The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

GoSlugs said:

You do understand that no one here is reading your falung gong links, right?

Closed minds stay closed. Your loss, not mine.

What are the talking points against Biden for this, his response to Trump's offensive attack on Biden's faith?

"Like so many people, my faith has been the bedrock foundation of my life: it’s provided me comfort in moments of loss and tragedy, it’s kept me grounded and humbled in times of triumph and joy. And in this moment of darkness for our country — of pain, of division, and of sickness for so many Americans — my faith has been a guiding light for me and a constant reminder of the fundamental dignity and humanity that God has bestowed upon all of us.

"For President Trump to attack my faith is shameful. It’s beneath the office he holds and it’s beneath the dignity the American people so rightly expect and deserve from their leaders. However, like the words of so many other insecure bullies, President Trump’s comments reveal more about him than they do about anyone else. They show us a man willing to stoop to any low for political gain, and someone whose actions are completely at odds with the values and teachings that he professes to believe in.

"My faith teaches me to love my neighbor as I would myself, while President Trump only seeks to divide us. My faith teaches me to care for the least among us, while President Trump seems to only be concerned about his gilded friends. My faith teaches me to welcome the stranger, while President Trump tears families apart. My faith teaches me to walk humbly, while President Trump teargassed peaceful protestors so he could walk over to a church for a photo op.

"As I’ve said so many times before, we’re in the battle for the soul of our nation, and President Trump’s decision today to profane God and to smear my faith in a political attack is a stark reminder of what the stakes of this fight truly are."

https://medium.com/@JoeBiden/my-statement-on-faith-265fae90511d

How many Sundays has Trump spent on the golf course?

How many Sundays has Trump been to church?

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, back in Seattle....

mtierney said:

given your most recent response to me regarding the article I posted, I have to ask -- do you have even a scintilla of self-awareness?

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

given your most recent response to me regarding the article I posted, I have to ask -- do you have even a scintilla of self-awareness?

That was an excellent article.  Might be too long for some to read.

National and international news publications released dramatic photos that looked as though they could have been taken straight from the set of a post-apocalyptic film: A Fox News headline describing recent events stated, “Portland protesters flood police precinct, chant about burning it down.” The New York Post said that Portland protests “have no goal except violence and anarchy.” But, as local press noted at the time, this was not what things actually looked like on the ground.
In mid-July, The Oregonian published a counter to this narrative, running a photographic tour of the city to contrast the more sinister images circulating online. It showed that, by day, Portland is still largely calm; families walk the streets and peaceful protests have carried on without incident. But, by night, a different picture emerges. Tensions flare, almost like clockwork, between law enforcement and a small number of demonstrators. The problem is that, compared to the thousands of people gathering in a dozen or more locations around the city to protest, the focus on a violent few are taking away from the larger message. It also presents a skewed image of the city for those without a knowledge of Portland’s layout.

Fox and the like hammer the worst images.  And they repeatedly mentioned how protesters permanently blinded several federal officers.  Yet- I have seen no follow up on their condition.

jamie said:

Here's a little follow up on it: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/verify/verify-were-federal-agents-permanently-blinded-by-protestors/283-ef7d3a55-b853-42fb-a3ef-14c50154c1bb

Lasers blinded federal agents? I don't know about you guys, but my default is to not believe anything that Trump or his minions say anyway.

basil said:

jamie said:

Here's a little follow up on it: https://www.kgw.com/article/news/verify/verify-were-federal-agents-permanently-blinded-by-protestors/283-ef7d3a55-b853-42fb-a3ef-14c50154c1bb

Lasers blinded federal agents? I don't know about you guys, but my default is to not believe anything that Trump or his minions say anyway.

Permanently blinded federal agents was a big justification for their presence and the portrayal of the  peaceful protesters.

ETA - the image they used came from Chile:

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-lasers-portland-chile/fact-check-photo-does-not-show-protesters-using-green-lasers-to-blind-law-enforcement-in-portland-idUSKCN24W2I0

mtierney said:

I think your closed mind (and the closed minds of people like you) is a loss to our nation and our planet. 

GoSlugs said:

mtierney said:

I think your closed mind (and the closed minds of people like you) is a loss to our nation and our planet. 

Not just loss. They're damaging the nation and are destroying the Republic.

Its claimed that other countries or their people now pity us. Really?

You have a neighbor. The neighbor is environmentally irresponsible, harangues you, claims that he's exceptionally better, is so much more wonderful, knows everything better and tries to punish you or tries to get others to gang up on you when you don't satisfy his desires.

Would you pity him? I don't think so. I'm sure pity would not describe  how you would feel towards that neighbor.

drummerboy said:

did President d***head really say this today?

Hey remember this one?

Gee, how could anyone be so foolish as to believe he possibly said that?

I dunno. It's a mystery.

After all, the president had told her in the Oval Office that he aspired to have his image etched on the monument. And last year, a White House aide reached out to the governor’s office with a question, according to a Republican official  familiar with the conversation: What’s the process to add additional presidents to Mount Rushmore?

In private, the efforts to charm Mr. Trump were more pointed, according  to a person familiar with the episode: Ms. Noem greeted him with a four-foot replica of Mount Rushmore that included a fifth presidential likeness: his.

drummerboy said:

Gee, how could anyone be so foolish as to believe he possibly said that?

Hey, keep it up and you can become a little creepy, too!

question  

Why Christians support Trump...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/us/evangelicals-trump-christianity.html

(An earlier riser than I has already posted this link on another thread. )

Edited to add excerpt....

“Ultimately Mr. Trump recognized something, said Lisa Burg, a longtime resident of nearby Orange City. It is a reason she thinks people will still support him in November.

“The one group of people that people felt like they could dis and mock and put down had become the Christian. Just the middle-class, middle-American Christians,” Ms. Burg said. “That was the one group left that you could just totally put down and call deplorable. And he recognized that, You know what? Yeah, it’s OK that we have our set of values, too. I think people finally said, ‘Yes, we finally have somebody that’s willing to say we’re not bad, we need to have a voice too.’”

Explained Jason Mulder, who runs a small design company in Sioux Center: “I feel like on the coasts, in some of the cities and stuff, they look down on us in rural America. You know, we are a bunch of hicks, and don’t know anything. They don’t understand us the same way we don’t understand them. So we don’t want them telling us how to live our lives.”

He added: “You joke that we don’t get it, well, you don’t get it either. We are not speaking the same language.”

The speech in Sioux Center symbolized why there has been so much confusion about evangelical support for Mr. Trump. From the beginning, the outside world focused on the comment about shooting someone on Fifth Avenue. Those in the town, though, ultimately heard something else entirely. What mattered was not just what Mr. Trump said. It was where he said it. And to whom.

“And so to understand the relationship, one has to go back to Jan. 23, 2016. One has to hear the speech at Dordt the way the evangelical community heard it.“

That ways an interesting article.  There is definitely a disconnect on what the phrase “freedom of religion” means that’s for sure.

This defunds Medicare.

This defunds Social Security.

Tax collection is just deferred.

You’ll still owe these taxes next year.

Embed widget not working.

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1292250759724236800?s=20

mtierney said:

And there's a good discussion about the topic of that article, on that thread.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/subforum/don-t-call-yourself-a-christian-if-you-re-a-trumper/politics-plus 

mtierney said:

Edited to add excerpt....

“Ultimately Mr. Trump recognized something, said Lisa Burg, a longtime resident of nearby Orange City. It is a reason she thinks people will still support him in November.

“The one group of people that people felt like they could dis and mock and put down had become the Christian. Just the middle-class, middle-American Christians,” Ms. Burg said. “That was the one group left that you could just totally put down and call deplorable. And he recognized that, You know what? Yeah, it’s OK that we have our set of values, too. I think people finally said, ‘Yes, we finally have somebody that’s willing to say we’re not bad, we need to have a voice too.’”

They're not called "deplorable" because they're Christian.

They're called "deplorable" if they act that way, despite the fact that they profess to be Christian.

Just who are these people? Where do they live? Or are they the folks who are afraid to express their views because the liberal backlash is so uncompromising? But they will vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/business/media/fox-news-ratings.html

mtierney said:

Just who are these people? Where do they live? Or are they the folks who are afraid to express their views because the liberal backlash is so uncompromising? But they will vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/09/business/media/fox-news-ratings.html

More NYT innumerate idiocy.

It might be useful if they compared the Fox audience to the combined audience of CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Fox has no direct competition for their audience of morons. The non-Fox viewers are split across all of the other networks. It tells us next to nothing that Fox is the highest rated during that time slot.

drummerboy said:

More NYT innumerate idiocy.

It might be useful if they compared the Fox audience to the combined audience of CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. Fox has no direct competition for their audience of morons. The non-Fox viewers are split across all of the other networks. It tells us next to nothing that Fox is the highest rated during that time slot.

it is true that Fox News doesn't face any real competition for its type of news.  It's also true that a TV rating doesn't really tell you how many people watch a channel over the course of a week, a month or a quarter.  The ratings that are reported in the press are average minute ratings, which tells you only how many people are watching in any given minute.  These ratings were developed as currency in order for advertisers to have an estimate of how many people their commercials were reaching.

Two different programs or networks can have the same average minute rating and reach very different sized audiences.  One can have lots of people tuning in for short durations, and the other can have fewer people tuning in, but staying for longer periods of time.  Historically Fox News has been more of the latter, with a smaller (and much older) core audience watching for longer durations.  I don't know if that's true in 2020 however, but if I was going to put down money on a bet, I'd wager it's still true.

Trouble is, ratings don’t tell you who’s multitasking while the program is on: who’s really paying attention to everything, including the ads.  The big joke was always the biggest rush at ad time’ for washrooms, kettle time, laundry room visits etc. 

joanne said:

Trouble is, ratings don’t tell you who’s multitasking while the program is on: who’s really paying attention to everything, including the ads.  The big joke was always the biggest rush at ad time’ for washrooms, kettle time, laundry room visits etc. 

I'm coming up on my 30th anniversary in media research. And if there is one thing that I know to be true above all else -- TV advertising works. grin

joanne said:

They honestly don't have that here, because commercials breaks are so common and last forever.

he doesn't even cover it all

Take the little pirate flag out of the name and it should embed properly. 

ridski said:

They honestly don't have that here, because commercials breaks are so common and last forever.

Thank you - a point of difference in our programming, obviously, even though the complaints are the same. 
(our advertising industry is dissolving as print media disappeared earlier this year and TV is now following suit and shedding jobs and stations. )

My American wife still laughs about the Coronation Street Effect, apparently known as TV Pickup. TBH, i didn't know it existed anywhere else but the UK!

Cf the death of Molly in our famous soap... cheese

If you ever get the chance to see Gruen, I think you’ll enjoy the choice of subjects and the discussions. It’s a panel discussion program of how and why advertising and marketing exists and works/fails. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruen_(TV_series)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.