The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

DaveSchmidt said:

Try them.

These words are in my go to tool box. I recommend you give them a try yourself.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

Try them.

Those words are a great excuse for not learning anything from other people.

You’re right, mtierney. Consider the comment withdrawn.

mtierney said:

maybe you should go to the box and take them out. 

Today at the White House, Donald Trump is demonstrating again that he's a vindictive jerk who enjoys inflicting further injury on the grieving.

nohero said:

Today at the White House, Donald Trump is demonstrating again that he's a vindictive jerk who enjoys inflicting further injury on the grieving.

I guess he's only inviting the parents who think armed teachers would have prevented the attack.

I can’t believe the Oscar show was on last night whilst I was streaming! Didn’t have a clue until I saw a few comments online!

But, then again, I did miss this speech. Good grief!

https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/political-correctness-at-2020-oscars-exposes-hollywoods-hypocrisy/

mtierney said:

I can’t believe the Oscar show was on last night whilst I was streaming! Didn’t have a clue until I saw a few comments online!

https://nypost.com/2020/02/10/political-correctness-at-2020-oscars-exposes-hollywoods-hypocrisy/

What part are we supposed to find funny?

mtierney said:

I wish I could make a living as a lazy right wing hack pundit recycling the same columns that have been written about the Oscars since, basically forever. 

mtierney said:

A lot of confusion over the comments by President Obama at the Rose Garden press conference just after the Benghazi murders was raised at last night's debate. If what was said regarding "acts of terror" could have also referred to the Benghazi incident. -- quite a stretch in my view -- why in the world did the president and his team persist in repeating over and over that it was the video which triggered it?

The video story was discredited hours after the killings and subsequently by those investigating it in DC.

Thinking about it today, I have come to the conclusion that it must have been a very misguided attempt by the Obama campaign to downplay the event so close to Election Day.

Or, why did the president not point to his Rose Garden remarks weeks ago?

For some reason the updated system logged me out and kicked me back to the beginning of this thread when I clicked on it this morning.

Reading this first post, I am left to marvel at the mental and ethical gymnastics the OP has managed to pull off in the intervening years.  If moral hypocrisy was an Olympic sport, mtierney would get four tens and a 15 from the Russian judge.

I’d worry more about trump’s proposed budget: Medicare cut by $850 billion over ten years, Medicaid $270 billion and Social Security $30 billion. These cuts are being made despite his “promises “ to not touch these programs. 

I know that our own Susan Collins won’t comment. Worry about what some hack writer said about an Oscars speech. 

I hope trump’s head exploded when American Factory won an Oscar. 

Somewhere, Nixon is realizing that it would have been so easy to mess with the Watergate prosecutions and get in the clear.  

I seldom read jaw-dropping news stories these days, I have been shock-proofed by what’s going on in Washington. Stories such as Nohero’s post in which a man who was charged with gossip, was sentenced to nine years, the maximum sentence. The minimum sentence was 15 months. What was his crime?

Today I came across an article that gobsmacked me! 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.html

In France, EU leader, civilized nation, 2020 awareness, this long-time and highly regarded French author  is only now being questioned about his behavior and predilections. French presidents have defended him! What will be his sentence? A villa on the Italian coast?

mtierney said:

I seldom read jaw-dropping news stories these days, I have been shock-proofed by what’s going on in Washington. Stories such as Nohero’s post in which a man who was charged with gossip, was sentenced to nine years, the maximum sentence. The minimum sentence was 15 months. What was his crime?

Today I came across an article that gobsmacked me! 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/world/europe/gabriel-matzneff-pedophilia-france.html

In France, EU leader, civilized nation, 2020 awareness, this long-time and highly regarded French author  is only now being questioned about his behavior and predilections. French presidents have defended him! What will be his sentence? A villa on the Italian coast?

it's an outrage!  Priests are the only people whose pedophilia should be defended.  angry

mtierney said:

If a person is ignorant of what the conviction was for, it doesn't make sense to have an opinion against it. 

ml1 said:

it's an outrage!  Priests are the only people whose pedophilia should be defended. 
angry

Who are these people? Outside of France that is. I have never before heard a defense for pedophilia. I have never read a book written by an avowed pedophile. I do not deny that evil exists, in all walks of life, all nations, all religions. But I gotta say, France takes the cake!

mtierney said:

I think the public got gobsmacked with the meet up with Loretta Lynck at an Arizona Tarmac by WJC. Instead of speaking casually on the spot, in front of witnesses, the conversation took place privately within the plane. Lynch was there to attend a scheluded meeting; Clinton went to Arizona to play golf. Probably no one would have learned of the meeting if a local TV reporter hadn't gotten wind of it and broke the story.

This is how Madam and Mr President will work together in a duel presidency.

The FBI investigation and any decisions have been contaminated. Pretty neat trick!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/02/us/politics/loretta-lynch-hillary-clinton-email-server.html?ref=todayspaper

Nohero brought this up in another forum, and I commend him for his memory. Trumpicans, however, have forgotten how outraged they were that a former president may or may not have asked a sitting Attorney General to interfere in an investigation. Forgotten so much, apparently, that when our current president flat out states that he asked his AG to interfere in the sentencing of one of his old friends, they barely bat an eyelid, and post about French pedophiles instead.

"Gobsmacked" is the word used above."Contaminated" is another.

ETA: Above mtierney post is dated Jul 2, 2016 at 6:25am

Who amongst us is not linguistically challenged at times? Of course, my fantasy of a Clinton duo in the White House was just that, a fantasy. Or nightmare?

Another fantasy in the future: A brokered convention and Hillary steps up to take the nomination. Could happen if the Dems continue to in-fight over who they want to represent.

Gobsmacked, indeed!

mtierney said:

Who are these people? Outside of France that is. I have never before heard a defense for pedophilia. I have never read a book written by an avowed pedophile. I do not deny that evil exists, in all walks of life, all nations, all religions. But I gotta say, France takes the cake!

Your church covered up for pedophiles for decades. And they did so at some of the highest levels of the hierarchy. An example right here in NJ In fact. 

ml1 said:

mtierney said:

Your church covered up for pedophiles for decades. And they did so at some of the highest levels of the hierarchy. An example right here in NJ In fact. 

Republican Representative Jim Jordan covered up for a pedophile, too.

and Dennis Hastert WAS a pedophile

the NJ example for those with extremely short memories

Mr. McCarrick, now 88, was accused of sexually abusing three minors and harassing adult seminarians and priests. A New York Times investigation last summer detailed settlements paid to men who had complained of abuse when Mr. McCarrick was a bishop in New Jersey in the 1980s, and revealed that some church leaders had long known of the accusations.  
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/16/us/mccarrick-defrocked-vatican.html

Not to mention the President of the United States, allegedly.

Meanwhile, more retribution.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/trump-fires-defense-official-refusing-to-break-law-elaine-mccusker.html

"McCusker’s crime is quite literally having attempted to follow the law. Over the summer, the Office of Management and Budget was trying to hold up aid for Ukraine that Congress had passed into law, because it was trying to extort Ukraine to investigate Trump’s rivals. Defense Department officials, who were supposed to allocate the funds, attempted to implement the policy. Just Security obtained the email chain.

The emails show McCusker advising budget officials as to what the law said. She was not acting especially rigid about it. As Just Security’s summary notes, “The emails show officials bending over backwards to make every conceivable accommodation to keep the process moving without actually being able to obligate the funding.” One message shows McCusker writing to another official, “We need to continue to give the WH has [sic] much decision space as possible, but am concerned we have not officially documented the fact that we can not promise full execution at this point.” That is, she was trying to do everything in her power to give White House officials room to set the policy as they saw fit, without violating the law.

Importantly, the Government Accountability Office later examined the question, and found that McCusker was right. Holding up the aid was indeed illegal. (It’s not complicated: Congress passed a law providing the aid, so refusing to carry it out would obviously violate it.)"

mtierney said:

I have never before heard a defense for pedophilia. 

I take it that you don't read your own posts out loud?

ridski said:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/02/trump-fires-defense-official-refusing-to-break-law-elaine-mccusker.html

The lessons are obvious, if your'e not blind. Any official that does not pander to Trump, even when following the law, will be punished. They denigrate and push out the competent and the ethical. They welcome and reward the panderer.

Trump is creating a Kakistocracy. He may well have.

Who would have thought we would have allowed this?

A kakistocracy [kækɪ'stɑkrəsi] is a system of government that is run by the worst, least qualified, and/or most unscrupulous citizens

ridski said:

It was just a scant two weeks ago that the Republicans were having the vapors about the "head on a pike". thing.

They must be cowering in corners all over Washington these days.

Kamala Harris had Barr's number from the beginning.

Klinker said:

I was gobsmacked at the notion that mtierney was gobsmacked at the notion that there are people who defend pedophiles.

ml1 said:

Klinker said:

I was gobsmacked at the notion that mtierney was gobsmacked at the notion that there are people who defend pedophiles.

Nice obfuscation.   Real question:  why does France not address pedophilia in a serious manner?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.