Twitter is a Private Company

paulsurovell said:

ml1 said:

Smedley said:

I agree. And while there's been lots of chatter about it, as is protected by the 1st amendment, to my knowledge there has been no "interference" of any kind, from the "woke police" (whoever they are), or any other outside influence. 

So we can both take heart that the system is working as it should.

By the way, the woke police...they live inside of my head.

trying to shame or ridicule a person or institution on Twitter or in traditional media IMHO is interference. Especially nowadays, when all sorts of people take it upon themselves to go online and harass people they think are too "woke."  After all, wokeism is apparently one of the worst problems our country is facing according to some Twits.

The shaming takes place on both sides, but the canceling (censorship) is mostly from the "woke" side. 

that's pretty funny. Ask The Chicks or Colin Kaepernick about being "canceled."

For real. 

Or Kathy Griffin 

paulsurovell said:

No, this is what "wokeness" is all about:

No matter how many times I watch this he never mentions M&Ms, gas stoves, soy chai lattes, Nikes, public schools, the United States military, Star Trek Discovery, Girl Scouts, Colin Kaepernick, The Chicks, Target, NASCAR, Keurig, Gillette, American Airlines, the 2017 version of Beauty and the Beast, Campbell's soup, She Hulk: Attorney at Law, Rings of Power, House of the Dragon, the Willow TV series, Scooby-Doo, the Hallmark Channel, the 2016 version of Ghostbusters, Coca Cola and Pepsi? All of which have been accused of being woke, none of which pointed a finger to call out anyone, so what gives?

Michael Richards was "canceled" too. But I think he really earned it. He practically stood on stage yelling "Please END MY CAREER!!!"

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

No matter how many times I watch this he never mentions M&Ms, gas stoves, soy chai lattes, Nikes, public schools, the United States military, Star Trek Discovery, Girl Scouts, Colin Kaepernick, The Chicks, Target, NASCAR, Keurig, Gillette, American Airlines, the 2017 version of Beauty and the Beast, Campbell's soup, She Hulk: Attorney at Law, Rings of Power, House of the Dragon, the Willow TV series, Scooby-Doo, the Hallmark Channel, the 2016 version of Ghostbusters, Coca Cola and Pepsi? All of which have been accused of being woke, none of which pointed a finger to call out anyone, so what gives?

Scooby-Doo?

Ruh roh

ml1 said:

Scooby-Doo?

Ruh roh

THEY MADE VELMA A LESBIAN, ML1! A LESBIAN!

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

Stanford Harmful Language List Update
(assuming this hasn't been posted already):

https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/news/update-elimination-harmful-language-initiative-stanfords-it-community

Some might call that “canceling (censorship).”

Not me. How about you?

If you're talking about taking down the website/list, it's censorship by definition, but I don't think it's "canceling," which has connotations that go beyond censorship.

There is likely no First Amendment issue since Stanford is a private institution, unless Stanford was pressured to take down the website by a government official or agency (what happened in Twitter, as revealed in the Twitter Files).

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

ml1 said:

Smedley said:

I agree. And while there's been lots of chatter about it, as is protected by the 1st amendment, to my knowledge there has been no "interference" of any kind, from the "woke police" (whoever they are), or any other outside influence. 

trying to shame or ridicule a person or institution on Twitter or in traditional media IMHO is interference. Especially nowadays, when all sorts of people take it upon themselves to go online and harass people they think are too "woke."  After all, wokeism is apparently one of the worst problems our country is facing according to some Twits.

The shaming takes place on both sides, but the canceling (censorship) is mostly from the "woke" side. 

that's pretty funny. Ask The Chicks or Colin Kaepernick about being "canceled."

For real. 

Right, "mostly" from the woke side.

From the non-woke side, they just shoot you.

PVW said:

From the non-woke side, they just shoot you.

There's some truth to that.

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

Glad you watched it.

Thanks for reading my post.

paulsurovell said:

If you're talking about taking down the website/list, it's censorship by definition, but I don't think it's "canceling," which has connotations that go beyond censorship.

There is likely no First Amendment issue since Stanford is a private institution, unless Stanford was pressured to take down the website by a government official or agency (what happened in Twitter, as revealed in the Twitter Files).

Hilarious that you can say "as revealed in the Twitter files" with a straight face.

ridski said:

THEY MADE VELMA A LESBIAN, ML1! A LESBIAN!

wasn't she always?

cool cheese

paulsurovell said:

is there any more egregious example of "cancelation" in the U.S. than Colin Kaepernick? 

Most of the people supposedly "canceled" by the "woke" still have platforms and are still earning a living in their chosen field. 

I think the other side is sleeping on pillows from that guy…

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

is there any more egregious example of "cancelation" in the U.S. than Colin Kaepernick? 

Most of the people supposedly "canceled" by the "woke" still have platforms and are still earning a living in their chosen field. 

Kaepernick's cancelation was a Russian op. At least according to a Blue Anon conspiracy theory.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamala-harris-colin-kaepernick-controversy-didnt-start-until-russian-bots-started-taking-it-on
;t=25s

ml1 said:

paulsurovell said:

Paul's repeating the right-wing white guy grievance arguments, which don't rely on facts, just random anecdotes.

Not to mention, systemic racism is the ultimate "cancellation" of more people than Paul could ever find anecdotes about.

paulsurovell said:

Kaepernick's cancelation was a Russian op. At least according to a Blue Anon conspiracy theory.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamala-harris-colin-kaepernick-controversy-didnt-start-until-russian-bots-started-taking-it-on
;t=25s

Do you believe that bots controlled by Russia do not exist?

Probably not, because, you know, Russiahoax and all that.

paulsurovell said:

;t=25s

"Whatabout Kamala" is quite the "tell" about where Paul's arguments come from.

paulsurovell said:

Stanford Harmful Language List Update
(assuming this hasn't been posted already):

https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/news/update-elimination-harmful-language-initiative-stanfords-it-community

They refer to "feedback" showing them they "missed the intended mark".

That's a polite way of saying that dumbasses lied about what the list-makers were doing.

ml1 said:

Smedley said:

So if I responded to USC on Twitter and said something along the lines of "I think your word change is pretty dumb and an example of excessive wokeness", that would be interference?

You call a pretty tight game. If you were an NFL ref you'd throw a flag on the crowd for DPI.  

Smedley said:

ml1 said:

Smedley said:

So if I responded to USC on Twitter and said something along the lines of "I think your word change is pretty dumb and an example of excessive wokeness", that would be interference?

You call a pretty tight game. If you were an NFL ref you'd throw a flag on the crowd for DPI.  

I don't know what gave you that impression. 

People and organizations with massive followings highlighting these stories invite harassment of their targets. I'm not suggesting they don't have a right to do it. It just is what it is. 

One random dude tweeting at them isn't the same thing. 

Smedley said:

So if I responded to USC on Twitter and said something along the lines of "I think your word change is pretty dumb and an example of excessive wokeness", that would be interference?

If you don’t mean to interfere, why would you respond to USC on Twitter? Just need to get it off your chest?

DaveSchmidt said:

If you don’t mean to interfere, why would you respond to USC on Twitter? Just need to get it off your chest?

The Twitter can be very therapeutic that way. It's one of its best uses.

DaveSchmidt said:

Smedley said:

So if I responded to USC on Twitter and said something along the lines of "I think your word change is pretty dumb and an example of excessive wokeness", that would be interference?

I haven't done so, but if I were so inclined, perhaps that would be my motivation. USC has open Twitter profiles, they know how the platform works, and as an institution of higher learning, they should be willing to allow open discourse on their twitter, even if it's critical. And it looks like they do, from the quick look I just had. 

It seems you would find such a response objectionable. What do you find objectionable about it?  

Smedley said:

It seems you would find such a response objectionable. What do you find objectionable about it?

No objection at all. ”It seems” that interference would be a primary reason for tweeting at someone, so I asked.

BORING.

I'd much rather bash ol' Elon.

DaveSchmidt said:

Smedley said:

It seems you would find such a response objectionable. What do you find objectionable about it?

No objection at all. ”It seems” that interference would be a primary reason for tweeting at someone, so I asked.

Interfere is defined as: (1) to take part or intervene in an activity without invitation or necessity. (2) to prevent (a process or activity) from continuing or being carried out properly.

Examples of interference in this situation could be some far-right group suing USC, or CA Rep. Kevin McCarthy calling a hearing and/or publicly requesting that USC undo the word change. Something active like that.

I fail to see how tweeting at someone, even if you have a big following, is interference. 

Smedley said:

I fail to see how tweeting at someone, even if you have a big following, is interference. 

Noted.

Smedley said:

Interfere is defined as: (1) to take part or intervene in an activity without invitation or necessity. (2) to prevent (a process or activity) from continuing or being carried out properly.

Examples of interference in this situation could be some far-right group suing USC, or CA Rep. Kevin McCarthy calling a hearing and/or publicly requesting that USC undo the word change. Something active like that.

you seem to be a bit naive regarding the potential for harassment among some people's Twitter followings 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.