The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

mtierney said:

The spectacle in Washington today will come to haunt the Democrats. Vengefulness is ugly and dishonors the political process. To impeach a president in only two days, a week before he was to leave office, is an embarrassment on the world stage. Not just for the President, but for our political infighting.

The President’s response tonight is very explicit in condemning violence. I hope his message is  heard by the 74+ million Americans who voted for  him. This is a violent period in America, with the coronavirus killing more Americans today, than any other day, since the pandemic began. 

The Democrats are still holding the stimulus bill and the $2K checks hostage while they have their priorities focused on vengeance above all else.

My guess another loser in all this chaos is the president-elect. 

you have CAT to be kidding. 

mtierney said:

The spectacle in Washington today will come to haunt the Democrats. Vengefulness is ugly and dishonors the political process. To impeach a president in only two days, a week before he was to leave office, is an embarrassment on the world stage. Not just for the President, but for our political infighting.

The President’s response tonight is very explicit in condemning violence. I hope his message is  heard by the 74+ million Americans who voted for  him. This is a violent period in America, with the coronavirus killing more Americans today, than any other day, since the pandemic began. 

The Democrats are still holding the stimulus bill and the $2K checks hostage while they have their priorities focused on vengeance above all else.

Does it give you no pause that the Majority Leader welcomed the impeachment? Says he’s not sure how he’ll vote on conviction?

Does it strike you as odd that if you are correct, that 20 Republicans voted for the impeachment despite the “righteousness” of the President’s actions?

You seem to have internalized the horror that is the virus. Isn’t it strange that your tribe, including your President and most of your party leadership has rejected wearing masks; a common-sense precaution?  I think you wear a mask. How come they don’t?

I expect no responses, but what’s strange about all of this?

"Vengefulness is ugly and dishonors the political process."

And what else can one say about the outgoing president's words since the election, other than he "dishonors the political process," in the face of audits, recounts, court cases....

The post is like T himself:  most (unaudited statistic) of the accusations he throws around describe his actions at least as much as anyone else's.  Year after year of projection.  Can't be over soon enough.

drummerboy said:

mtierney said:

almost everything said here is the opposite of reality.

That's for sure.

The only correct thing in her screed is the virus killing more. And we know whose fault that is? Trump is responsible for at least 250,000 of the 375,000 deaths. We know that by comparing our rate against countries that have competent effective leadership. 

The big question is what is going to happen on January 21st, when the cultists wake up and realize that Trump really isn't their president anymore. Will they move on with their lives, or will they continue to live in an alternative reality?

Four years ago, what I thought would happen is that on January 21st Trump would disappear into the memory hole and we'd jump straight into whatever outrage du jour Fox news was yelling about next. There wasn't so much talk about Bush once Obama was in office, after all. After 1/6, I don't really know what happens. I suppose a former president losing a fight against a violent anti-American insurgency is different than a former president leading a violent anti-American insurgency.

PVW said:

Four years ago, what I thought would happen is that on January 21st Trump would disappear into the memory hole and we'd jump straight into whatever outrage du jour Fox news was yelling about next. There wasn't so much talk about Bush once Obama was in office, after all. After 1/6, I don't really know what happens. I suppose a former president losing a fight against a violent anti-American insurgency is different than a former president leading a violent anti-American insurgency.

I have a dread feeling that there's going to be a lot of right-wing violence over the next several years.  And unlike "Islamic terrorism" it's going to be something that's going to really affect our lives. In large part because as Jan. 6 showed, there are likely a lot of police and military on the inside of these militia-type groups.  And those are people who have access to places where they can do some real damage.  Just think if the people responsible for security at an NFL game, or concert, or campaign event are the real bombers or shooters.  

I want to go back to the war on Christmas. That was ridiculous and just performative outrage. Now I feel like we all just got a memo titled "Trump determined to Strike U.S."

I'm not even surprised at this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/01/14/secret-service-bathroom-ivanka-trump-jared-kushner/

Many U.S. Secret Service agents have stood guard in Washington’s elite Kalorama neighborhood, home over the years to Cabinet secretaries and former presidents. Those agents have had to worry about death threats, secure perimeters and suspicious strangers. But with the arrival of Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner, they had a new worry: finding a toilet.

Instructed not to use any of the half-dozen bathrooms inside the couple’s house, the Secret Service detail assigned to President Trump’s daughter and son-in-law spent months searching for a reliable restroom to use on the job, according to neighbors and law enforcement officials. After resorting to a porta-potty, as well as bathrooms at the nearby home of former president Barack Obama and the not-so-nearby residence of Vice President Pence, the agents finally found a toilet to call their own.

RCP selects this NYPost article....

https://nypost.com/2021/01/13/the-lefts-bare-faced-hypocrisy-devine/

“Capitol Police had been left like lambs to the slaughter in part because the cop-hating mayor of DC, Muriel Bowser, wrote to the Department of Justice the day before the protests specifically to reject federal reinforcements.

“The flexible morality and selective outrage of the Democrats and their media boosters is so dishonest, it makes your head spin.

Why wasn’t BLM probed like this?

“At a thunderous press conference Tuesday, acting US Attorney for DC Michael Sherwin said law enforcement officials are treating last week’s Capitol riot “like an international counterterrorism investigation. We’re looking at everything — money, travel records. No resource will be unchecked.”

“It is reportedly one of the “most expansive criminal investigations in the history of the Justice Department,” with all 56 FBI field offices involved.

“Great, but where was that kind of gravitas when BLM-Antifa rioters locked Seattle police in a building and tried to burn them alive?

“Or when police were attacked with bricks and Molotov cocktails, whole blocks were looted and set ablaze at a cost of billions of dollars, and parts of some US cities were turned into lawless autonomous zones inside which people were murdered? For months.

“There now are at least twice as many troops guarding the nation’s capital than the total number of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

“Maybe it’s not overkill, but the optics also serve the purpose of further demonizing President Trump and his supporters to a worldwide audience.

“That’s why Nancy Pelosi posed merrily for photos outside the Capitol in front of rows of uniforms yesterday. All class, and subtle as a sledgehammer.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaks to National Guard troops outside the Capitol
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaks to National Guard troops outside the Capitol.

That's just idiotic what-aboutism.

Mtierney, I think it’s possible some of your requested answers might be found in this study: (see the Announcement)

https://acleddata.com/2020/07/09/introducing-the-us-crisis-monitor/

https://acleddata.com/2021/01/14/regional-overview-united-states13-december-8-january-2020/
Are you familiar with the Crisis Monitor? Usually the studies are for hotspots outside the USA; I gather the writers and the organisation are well-respected for their objectivity and academic  standards. 

joanne said:

Mtierney, I think it’s possible some of your requested answers might be found in this study: (see the Announcement)

Are you familiar with the Crisis Monitor? Usually the studies are for hotspots outside the USA; I gather the writers and the organisation are well-respected for their objectivity and academic  standards. 

mtierney doesn't look for answers. she looks for affirmations.

I know. That doesn’t mean we can’t sometimes share pertinent info. 

drummerboy said:

joanne said:

I know. That doesn’t mean we can’t sometimes share pertinent info. 

drummerboy said:

Agreed, and thanks for the links.

Can't believe Rudy and Donny have a falling out - they seemed so perfect together:

mtierney said:

“Capitol Police had been left like lambs to the slaughter in part because the cop-hating mayor of DC, Muriel Bowser, wrote to the Department of Justice the day before the protests specifically to reject federal reinforcements.

The Mayor of Washington is not in charge of the Capitol Police, has no authority over the Capitol Police, and doesn't make any decisions for the Capitol Police.  She happens to be an African-American woman, which is why the NY Post publishes racist rants like that. 

nohero said:

mtierney said:

The Mayor of Washington is not in charge of the Capitol Police, has no authority over the Capitol Police, and doesn't make any decisions for the Capitol Police.  She happens to be an African-American woman, which is why the NY Post publishes racist rants like that. 

The people in charge of the Capitol Police are four congressional committees, the heads of which at this time comprise of 2 democrats and 2 republicans. https://www.uscp.gov/the-department/oversight/congressional-committees

But you knew that before you posted that NY Post article, though, right, mtierney? 

mtierney said:

“The flexible morality and selective outrage of the Democrats and their media boosters is so dishonest, it makes your head spin.

Why wasn’t BLM probed like this?

“At a thunderous press conference Tuesday, acting US Attorney for DC Michael Sherwin said law enforcement officials are treating last week’s Capitol riot “like an international counterterrorism investigation. We’re looking at everything — money, travel records. No resource will be unchecked.”

“It is reportedly one of the “most expansive criminal investigations in the history of the Justice Department,” with all 56 FBI field offices involved.

“Great, but where was that kind of gravitas when BLM-Antifa rioters locked Seattle police in a building and tried to burn them alive?

“Or when police were attacked with bricks and Molotov cocktails, whole blocks were looted and set ablaze at a cost of billions of dollars, and parts of some US cities were turned into lawless autonomous zones inside which people were murdered? For months.

“There now are at least twice as many troops guarding the nation’s capital than the total number of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq combined.

“Maybe it’s not overkill, but the optics also serve the purpose of further demonizing President Trump and his supporters to a worldwide audience.

“That’s why Nancy Pelosi posed merrily for photos outside the Capitol in front of rows of uniforms yesterday. All class, and subtle as a sledgehammer.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaks to National Guard troops outside the Capitol
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaks to National Guard troops outside the Capitol.

Trump supporter about captured police officer: Kill him with his own gun!

joanne said:

https://acleddata.com/2021/01/14/regional-overview-united-states13-december-8-january-2020/

First question, Joanne, is how are you feeling?

To answer your question, I had no awareness of this Princeton-based group prior to reading your post.

Your second link references  another violent incident, the Nashville explosion. The troubled individual, a white man, has not been linked to any political, religious, or racial motivation, as far as I know. His final note re 5G and, his target, the AT&T building, revealed his motivation. He committed suicide in a very dramatic way to call attention to his personal fears — he even had the awareness that others might get hurt, and gave a warning.

Does a suicide belong in  this study of violence?  

“Day (New York Times, 26 December 2020). A man detonated a bomb inside a recreational vehicle parked in downtown Nashville following the broadcast of a recorded countdown, giving a 15-minute warning before the explosion. He was killed in the blast, which caused widespread communications outages after affecting an AT&T transmission building. Three people were injured and at least 41 buildings, many of them historical, were damaged by the blast. The man previously posted anti-5G conspiracy theories on his social media channels (Newsweek, 27 December 2020), though the motive for the bombing is still under investigation.”

https://www.insider.com/lizard-people-conspiracy-theory-origin-nashville-bomber-qanon-2021-1

Conspiracy theories commonly overlap with each other, and those theories "may be associated with increased radicalized and extremist behavior," as researchers found in the 2019 paper, "Understanding Conspiracy Theories," published in the Advances in Political Psychology journal.

The comingling of these beliefs has also been made clear in the Nashville case, as Warner espoused conspiracy theories related to 5G cellular networks and the September 11 attacks, according to WTVF.

There is no evidence indicating that Warner believed in QAnon specifically, but the lizard-people conspiracy theory has similarities to QAnon.

Marc-André Argentino, a PhD candidate at Concordia University researching extremism, explained in a thread on Twitter that both theories are about theodicy, or "explaining the problem of evil." In both the QAnon and lizard-people worldviews, the world is being "controlled by Evil blood drinking elites that are responsible for all the evil in the world."

BTW, for violence proponents, look no further than Maxine Waters and Chuck Schumer — who have be stirring the hate pot  for decades.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/01/14/an-impeachment-incitement/

mtierney said:

ridski said:

https://www.insider.com/lizard-people-conspiracy-theory-origin-nashville-bomber-qanon-2021-

There is no evidence indicating that Warner believed in QAnon specifically, but the lizard-people conspiracy theory has similarities to QAnon.

Marc-André Argentino, a PhD candidate at Concordia University researching extremism, explained in a thread on Twitter that both theories are about theodicy, or "explaining the problem of evil." In both the QAnon and lizard-people worldviews, the world is being "controlled by Evil blood drinking elites that are responsible for all the evil in the world."

I think, over centuries of warmongering and barbarism, it is simplistic to think that “evil” is new on the scene. The word, itself, has a religious component, so in our hedonistic society, evil (God) is responsible, therefore, religion is the evil threatening our world.

What a bizarre take.

You do realize that there are millions of religious Americans who identify as liberal, right? Who exactly are you accusing of believing that "in our hedonistic society, evil (God) is responsible"?

mtierney said:

BTW, for violence proponents, look no further than Maxine Waters and Chuck Schumer — who have be stirring the hate pot  for decades.

https://amgreatness.com/2021/01/14/an-impeachment-incitement/

OMG what a load of trash - they're actually pulling a Donny and blaming vaccine rollout on the States.  And the examples pale in comparison to what actually happened in DC.

Mtierney, thanks for asking: this has been a rough week following chemo, plus a multi-day migraine and a pulled back muscle - I’m telling myself I’m a ‘crystal ballerina’ and have to move carefully!  wink
And Ridski and PVW, thank you for your responses too.
Late yesterday my time I read a very long essay (about a month old) from the Boston Review that examined the history of how political ‘labels’ have changed/been used as Americans’ general acceptance or skeptism of Science has flowed, since the late 1880s. It’s quite fascinating to see that 100 years ago, many of the issues raised by mtierney were in fact ‘liberal’ or ‘progressive’ accusations against an increasingly dehumanised/mechanised society being left without a moral compass or human agency to affect better social change. Reading about the shifts in position of the Catholic and Protestant churches, depending on if there was Depression, World War, atomic blasts/Cold War, etc was also fascinating because so often the general official stances were not what we’d assume today. (The essay made my migraine worse)  I can see how some of that fear and uncertainty is now mirrored on the more conservative sides of society/politics. 

It’s only 5 am here, I haven’t slept well. My mind is not in the best place to think about let alone answer some of these questions above. If the conversation hasn’t moved on too much in a few hours, I’ll try to return. 

Our Grifter-in-Chief, when running away before the inauguration expects Pomp and Circumstance:

Mr. Trump’s pre-inaugural takeoff from Joint Base Andrews represents a relatively low-key conclusion to one of the most tumultuous terms of any president in history — although it will not be entirely devoid of the pomp he demands.

While the plans remain in flux, Mr. Trump hopes to depart to the blare of a military band, with a red carpet and military honors, those briefed on the planning said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/15/us/impeachment-trump

Floyd said:

Our Grifter-in-Chief, when running away before the inauguration expects Pomp and Circumstance:

Mr. Trump’s pre-inaugural takeoff from Joint Base Andrews represents a relatively low-key conclusion to one of the most tumultuous terms of any president in history — although it will not be entirely devoid of the pomp he demands.

While the plans remain in flux, Mr. Trump hopes to depart to the blare of a military band, with a red carpet and military honors, those briefed on the planning said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/01/15/us/impeachment-trump

The only military personnel at Trump's farewell should be those frisking him and going through his luggage to make sure he's not stealing anything from the White House.

nohero said:

The only military personnel at Trump's farewell should be those frisking him and going through his luggage to make sure he's not stealing anything from the White House.

I can't wait to see the eBay items that "John Miller" posts after January 20:

"Bust of Winston Churchill

Great sculpture of the very strong and tough English president during the war. People are saying it was fantastic that Trump, the greatest president returned it to the Oval Office.  It was perfect and totally appropriate gift to me from the president, believe me.

Starting Bid:  $10,000,000"

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.