The Rose Garden and White House happenings: Listening to voters’ concerns

joanne said:

It’s one of the t-shirt designs, that were on sale in August.

I don’t believe it was among them. These were the T-shirt designs (no deltas):

(The Slash Gear illustration mixed in some other badges, including the older Space Command logo.)

I do apologise. 

Firstly, I thought all designs had the 'vote now' labels. Secondly, my baby cataracts got in the way of the writing inside a couple of them. I've reset the font size and contrast on my screen. 

What's being said in the White House, today?  Just some jerk congratulating another jerk for trying to bully women. 

Meanwhile, back at the White House....

https://politi.co/38No01i

mtierney said:

Meanwhile, back at the White House....

https://politi.co/38No01i

Trump's "peace plan" gives the Palestinians a large enclosed area within Israel's borders, not a state. 

[Edited to add] This is the map Trump sent out to illustrate his plan. 

Witness material for the GOP...

EXCERPTS...

Things to Know About Hunter Biden, Joe Biden’s Younger Son Who Is Now Dating His Brother’s Widow

Diana PearlMarch 2, 2017

6 Things to Know About Hunter Biden, Joe Biden’s Younger Son Who Is Now Dating His Brother’s Widow

When it comes to former Vice President Joe Biden‘s children, the most recognizable name is that of Beau Biden — his elder son, who passed away from brain cancer in May 2015.

But now, it’s his younger son, Hunter Biden, in the spotlight. This week, Hunter confirmed that he’s dating Hallie Biden, the widow of his brother, Beau.

“Hallie and I are incredibly lucky to have found the love and support we have for each other in such a difficult time, and that’s been obvious to the people who love us most,” Hunter said in a statement to The New York Post’s Page Six column.We’ve been so lucky to have family and friends who have supported us every step of the way.”

Here are six things to know about the son of the former vice president — and one half of the country’s currently most-talked-about couple.

1. He survived the car crash that killed his mother and sister.

On December 18, 1972, 2-year-old Hunter was in the car along with his mother Neilia, and his brother Beau, then 4, and sister Naomi, 13 months, when their car was hit by a tractor-trailer in an intersection. The accident killed Neilia and Naomi, and left both Beau and Hunter severely injured: Beau with broken bones throughout his body and Hunter with a fractured skull. Both boys recovered completely after a long hospitalization.

2. He has an incredibly close relationship with his father — and had the same with his brother.

“Family comes first. Over everything,” Hunter said of the lessons his father taught him in an interview with Popular Mechanics. “I can’t think of anything that has been more pervasive and played a larger part in my life than that simple lesson. And as you said, he didn’t have to teach it by saying it. It was just in his actions. After we lost my mom and my sister in the accident that my brother and I were also in, he was ever-present. Commuted every day back from Washington.”

Hunter was also a political adviser to his later brother, Beau, who served as Delaware’s Attorney General from 2007 to 2015. Joe said that he too has leaned on his sons for advice and support throughout his political career.

“His brother never made a speech and I never made an important decision without consulting with the other two,” Joe told Popular Mechanics. “We’ve been a team. I know that sounds strange to say as a father. But it’s been one unit. Right to the very end.”

3. He was discharged from the Naval Reserve for drug use.

Hunter’s life, though, hasn’t been without more troubles. Unlike his brother Beau, he never formally enlisted in the armed forces (Beau served from 2002 to 2015, including a deployment to Iraq.) However, he was selected as a direct commission officer in the Naval Reserve, as a public affairs officer in May 2013, according to NBC News.

One month after he was officially commissioned, Hunter was discharged in February 2014 after testing positive for cocaine use. The discharge and the reason behind it were not made public until later that year, in October. When the discharge was announced, Hunter said in a statement that he was “embarrassed that my actions led to my administrative discharge” and called his brief stint in the reserves “the honor of my life,” according to the New York Times.

4. He’s a lawyer and an Ivy League graduate.

Hunter, who has worked as a lobbyist and in private equity in the past, earned his bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University, and then went on to graduate from Yale Law School. He’s still a member of the bar in Connecticut and Washington, D.C.

5. He was named in the Ashley Madison leak.

In August 2015, when the now-infamous leak of data from Ashley Madison — a dating website for people seeking extramarital affairs — occurred, Hunter’s name was among those listed as registered users. The listing also included an email address that he had previously used, but claimed that he had stopped using it after, he said, he was hacked. Ashley Madison does not verify users’ emails, so an account could be set up with someone’s name and email without them knowing, according to The Hill.

Hunter vehemently denied that the ever registered for the website.

“I am certain that the account in question is not mine,” Hunter said in a statement at the time. “This account was clearly set up by someone else without my knowledge and I first learned about the account in question from the media.”

6. He’s in the midst of an explosive divorce.

Hunter separated from his wife, Kathleen in 2015 and the couple filed for divorce late last year. The divorce proceedings carry some explosive allegations. In court documents obtained by PEOPLE, Kathleen alleges that Hunter has been “spending extravagantly on his own interests,” which, she says, include drugs, alcohol, strip clubs, gifts for other women and prostitutes.

The documents also state that the family has “shocking and overwhelming” debts including tax debt, maxed-out credit cards, and double mortgages on multiple properties.

Hunter’s attorney, Sarah E. Mancinelli, told PEOPLE in a statement: “Hunter and Kathleen have been separated for some time and are in the process of finalizing a divorce. Hunter loves and admires Kathleen as a person, a mother, and a friend. He hopes their privacy can be respected at this time.”

More recent concerns over Hunter’s financial issues...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/hunter-biden-lunden-roberts-child-support-court-papers

mtierney said:

Witness material for the GOP...

EXCERPTS...

Things to Know About Hunter Biden, Joe Biden’s Younger Son Who Is Now Dating His Brother’s Widow

Yesterday, Trump's lawyers actually argued that the testimony of Trump's former National Security Advisor would be irrelevant.

At the same time, Trump fans claim that garbage like that above is perfectly relevant for the Senate trial.

Ridiculous. 

This morning, the "I never liked John Bolton, nobody likes him" gambit - 

What is happening in Washington is sooo boring! Yesterday’s Q&A was by far the most annoying.

So, I present the following puzzle for MOL resident scholars to study and solve:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/01/29/climate/kryptos-sculpture-final-clue.html

Edited to add

https://www.downbeach.com/2020/01/29/trump-rally-in-wildwood-a-lovefest-for-van-drew-and-supporters/

I'm confused. Who am I supposed to hate now?

Ten years ago it was Al-Qaeda, then ISIS. Lately Iran is the menace, even though its forgotten that Iran helped us fight ISIS.

But now, I read,

But Pompeo set the Huawei decision in the starkest context by saying the US now regards the Chinese communist party as antithetical to US values and a bigger threat than terrorism.

So should it be China and/or its communist party or Iran?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jan/30/mike-pompeo-restates-us-opposition-to-huawei-access

BG9 said:

I'm confused. Who am I supposed to hate now?

Ten years ago it was Al-Qaeda, then ISIS. Lately Iran is the menace, even though its forgotten that Iran helped us fight ISIS.

But now, I read,

But Pompeo set the Huawei decision in the starkest context by saying the US now regards the Chinese communist party as antithetical to US values and a bigger threat than terrorism.

So should it be China and/or its communist party or Iran?

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jan/30/mike-pompeo-restates-us-opposition-to-huawei-access

Yet there’s that terribly important China trade deal that was signed so recently. So, do you love your trading partners or distrust them?

mtierney said:

Edited to add

https://www.downbeach.com/2020/01/29/trump-rally-in-wildwood-a-lovefest-for-van-drew-and-supporters/

From the article: "Media members were pointed out several times by Trump, who used his “fake news” designation for the press, causing jeers and catcalls to be directed at the several hundred media representatives covering the rally."

Trump really is a jerk.

nohero said:

mtierney said:

Edited to add

From the article: "Media members were pointed out several times by Trump, who used his “fake news” designation for the press, causing jeers and catcalls to be directed at the several hundred media representatives covering the rally."

Trump really is a jerk.

Shouldn’t that be grounds for a ‘bullying at work’ suit??

The lawyer I would want if I ever commit a capital offense would be Pat Cippoloni , one of the President’s  attorneys. He didn’t rant or rave, but was composed and responsive in his remarks. Now, learning he has 10 children, explains a lot!

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/pat-cipollone-family-wife-parents-children/

mtierney said:

The lawyer I would want if I ever commit a capital offense would be Pat Cippoloni , one of the President’s  attorneys. He didn’t rant or rave, but was composed and responsive in his remarks. Now, learning he has 10 children, explains a lot!

https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/pat-cipollone-family-wife-parents-children/

hmmm. interesting choice, since Bolton now says that Cippolone knew all about withholding Ukranian aid months ago.

So instead of an attorney, he should have been a witness!

You sure can pick 'em!

But yes, he was composed while he lied through his teeth. You have to give him that.

mtierney said:

The lawyer I would want if I ever commit a capital offense would be Pat Cippoloni 

So, you are saying he is good at defending people who actually did commit the crime of which they are accused?

Here’s a list of capital offenses mtierney dreams of committing so that Pat Cippolone can defend her.

https://deathpenalty.procon.org/federal-capital-offenses/

ridski said:

Here’s a list of capital offenses mtierney dreams of committing so that Pat Cippolone can defend her.

#7 gave me pause...

mtierney said:

ridski said:

#7 gave me pause...

All presidents going forward* will be able to do any of these things now without recourse. There are now no impeachable offenses. The power of the legislative branch has been defenestrated. 

*just kidding, this will be the last one until he passes it to Ivanka.

Of course there are many here who say that it’s always been so. Maybe they’re right, but yesterday brought that fact into sharp focus. The powers of the office of the President are now unlimited through legal precedent. Nothing a president does can be illegal anymore.

Libertarians are laughing their ***** off at liberals, because, well that’s what they always do, but I’m mostly just ******* disappointed in so-called conservatives who are willing to let President Crimes just keep rolling along so they can dismantle Roe v Wade.

Actually, an objective, non-partisan view of the events is vital for the losers and winners from this national debacle. 

The House Democrats should be embarrassed by the hasty and under wraps efforts made to put a rushed case forward before the holiday break. Exclusive, basement planning? Does this look proper from anyone’s perspective? 

Speaker Pelosi is a big loser here. A skilled, experienced politician lost her creds  when she gave in to the liberal left against her previously expressed opinion.

But, America’s image and the office of POTUS have been damaged in my view. Democracy got a going over as well. 

The state of our union is amazingly healthy despite three of years of mockery and attacks on all things Trump and the Trump family. There will be no worldwide peace until we find peace within our fractured country.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/01/31/yes-trumps-acquittal-is-real-and-its-spectacular/

You almost had me fooled until I saw what was being cited.  

mtierney said:

Actually, an objective, non-partisan view of the events is vital for the losers and winners from this national debacle. 

The House Democrats should be embarrassed by the hasty and under wraps efforts made to put a rushed case forward before the holiday break. Exclusive, basement planning? Does this look proper from anyone’s perspective? 

Speaker Pelosi is a big loser here. A skilled, experienced politician lost her creds  when she gave in to the liberal left against her previously expressed opinion.

But, America’s image and the office of POTUS have been damaged in my view. Democracy got a going over as well. 

The state of our union is amazingly healthy despite three of years of mockery and attacks on all things Trump and the Trump family. There will be no worldwide peace until we find peace within our fractured country.

https://thefederalist.com/2020/01/31/yes-trumps-acquittal-is-real-and-its-spectacular/

mtierney said:

Since the Senate refused to hear from witnesses with personal knowledge, in the trial on the indictment from the House, that's a misleading argument. 

nohero said:

Really? Such snobbery? Only reference to articles which reinforce your own POV are permitted. Stretch your mind. I read the ultra liberal NYT daily. I am still standing

nohero said:

Since the Senate refused to hear from witnesses with personal knowledge, in the trial on the indictment from the House, that's a misleading argument. 

The caveat in the House toward letting Republicans be called as witnesses was the exclusion of legal counsel. Who would walk into a bear cave without a really big stick?

mtierney said:

’Tis a pity. All that credibility she had built up with you and other objective observers, gone.

mtierney said:

nohero said:

Really? Such snobbery? Only reference to articles which reinforce your own POV are permitted. Stretch your mind. I read the ultra liberal NYT daily. I am still standing

Thanks for the gratuitous insult.  Knowing something about the point of view, the motivations, and the dishonesty of a quoted journal of opinion is not "snobbery".  "Oh, you know things?  What a snob!"

mtierney said:

nohero said:

The caveat in the House toward letting Republicans be called as witnesses was the exclusion of legal counsel. Who would walk into a bear cave without a really big stick?

What lying "news" source told you that?  If the Senate actually did call witnesses, the President's counsel would be able to question them both in the depositions and in any other testimony.  Not only that, they could call their own witnesses to dispute that testimony (if they could find anybody who would do that). 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.