Twitter is a Private Company

drummerboy said:

paulsurovell said:

Sure, when one says they "expect" people to do something that's not at all the same as saying that people "should" do something. "Expect" does not imply "Should" in that context.

Got it?

to expect someone to do something in no way implies that that person should do it.

yes, not at all the same. not the same ballpark. or even the same sport for that matter.

I see more and more how you come to so many wrong conclusions.

Right.

"I expect MSNBC to ignore the fact that Lula gave Glenn Greenwald credit for helping to free him from prison (which made Lula's election possible) in its coverage of the current crisis."

. . . in no way implies that I think that MSNBC should ignore Glenn's crucial role in ending Lula's imprisonment on false charges making possible his election.

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

paulsurovell said:

Sure, when one says they "expect" people to do something that's not at all the same as saying that people "should" do something. "Expect" does not imply "Should" in that context.

Got it?

to expect someone to do something in no way implies that that person should do it.

yes, not at all the same. not the same ballpark. or even the same sport for that matter.

Right.

"I expect MSNBC to ignore the fact that Lula gave Glenn Greenwald credit for helping to free him from prison (which made Lula's election possible) in its coverage of the current crisis."

. . . in no way implies that I think that MSNBC should ignore Glenn's crucial role in ending Lula's imprisonment on false charges making possible his election.

That's a very good analogy, except if your audience has more than a passing familiarity with the meaning of words in the English language.

Smedley said:

And I clarified my position 2x yet you continue to harp on this and avoid questions pertaining to my original point.  

Irony is you complaining about someone else "harping" on a point in this thread. 

Speaking of Glenn Greenwald, this is like the Larry, Moe and Shemp of the Twitter - 

Greenwald assumes his audience is oblivious to information, such as testing and other Covid protocols in the entertainment industry.

Entertainment like this is reason enough to read the Twitter.

paulsurovell said:

Translation: "And join me (@nohero) who enjoys annoying random people (and people I stalk) by repeating inane and nonsensical arguments".

Every accusation is still a confession with you, isn't it?

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

drummerboy said:

paulsurovell said:

Got it?

Right.

That's a very good analogy, except if your audience has more than a passing familiarity with the meaning of words in the English language.

I expected that citing Glenn Greenwald's central role in saving Brazil's democracy would trigger a snarky reaction from democracy supporters who should know better.

nohero said:

Speaking of Glenn Greenwald, this is like the Larry, Moe and Shemp of the Twitter - 

Greenwald assumes his audience is oblivious to information, such as testing and other Covid protocols in the entertainment industry.

Jimmy says "Elon Musk" at some point in this bit, but it's unclear what follows. Can anyone clarify that?

When Mom told me she expected me to clean my room, somehow it always came across as something I should do, rather than a forecast.

paulsurovell said:

I expected that citing Glenn Greenwald's central role in saving Brazil's democracy would trigger a snarky reaction from democracy supporters who should know better.

No, it was the ridiculous “logic”. 

DaveSchmidt said:

When Mom told me she expected me to clean my room, somehow it always came across as something I should do, rather than a forecast.

my mom made me feel like I was committing a venial sin if I didn’t clean my room…

DaveSchmidt said:

yes. But your mom also wasn't trying to "win" an argument on the internet  cheese

nohero said:

just watched the Fallon video. I don't know why anyone would be upset by it. Is there any point that he's trying to make? It seems it's just silliness about the length of the name of the latest variant. 

It's not very funny. But it's also pretty pointless. 

ml1 said:

just watched the Fallon video. I don't know why anyone would be upset by it. Is there any point that he's trying to make? It seems it's just silliness about the length of the name of the latest variant. 

It's not very funny. But it's also pretty pointless. 

It doesn't matter.  It was about Covid-19, and so the usual suspects are outraged!

Whether there's a point to the outrage is irrelevant.

paulsurovell said:

Jimmy says "Elon Musk" at some point in this bit, but it's unclear what follows. Can anyone clarify that?

He said "Elon Musk is a big poopyhead", because Sbenois is one of his top writers.

DaveSchmidt said:

. . . like Smedley was doing.

nohero said:

For @nohero and his tribe, nothing positive can be said about Glenn Greenwald, not even about his crucial role in saving democracy in Brazil, the current epicenter of democracy-under-attack. The same cancel-mentality that prohibits anything positive to be said about Elon Musk, not even his crucial role in the fight against climate change, an existential threat to humanity.

What I expected from you (not what you should do).

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

For @nohero and his tribe, nothing positive can be said about Glenn Greenwald, not even about his crucial role in saving democracy in Brazil, the current epicenter of democracy-under-attack. The same cancel-mentality that prohibits anything positive to be said about Elon Musk, not even his crucial role in the fight against climate change, an existential threat to humanity.

Considering what's happening in Brazil, GG's efforts to save democracy seem to have fallen short.

As for the rest of your post - dumb. What does the selling of EV's have to do with Musk's awful stupidity running Twitter? Are we supposed to ignore his current behavior because he wanted to get rich selling EV's?

Or did you think his motivation was to save the world from climate change?

I'm not sure what Glenn Greenwald has to do with Elon Musk's twitter, but Elon Musk's twitter doesn't seem to be doing much good for Brazil.

From the Washington Post:

Billionaire Elon Musk, who completed his acquisition of Twitter in late October, fired the company’s entire staff in Brazil except for a few salespeople, said a person familiar with the firings who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive matters. Among those fired in early November included eight people, based in São Paulo, who moderated content on the platform to catch posts that broke its rules against incitement to violence and misinformation, the person said. The person said they were not aware of any teams actively moderating rule-breaking content on Twitter in Brazil.

Also, update on what, to me as a non-twitter user, is the bigger story with Musk's purchase, his battle against workers:

A group of laid off Twitter employees finally got paltry severance agreements. Now they must decide whether to sign, or pursue legal action against Elon Musk's company. (Business Insider)

paulsurovell said:

. . . like Smedley was doing.

totally 

PVW said:

I'm not sure what Glenn Greenwald has to do with Elon Musk's twitter, but Elon Musk's twitter doesn't seem to be doing much good for Brazil.

From the Washington Post:

Billionaire Elon Musk, who completed his acquisition of Twitter in late October, fired the company’s entire staff in Brazil except for a few salespeople, said a person familiar with the firings who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe sensitive matters. Among those fired in early November included eight people, based in São Paulo, who moderated content on the platform to catch posts that broke its rules against incitement to violence and misinformation, the person said. The person said they were not aware of any teams actively moderating rule-breaking content on Twitter in Brazil.

See what I mean, I make a point about Elon Musk's enormous contributions to the fight against climate change, and you feel compelled to "rebut," so you divert to Twitter.

drummerboy said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

Considering what's happening in Brazil, GG's efforts to save democracy seem to have fallen short.

As for the rest of your post - dumb. What does the selling of EV's have to do with Musk's awful stupidity running Twitter? Are we supposed to ignore his current behavior because he wanted to get rich selling EV's?

I guess you don't know that if not for Glenn Greenwald's courageous efforts, Lula would still be in prison on false charges, which is how Bolsonaro was elected in the last election.

The "rest of the post" shows the similarity between Elon-haters and Glenn-haters, most of whom claim to be concerned about climate change, but they can't give Elon credit for his enormous contributions, and also claim to be concerned about democracy, but they can't give Glenn credit for his enormous contributions (Snowden as well as Lula).

Elon is motivated to fight climate change. Was that his only motivation to build a company that produces electric cars, sem-trucks, vans and buses (in the pipeline) and solar panels (residential and industrial) and solar batteries (residential and industrial)? Probably not, but why do you care?

By the way, Glenn's role in freeing Lula not only had a huge impact on democracy, but will have a huge impact on climate change. Under Lula there's a good chance that the destruction of the rainforest enabled by Bolsonaro will be halted.

paulsurovell said:

See what I mean, I make a point about Elon Musk's enormous contributions to the fight against climate change, and you feel compelled to "rebut," so you divert to Twitter.

It’s all teed up, folks. Anyone?

drummerboy said:

paulsurovell said:

nohero said:

I guess you don't know that if not for Glenn Greenwald's courageous efforts, Lula would still be in prison on false charges, which is how Bolsonaro was elected in the last election.

The "rest of the post" shows the similarity between Elon-haters and Glenn-haters, most of whom claim to be concerned about climate change, but they can't give Elon credit for his enormous contributions, and also claim to be concerned about democracy, but they can't give Glenn credit for his enormous contributions (Snowden as well as Lula).

Elon is motivated to fight climate change. Was that his only motivation to build a company that produces electric cars, sem-trucks, vans and buses (in the pipeline) and solar panels (residential and industrial) and solar batteries (residential and industrial)? Probably not, but why do you care?

By the way, Glenn's role in freeing Lula not only had a huge impact on democracy, but will have a huge impact on climate change. Under Lula there's a good chance that the destruction of the rainforest enabled by Bolsonaro will be halted.

PVW said:

Also, update on what, to me as a non-twitter user, is the bigger story with Musk's purchase, his battle against workers:

A group of laid off Twitter employees finally got paltry severance agreements. Now they must decide whether to sign, or pursue legal action against Elon Musk's company. (Business Insider)

As a Twitter user I've noticed some improvements, some available to all, some available to subscribers, and no downsides. And the laid-off workers don't seem to be making a claim that Twitter has been diminished because of their layoffs.

With regard to the article's premise (and I assume yours as well) that Musk is screwing the laid-off workers with a lousy severance package, here's the relevant part of the article you linked:

As for the separation agreements, they appear to be mostly boilerplate,
offering one month of pay to laid off employees as severance. On
November 4, Musk tweeted
that "everyone exited" was offered 3 months of severance, saying that
was 50% more than legally required. The tech billionaire may have been
conflating periods of "non-working" employment that later saw thousands
of workers continue to be paid since November, while they waited for
severance. State labor laws require companies to give certain notice
periods for mass layoffs.

There's not much in the article that says what more a lawsuit would demand, so I don't know whether I'd take the package or take my chances with a lawsuit.

DaveSchmidt said:

paulsurovell said:

It’s all teed up, folks. Anyone?

No, please, after you Sir. 

paulsurovell said:

You got me. On a thread about twitter, I "diverted" to twitter. I plead no contest.

paulsurovell said:

I didn't comment about what President Lula said about what Greenwald did. I didn't even comment about your claim about what you claim Greenwald did. I commented on a pageant on the Twitter where some guys who think a lot of themselves are attacking anyone who suggests that we should take measures to protect against the spread of Covid.

I don't think I have to repeat why I have such a low opinion of people who do that.

paulsurovell said:

As a Twitter user I've noticed some improvements, some available to all, some available to subscribers, and no downsides. And the laid-off workers don't seem to be making a claim that Twitter has been diminished because of their layoffs.

As for the workers claims, it's a case about their employment agreement, so there's nothing relevant in your perception that "the laid-off workers don't seem to be making a claim that Twitter has been diminished because of their layoffs". That wouldn't be part of the case.

As for the "improvements" - what are they?

Please note that I am not diverting since sir, this is a Twitter thread.

nohero said:

paulsurovell said:

As for the workers claims, it's a case about their employment agreement, so there's nothing relevant in your perception that "the laid-off workers don't seem to be making a claim that Twitter has been diminished because of their layoffs". That wouldn't be part of the case.

As for the "improvements" - what are they?

Please note that I am not diverting since sir, this is a Twitter thread.

I'd love to know what's "improved" as I've noticed no difference at all. Well, apart from the sudden appearance and disappearance of someone called Andrew Tate.

nohero said:

Smedley said:

I readily admit this is a trivial discussion and your Twitter usage is not material to the company's performance. This discussion could have easily ended after like 3 posts maybe with a "yeah whatever, I guess I'm funding Elon's yacht lol" or something similarly commensurate with the triviality of my first post. It only continued because I felt I had to engage with the usual MOL hellfire, ie IT'S NOT IRONIC WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU HAVE THREE HEADS etc etc.  

If you enjoy annoying random people by repeating inane and nonsensical arguments, you should consider spending more time on the Twitter. 

Clever editing in removing my clear-as-day explanation of how you support Twitter and by extension Twitter CEO Elon Musk. If that really is "nonsensical" to you, then as the great drummerboy would say: I can't help you.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!