Then, with the sprinkling of cohort attendance, what is truly the point? This year has been a disaster with somsd. The lack of transparency, the union issues, the admin, the bs. If I had a young child in District I would say move or go to private 'cuz they are a hot mess. 

tuxedo said:

FilmCarp, your observations are on point. When my kid is online, face is on, work is done. Then more work after that. More than half the kids use memes and phone it in. Then, with the sprinkling of cohort attendance, what is truly the point? This year has been a disaster with somsd. The lack of transparency, the union issues, the admin, the bs. If I had a young child in District I would say move or go to private 'cuz they are a hot mess. 

Funny, I drew different conclusions.  This year has been a mess for all of humanity.  My son is working to get a pretty good education this year anyway.  If a kid doesn't  give a damn he or she will probably fail.

FilmCarp said:

If a kid doesn't  give a damn he or she will probably fail.

FC-It's wonderful that your child is able to overcome the stresses related to covid better than many of his peers. This statement is rather harsh, however, considering the high level of psychological strain this pandemic has put on many people for many reasons. Consider a student with ADHD or even just an "average" level of academic motivation. This year has been extremely difficult for them, and I hope the district devotes the covid relief money towards remediating this year's failure to meet their needs. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking smaller class sizes next year would go a long way.

berkeley said:

FC-It's wonderful that your child is able to overcome the stresses related to covid better than many of his peers. This statement is rather harsh, however, considering the high level of psychological strain this pandemic has put on many people for many reasons. Consider a student with ADHD or even just an "average" level of academic motivation. This year has been extremely difficult for them, and I hope the district devotes the covid relief money towards remediating this year's failure to meet their needs. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking smaller class sizes next year would go a long way.

Berkeley, you are correct. I was fortunate to have stopped working during COVID to ensure the least amount of regression possible. Why? Because I knew that with my normal and yes, backsliding and slacking teen, stuff would occur. My role has been to crack the whip. I've lost money, I'm tired and I'm resentful that I've had to take on this role. I'm so tired of the litany of communiques from the District. I cannot keep up anymore. Just keep the darn schools closed at this stage. What will we have now, maybe a month and a half of in-person? Guarantee you, as soon as April 19th comes around, we will read another Matter of Fact...hey, COVID numbers are up. Can't all come back now. Many teens during COVID have been stressed, fatigued, bored, etc. Summer school? The kids need to be outside, with masks, off screen and be with other people. Our District administration, not the teachers, has been an utter failure. 

FilmCarp said:

So none of you think a two week quarantine is necessary?  

I do think it’s a good idea. But once it’s over—I think our version of “hybrid” includes little actual time in school. It’s just a few hours a week. Sometimes none at all. 

FilmCarp said:

Funny, I drew different conclusions.  This year has been a mess for all of humanity.  My son is working to get a pretty good education this year anyway.  If a kid doesn't  give a damn he or she will probably fail.

I am glad to hear your son is doing well with all of the challenges. Mine is not. The remote learning and lack of real connection with both teachers and students has been really tough for him. 

tuxedo said:

Our District administration, not the teachers, has been an utter failure. 

There is plenty of blame to share between the administration and the teachers.

yahooyahoo said:

tuxedo said:

Our District administration, not the teachers, has been an utter failure. 

And the parents

In Millburn high school though we are hybrid, in school half a day 2-3 days a week (kids are in 2 cohorts by last name) and schedule flips every day to ensure in person for every class. I get the feeling most HS kids have stayed remote as classes have like 2 kids in person max (and they have to be on the zoom anyway). My senior stayed full remote. On May 3 we start full day but still in cohorts so 2-3 days a week. My kid is saying she will stay remote though I am trying to convince her to go in (especially as she has a spring sport so she has to go over after school anyway).

I will say the # of cases in the lower grades seems to have gone up as I am getting an email like every other day of a new elementary or middle school case. But we also started optional testing once a week so not sure if that has had an impact.

Update: I'm a HS teacher in diff. district, now in my second round of quarantine this month due to exposure from another covid positive student (on day 5 of my return).  I had at most 4 students in my classes, in most it was only one or two.  A would like to just share that even though I am not privy to health-related issues of my students overall, a few parents have informed me of some serious and alarming issues: both acute (trouble breathing), and lasting cognitive problems.

Almost twenty percent of our teachers are out today!  There are not enough subs, and not enough teachers with available free periods to cover all in-person classes. 

On a positive note, more teachers are reaching the two-weeks post vaccine and won't have to go into quarantine again.

I also have a question about covid testing:  does anyone know whether this district has looked into pooled testing (as many of the NJ private schools are doing), or randomized testing (as in the NYC model)?

yahooyahoo said:

Absolutely. 

birdwatcher said:

I am glad to hear your son is doing well with all of the challenges. Mine is not. The remote learning and lack of real connection with both teachers and students has been really tough for him. 

@birdwatcher,

This is a crazy tough year to be a new kid. Did you try reaching out to the school or HSA to see if there are any other new students your son could connect with?

I'm wondering how many students will be doing their virtual schooling from an extended vacation location rather than from home (assuming their parents are WFH also)?  Of course, that's fine if they are in their own vacation rental and not going out and about and then can just drive home, but what if they are flying or taking trains or far enough away that they can't avoid mingling with people, especially in other states?

sac said:

I'm wondering how many students will be doing their virtual schooling from an extended vacation location rather than from home (assuming their parents are WFH also)?  Of course, that's fine if they are in their own vacation rental and not going out and about and then can just drive home, but what if they are flying or taking trains or far enough away that they can't avoid mingling with people, especially in other states?

unfortunately, our kids' generation will be so behind and referred to as the COVID generation and not competitive...generally, but not every person of course.

tuxedo said:

sac said:

unfortunately, our kids' generation will be so behind and referred to as the COVID generation and not competitive...generally, but not every person of course.

I'm not getting the connection between your response and my comment/questions.  And I really think that kids are pretty resilient and will get through this.  Who is it that they are "behind" anyway?  And it's a year or so, not a generation.  

Like SOMEA, the NEA is hitting the brakes on things going back to normal in a post-vaccine September.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/schools-fall-plans/2021/03/30/0fb982a8-8daf-11eb-a730-1b4ed9656258_story.html

chalmers said:

Like SOMEA, the NEA is hitting the brakes on things going back to normal in a post-vaccine September.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/schools-fall-plans/2021/03/30/0fb982a8-8daf-11eb-a730-1b4ed9656258_story.html

Two paragraphs, deep into the article: The NEA president saying that there may be some hybrid classes even in the fall and that “we still have lots of questions.” The rest of the article: District superintendents and parents saying the same thing.

SOMEA's response to the district's request for an injunction essentially dismissed any significance of vaccines received by teachers. The argument states that even if most or all of the teachers have been vaccinated, they might have family members who haven't received the shot, so decision-making should be done as if the inoculations did not occur.

This and other arguments seem geared toward issues that would still be in play when deciding what to do this fall.

chalmers said:

SOMEA's response to the district's request for an injunction essentially dismissed any significance of vaccines received by teachers.

The union response I saw focused on the grievance process regarding room safety. Is the argument you mention written or voiced somewhere online for review?

DaveSchmidt said:

The union response I saw focused on the grievance process regarding room safety. Is the argument you mention written or voiced somewhere online for review?

I've attached the document. The relevant language is on Page 18 among reasons why full-time, in-person instruction cannot resume immediately. SOMEA says it is "their understanding" that that is what the plaintiffs want, but I don't recall anyone saying that. Here's the language that signals universal vaccination, not just vaccination of teachers, is where the goalpost is now set:

"Most students are ineligible for the existing vaccines due to age or distribution eligibility. While teachers are eligible to be vaccinated, immunization is not necessarily available to the family members of teachers and staff and it is not yet clear that a vaccinated teacher or staff member cannot carry and transmit the virus at home." 

This raises a few points. First, no matter where anyone stood on this issue, I think everyone wanted teachers to be vaccinated as early as possible. Under this standard, there was no point to that. Second, I think the vaccine is now limited to individuals 16 and older. We're just now hearing about testing on children aged 12-15. Is the new benchmark 100 percent or near 100 percent vaccination of everyone aged 5-18?

Finally, once again, there's no "We need A,B and C to go back" or "We'll return in September unless X, Y and Z." The buildings won't be younger five months from now and COVID-19 will not just disappear. All of the arguments from this brief would seem to apply in September with perhaps some slight factual changes. Like everyone else, SOMEA wants to get back to normal, but if I were a parent who was committed to having their child in a near-normal school setting this fall, there's nothing here that gives me confidence that will be the case in this district. 

SOMEA reply.pdf

Wow, this is not good. It seems like teachers are saying they can only teach in an environment where there is 0% chance of being exposed to covid. Do they not leave their houses? They are all keeping their kids and family members home? Because this is the world we live in. There is a small chance of getting covid even if you've been vaccinated. Although the vaccine seems to almost eliminate the chance of death...

Consider how we've lived with the flu and teachers for years have been teaching in rooms full of children who potentially have flu. Because we know the flu vaccine is typically only about 60% effective against flu. And we know flu can be deadly for children (including of course family members of teachers). The evidence we have is that influenza is deadlier for children than covid-19.

I'm all for safe work environments and I take precautions when out doing my job where I come in contact with large numbers of people. But I can't eliminate exposure risk 100% unless I quit and move to my basement.

Why does our union seemingly have more power than most other teachers' unions across the state and country (real question)? 

berkeley said:

Wow, this is not good. It seems like teachers are saying they can only teach in an environment where there is 0% chance of being exposed to covid. Do they not leave their houses? They are all keeping their kids and family members home? Because this is the world we live in. There is a small chance of getting covid even if you've been vaccinated. Although the vaccine seems to almost eliminate the chance of death...

Consider how we've lived with the flu and teachers for years have been teaching in rooms full of children who potentially have flu. Because we know the flu vaccine is typically only about 60% effective against flu. And we know flu can be deadly for children (including of course family members of teachers). The evidence we have is that influenza is deadlier for children than covid-19.

I'm all for safe work environments and I take precautions when out doing my job where I come in contact with large numbers of people. But I can't eliminate exposure risk 100% unless I quit and move to my basement.

Why does our union seemingly have more power than most other teachers' unions across the state and country (real question)? 

These questions are being discussed everywhere.  Not just here.   

"These questions are being discussed everywhere. Not just here."

The large majority of school districts across the state and country seem to have reconciled to the idea that 100% bubble cannot be created. I'm not sure that's the case here. Or is it just posturing by the union? If so, to what end?

berkeley said:

Plenty of teachers went on vacation over spring break, just like the student population.

Teachers originally said they can't go back without being vaccinated. Now they are saying all rooms must be 100% safe.  Based on their evolving criteria, there will never be enough safety for them to return to the classroom 100% of the time.

chalmers said:

I've attached the document.

Thank you.

Whether or not SOMEA’s understanding of a district desire for an immediate return to full-time in-person instruction is correct — it does make me scratch my head, given the agreed-upon expansion of hybrid classes through May 3 — that section is predicated on such an immediate desire. Another excerpt is this: “Immunization will undoubtedly go a long way toward returning to full non-hybrid instruction, but now, that process is on-going.” (To me, that sounds like either A, B or C of “We need A, B and C to go back.” Probably A.)

If I were the parent you described, I’d have a different interpretation from yours. Mine would be this: As FilmCarp implied, there’s a lot that we don’t know right now about the fall, and SOMEA, having been burned by the district on air filtration, is getting its current concerns on the record. I don’t read it as setting the stage for objections later, per se; I read it as setting the stage for objections later, if needed.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.