The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

Baltimore paper attacks one of its own because she is female and a Republican...I thought we have come a long way? Story says there are no elected women representing the state on federal or local level! Pelosi’s home turf. The video is powerful.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/22/black-republican-candidate-with-viral-ad-slams-baltimore-sun-for-attacking-her-house-bid/

Pointing out disagreements is not "attacking". 

mtierney said:

Baltimore paper attacks one of its own because she is female and a Republican...I thought we have come a long way? Story says there are no elected women representing the state on federal or local level! Pelosi’s home turf. The video is powerful.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/08/22/black-republican-candidate-with-viral-ad-slams-baltimore-sun-for-attacking-her-house-bid/

Pelosi grew up there but hasn't lived there in ages, it's stupid to say it's her "home turf".  

mtierney said:

Baltimore paper attacks one of its own because she is female and a Republican...I thought we have come a long way? Story says there are no elected women representing the state on federal or local level! Pelosi’s home turf. The video is powerful.

Note where all the quotes from Klacik in The Federalist article came from: the Baltimore paper, which published her response.

Maryland’s treasurer is a woman, though elected by the legislature and not directly by state voters. (The state lists the office as an elected position.) Beyond that, it looks like men are 15-0.

New Jersey is 13-3.

mtierney said:

Baltimore paper attacks one of its own because she is female and a Republican... 

What do you exactly mean by "one of its own"? Are you referring to the fact that she is African American?

Or maybe the fact that both are Baltimorean.

Too close a connection  not to think of Baltimore as Pelosi’s “home turf”! A Dynasty, yet.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-dalesandro-family-20191021-w5ftn3ue2zdhfhzvvjr6fmu644-story.html

nohero said:

Pelosi grew up there but hasn't lived there in ages, it's stupid to say it's her "home turf".  

conservatives have become such snowflakes.  They use the word "attack" now to describe even a relatively polite article pointing out some pretty obvious facts about the candidate and her videos.

The newspaper thinks Ms. Klacik took some cheap shots at the city.  What a surprise that they pointed it out to their readers.

Oh, the horror!  It's an ATTACK!  AUUGGGGHHHH!

DaveSchmidt said:

Or maybe the fact that both are Baltimorean.

It's a local race, so that's not exactly adding much information. Think about it, that means she meant to say: "Baltimore paper attacks Baltimorean because she is female and a Republican...". That doesn't make a lot of sense.

mtierney said:

Nancy Pelosi has lived in California since 1969.  While it might be relevant in a biography of the Speaker to call Baltimore her "home turf," it has zero relevance to any stories being written about the city's current politics.

can we ban links to thefederalist? they're such trash.

Who funds the federalist anyway?

mtierney said:

Some thoughts on "Baltimore paper attacks one of its own ..." 

"A Republican has never represented the state’s 7th District, which includes much of Baltimore City and parts of Baltimore and Howard counties. ... Klacik does not live in the 7th District, but she has pledged to move there if elected." 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-whos-who-district-7-klacik-20200205-tpuj4p6ofng25e6p5i4oisxvgy-story.html

Also, she does not live in Baltimore.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Some thoughts on "Baltimore paper attacks one of its own ..." 

"A Republican has never represented the state’s 7th District, which includes much of Baltimore City and parts of Baltimore and Howard counties. ... Klacik does not live in the 7th District, but she has pledged to move there if elected." 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/politics/bs-md-pol-whos-who-district-7-klacik-20200205-tpuj4p6ofng25e6p5i4oisxvgy-story.html

I did not know that. So there goes @DaveSchmidt's theory about "one of its own" referring to her being a Baltimorean. I think we all know what mtierney meant.

nohero said:

Sorry, my error in assuming that “in 2010, she moved to Baltimore” was still current.

basil said:

I did not know that. So there goes @DaveSchmidt's theory about "one of its own" referring to her being a Baltimorean. I think we all know what mtierney meant.

The Sun’s editorial board consists of a white woman, a Black woman, a white man and a female Asian-American intern. Now that my theory has been blown to bits, feel free to elaborate on yours. 

DaveSchmidt said:

basil said:

The Sun’s editorial board consists of a white woman, a Black woman, a white man and a female Asian-American intern. Now that my theory has been blown to bits, feel free to elaborate on yours. 

Well, let’s see, African Americans represent almost two thirds of Baltimore’s population. Its mayor is African American. Trump has called it a “rodent infested mess” (another dog whistle). You think this could possibly have anything to do with it?

basil said:

Well, let’s see, African Americans represent almost two thirds of Baltimore’s population. Its mayor is African American. Trump has called it a “rodent infested mess” (another dog whistle). You think this could possibly have anything to do with it?

Anything’s possible. Given that “its own” referred to The Sun, I’d have follow-up questions about the grammar, though. (Then again, I almost always have some questions about grammar.)

It was fun exploring mtierney’s intentions with you.

mtierney said:

What physical condition causes plagiarism?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwibnMDImLLrAhWBYTUKHertChgQFjACegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8654589%2FJoe-Biden-faces-new-plagiarism-accusation-following-DNC-acceptance-speech.html&usg=AOvVaw2GYTyR7cU8_Mcqg6np1bT_

maybe you should ask Ben Domenech, founder of thefederalist.com

Plagiarism

In early 2006, Domenech was hired by the Washington Post's online arm to write a blog providing "a daily mix of commentary, analysis and cultural criticism".[38] Media Matters for America criticized the choice, claiming that "[t]here [were], however, no progressive bloggers—and no one left of center with the credentials of a political operative—on washingtonpost.com to provide balance to Domenech."[39] Instapundit founder Glenn Reynolds told The New York Times that Domenech's appointment attracted anger among liberals "because he was a conservative and he was given real estate at The Washington Post" and this spurred bloggers to find "something they could use to get rid of him," referring to disclosures only days after Domenech's appointment of his extensive plagiarism.[4]

Red America launched on March 21, 2006, but Domenech resigned three days later after having written only six posts, after his fellow bloggers posted evidence online that Domenech had plagiarized the work of other journalists from The Washington Post, The New Yorker, National Review, the humorist P. J. O'Rourke, the film critic Stephanie Zacharek, the writer, Mary Elizabeth Williams, and that of several other publications and writers. O'Rourke denied Domenech's claim that the humorist had granted permission to use his words: "I wouldn't want to swear in a court of law that I never met the guy", O'Rourke told The New York Times, "but I didn't give him permission to use my words under his byline, no."[4] Editors for Domenech's college newspaper, The Flat Hat, denied allegations by Domenech that one instance of plagiarism resulted from his editors having "inserted a passage from The New Yorker in an article without his knowledge," saying that "Mr. Domenech's actions, if true, [were] deeply offensive." In another instance, Domenech has plagiarized from a front-page article in The Washington Post, the very newspaper he was now going to work for.[4] On March 24, 2006, the editors of The National Review confirmed on its blog The Corner[40] that Domenech appeared to have plagiarized for at least one article he had written for that publication.

Demands for Domenech's resignation were immediate and came not only came from liberal and progressive writers and bloggers, but also many conservatives who had been previously supportive. Michelle Malkin, who published a book edited by Domenech, wrote:

I cheered for Ben, the editor of my last book at Regnery, when he announced his new position. I criticized unhinged bloggers on the Left who leveled vicious ad hominem attacks against him.But now the determined moonbat hordes have exposed multiple instances of what clearly appear to me to be blatant lifting of entire, unique passages by Ben from other writers. It is one thing to paraphrase  basic facts from a wire story. But to filch the original thoughts and distinctly crafted phrases of a writer without crediting him/her–and doing so repeatedly–is unacceptable in our business.[41]

The Washington Post online editor Jim Brady announced Domenech's resignation saying "[a]n investigation into these allegations [of plagiarism] was ongoing, and in the interim, Domenech has resigned, effective immediately."[42]

After initially denying that he had plagiarized, Domenech apologized, writing in a RedState post entitled "Contrition," that "[t]here is no excuse for this.... I hope that nothing I've done as a teenager or in my professional life will reflect badly on the movement and principles I believe in... I'm a young man, and I hope that in time that I can earn a measure of the respect that you have given me."[43]

Only days earlier, Domenech addressed his detractors, upset by his plagiarism, defiantly, writing in a blog post: "To my enemies: I take enormous solace in the fact that you spent this week bashing me, instead of America."[

mtierney said:

What physical condition causes plagiarism?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwibnMDImLLrAhWBYTUKHertChgQFjACegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Farticle-8654589%2FJoe-Biden-faces-new-plagiarism-accusation-following-DNC-acceptance-speech.html&usg=AOvVaw2GYTyR7cU8_Mcqg6np1bT_

really?  first of all that's The Daily Mail, so the credibility level to start is pretty low.  But those particular words from Biden's speech are phrased in a such a common form that to claim it's stolen from anyone is ludicrous.  I mean, how similar is it to this quote from David Crosby, which is what came to my mind when Biden was speaking?

But I don’t think the things we espoused in the ‘60s were wrong: that love is better than hatred, that peace is better than war. I think those are true; I don’t think we were wrong about any of those.”

These are fairly trite phrases, so much so that it's like saying that I'm plagiarizing by telling you you're barking up the wrong tree with this plagiarism nonsense.

Biden has been accused of plagiarism throughout his career — even as a student at Syracuse Law School.

Where there is smoke, there often is fire.

Seriously guffaw inducing nonsense from someone who makes excuses for every Trump uttering,tweetand policy.  

Love is more powerful than hate.
Hope is more powerful than fear.
Light is more powerful than dark.

Pretty basic concepts in religion, morals, and philosophy that Biden didn't say were original with him.  The idea that they were stolen from some Canadian politician's words (which aren't the same words) is pretty silly.

mtierney said:

Biden has been accused of plagiarism throughout his career — even as a student at Syracuse Law School.

Eh, well ok:

Donald Trump, current president of the United States, has been accused of rape, sexual assault, and sexual harassment, including non-consensual kissing or groping, by at least 25 women since the 1970s. The accusations have resulted in three much reported instances of litigation: his then-wife Ivana made a rape claim during their 1989 divorce litigation but later recanted that claim; businesswoman Jill Harth sued Trump in 1997 alleging breach of contract while also suing for nonviolent sexual harassment but withdrew the latter suit as part of a settlement for relating to the former suit; and, in 2017, former The Apprentice contestant Summer Zervos filed a defamation lawsuit after Trump called her a liar.

And that is just the opening paragraph from the Wikipedia page about Donald Trumps sexual misconduct allegations.

As you said, where there is smoke, there is often fire. The difference is that with Biden the accusations are about plagiarism, with Trump they are about rape.

mtierney said:

Perhaps you should ask Melania who is an expert on plagiarism. 

mtierney said:

that's a pretty absurd response.  The words are either plagiarized or they aren't.  And they aren't.

mtierney said:

The predictable projection by Trump's rubes.

Trump's reprehensible sexual behavior. Their response is "nothing to see here" but look at Biden's behavior.

Trump is widely known as a moron or dotard. They tell us not true and then accuse Biden of being mentally slow.

We hear of Trump's plagiarism and cheating. Their response "look at Biden."

Trump and his minions are shoving tons of crap at us which is happily eaten by their rubes. Trump's many faults being projected onto Biden.

You really think this will gain you Trumpers any traction? How stupid do you think we are?

In the MAGA movement, you’re either a predator or a mark.

if you watched the RNC virtual convention last night, did you feel more positive about the future? After months living of fear of the virus, months of watching turmoil in our cities, with a front row seat to watch rioting and looting and destruction, Night One was a relief.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/08/24/rnc-tim-scott-race-trump-jr-biden-takeaways/5625481002/

mtierney said:

if you watched the RNC virtual convention last night, did you feel more positive about the future? After months living of fear of the virus, months of watching turmoil in our cities, with a front row seat to watch rioting and looting and destruction, Night One was a relief.

The speakers weren't very positive about anything, except their love of Trump.

And then there was this.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!