The September 29th Debate

FilmCarp said:

STANV said:

Should the second "debate" cancelled? Should Biden insist on stricter rules? Should the moderators be more forceful?

How do you enforce a debate rule if one of the participants is a tantrum throwing baby?  You can't mute him, because then he gets to claim censorship and "it's rigged".  

They should have the mics always be on mute and they only turn on during the allotted speaking time. I'm glad at least for social distancing so we didn't have to watch him doing his creepy looming thing.

Mute buttons are for teachers remote teaching 10 year olds, not for the president of the US. If we cannot rely on our president to follow the rules or be decent and presidential, then he probably should not be president. So in a painful way the US voters did actually learn something last night. That part I am OK with.

The part that I am not OK with is that he apparently decided that he would rather trigger violence and civil unrest / war than to lose the election. I am sure this is because he realizes that when he leaves the WH he will most likely face jail time. He is the opposite of a patriot.

Biden has already committed today that he will attend the next 2 Presidential debates. He and his handlers seem to believe that Biden gains by allowing Trump to continue to make an *** of himself.  The next debate is a town hall format, so if Trump attacks ordinary citizens for their tough questions, that would be a plus for Biden.

The CPD has already indicated that "additional structure" will be imposed, presumably muting mics.

As painful as last night was, I think it's a good idea for Biden to continue. I'll admit that I didn't have that opinion last night at the end.

jimmurphy said:

Biden has already committed today that he will attend the next 2 Presidential debates. He and his handlers seem to believe that Biden gains by allowing Trump to continue to make an *** of himself.  The next debate is a town hall format, so if Trump attacks ordinary citizens for their tough questions, that would be a plus for Biden.

The CPD has already indicated that "additional structure" will be imposed, presumably muting mics.

As painful as last night was, I think it's a good idea for Biden to continue. I'll admit that I didn't have that opinion last night at the end.

You are probably right. I just can't stand listening to trump anymore. Plus every time I hear him I end up donating to Biden and Senate races, so he is going to bankrupt me.

Plus, the next debate is town hall style, with questions from undecided voters. That should work better for biden, because he actually has the ability to care for people other than himself.

jimmurphy said:

The campaigns would never agree to muting. And as Chris Wallace noted today:

“As a practical matter, even if the president’s microphone had been shut, he still could have continued to interrupt, and it might well have been picked up on Biden’s microphone, and it still would have disrupted the proceedings in the hall.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/business/media/chris-wallace-debate-moderator.html 

jamie asked: "Wonder what that side is saying."

On the (AM) radio last night here in Milwaukee, they were asking for one-word responses.  The only apparent Trump backer i heard said "Satisfied" and explained that the media have been unfair to T, and T got back on them in the debate.  Really??

DaveSchmidt said:

jimmurphy said:

“As a practical matter, even if the president’s microphone had been shut, he still could have continued to interrupt, and it might well have been picked up on Biden’s microphone, and it still would have disrupted the proceedings in the hall.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/business/media/chris-wallace-debate-moderator.html 

The debate was what it was because Trump is who he is.

mjc said:

jamie asked: "Wonder what that side is saying."

On the (AM) radio last night here in Milwaukee, they were asking for one-word responses.  The only apparent Trump backer i heard said "Satisfied" and explained that the media have been unfair to T, and T got back on them in the debate.  Really??

Yeah, he really stuck it to the media. Especially when he told right wing extremists to go **** up the election, and to start civic unrest / war if the election doesn't go his way. That should teach these journalists! 

A little humor as a result of last night's debate - 

I’d like the next debate to be held as an online meeting.  The moderator could mute participants who refused to  bide by the rules and Trump would not be able to interrupt. 

Sweetsnuggles said:

I’d like the next debate to be held as an online meeting.  The moderator could mute participants who refused to  bide by the rules and Trump would not be able to interrupt. 

He could set his Zoom background as thousands of cheering fans.

DaveSchmidt said:

Won’t pretend to have a solution, although I do note the qualifier that it “might” have been picked up. I’d like to think that technology is better than this.

Shame that this even needs to be a consideration.

Can we have a woman who has been at home with her kids since March, be the moderator? 

mrincredible said:

He could set his Zoom background as thousands of cheering fans.

fake news.  it's millions of cheering fans. the greatest crowd anyone has seen.  people are saying it's great, fantastic, the biggest crowd they've ever seen.

Trump got debate prep from Chris Christie and Rudy Giuliani. I find it remarkable that, out of all the people available to him, he picked those two. But come to think of it, he did come across as a combination of the. two (Christie: bully, angry; Rudy: lost complete contact with any form a reality about a decade ago).

They did not serve him well. Let's hope they prep him for debate 2 & 3 as well.

PVW said:

They should have the mics always be on mute and they only turn on during the allotted speaking time. I'm glad at least for social distancing so we didn't have to watch him doing his creepy looming thing.

Thank you for that answer. Additionally the camera should show only the person speaking. I do not need to see the other person smirking or shaking his head or making faces.

Of course, the Commission is not going to take advice from you or I.

Changing the rules to try to account for Trump's infantile behavior is idiotic.

The current rule he's breaking is "be quiet while the other guy is speaking".

I mean, are you kidding me? We have to make special allowances for that?

And what makes you think he'd follow any other rule? If they turned off his mike, he'd still rant and rave so that Biden would hear him and he'd probably bleed into Biden's mike anyway.

He could give a sh!t about the debate - he's trying to destroy the whole concept of a debate, just like he tries to destroy every other institution he can lay his hands on.

drummerboy said:

He could give a sh!t about the debate - he's trying to destroy the whole concept of a debate, just like he tries to destroy every other institution he can lay his hands on.

Have you noticed how unusually small his hands looked?

What really is so nasty about Trump’s behavior in the debate. Going after Biden is fair game, but deliberately going after  his disability is just vile. Trump constantly interrupting, bullying, insulting Biden’s sons, was all orchestrated by Giuliani and Christie with Trump, to get Biden riled up and would start stuttering. 
that is what is so vile about this man. 

Jaytee said:

What really is so nasty about Trump’s behavior in the debate. Going after Biden is fair game, but deliberately going after  his disability is just vile. Trump constantly interrupting, bullying, insulting Biden’s sons, was all orchestrated by Giuliani and Christie with Trump, to get Biden riled up and would start stuttering. 
that is what is so vile about this man. 

And about his supporters. Trump already made fun of a disabled reporter back in 2016. And about women, immigrants, soldiers. We al knew his (lack of) character already.

what a scumbag

drummerboy said:

what a scumbag

Don’t get mad, get even. Vote, and donate time or money. And we need the Senate too: https://swingleft.org/p/senate?gclid=CjwKCAjwq_D7BRADEiwAVMDdHvdBPW86odba1glesM448LUqScPdBci7Le9teRDy_e4-FXPDps1wBRoCmuEQAvD_BwE

is anyone here not getting 10 emails a day asking for money?

drummerboy said:

what a scumbag

Christie has officially denied this.

drummerboy said:

getting 10 emails and a lot of false emails, i.e. saying MSNBC's ratings are plummeting and I even got one saying Biden is behind in the polls. 

drummerboy said:

Not me.

I very rarely give out my email address. Why should I? What exciting things will they be sending me? The really want it so they can beg you forever. News I can get from reliable news outlets.

For the very, very few times I do give it out when I want some kind of reply I use as new throw away alias address.

I get a bunch every day.  So what.  I gave my donations, I can't give anymore so I just delete the emails.  What's the big deal?

drummerboy said:

drummerboy said:

what a scumbag

Christie has officially denied this.

Was he working the cones at the time?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.