Cancel Culture

ml1 said:

hoops said:

Kapaernick was not “cancelled” he was blackballed.  A much more descriptive explanation of why he was not signed to play elsewhere.  All NFL owners colluded either directly or by association to not sign a player who would be an asset in the football field. 

Whatever cancel culture is, it’s not a real thing.  

the Jets could still use a QB as skilled as Kaepernick. 

Didn't Kaepernick sue the NFL? It should have been a slam dunk for him - what happened? Did he settle?

drummerboy said:

Didn't Kaepernick sue the NFL? It should have been a slam dunk for him - what happened? Did he settle?

Less than $10M, split with Eric Reid.

What's kind of funny about the Dr. Seuss kerfuffle is that conservatives were never very much fans of the very liberal Dr. Seuss.

drummerboy said:

What's kind of funny about the Dr. Seuss kerfuffle is that conservatives were never very much fans of the very liberal Dr. Seuss.

but then they discovered the racism, and there you are. 

I made it through 37 seconds of this before my ears started bleeding

and the NYT actually published a complete waste of space column by Ross Douthat on that topic.  I know he's one of their conservative quota hires, and I shouldn't expect much, but even for him the Seuss column was painfully stupid.  So a private publishing company decides it no longer wants to publish racist imagery in a few of its books, and Douthat concludes that liberals want to ban books.  Jeebus, the so-called paper of record posts an awful lot of columns that pollute the dialogue in this country and actually serve to make polarization worse.

Do Liberals Care if Books Disappear?

This week I learned from a different kind of liberalism that only easily triggered rubes care when offensive books are made to disappear. It was mildly creepy to hear that the custodians of Theodor Geisel’s estate, Dr. Seuss Enterprises, consulted with a “panel of experts” and decided to cease publishing six Seuss titles because they “portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong.” But it was much creepier that so few people notionally in the free-expression business, so few liberal journalists and critics, seemed troubled by the move.

yes, liberals didn't leap in to insist that Seuss's estate be forced to continue publishing this books.  Wouldn't compelling the publishing of books be an infringement on free speech?

yeah, I don't expect much from Douthat, but this column was pretty bad.

While the Right was distracted by this and similar nonsense Joe Biden and the Dems passed a 1.9 Trillion relief package.   smile

apparently the wingnuts were upset because they thought some SJWs had shrunken Lola Bunny's breasts.

It turns out....

(ETA: it turns out the latest Space Jam movie does de-sexualize her a bit, but she never looked like the photo below.)

I'm dying to sink my claws into a good political topic but I must not be angry at very much. Could this be Biden mellowness syndrome?

For some reason, I avoided streaming The Crown until recently. To my surprise, it has me hooked. I watched the Oprah interview. The comparison of Meghan to Princess Diana doesn’t work — Diana was 20 years old when she wed the Prince, who already had another crumpet on the side. Meghan was in her mid-30s, divorced, with a career. She mostly certainly would have known about the tragic Princess Di tale. She may have assumed, incorrectly, that decades later, the monarchy had also changed.

Sitting in beautiful Santa Barbara, near where their home is, wearing a $4,700 maternity dress, with an son, and a daughter on the way,I have to wonder why she is not ecstatic. 

Harry said he had inherited $15M from his mother. The couple have several business ventures underway. Both insist that they are concerned mostly with the loss of security and protection provided royals. Security loss was referred to a number of times during the interview.  They have the means to provide it for themselves — as most celebrities, etc do.

The other “issue” —   that Archie is not getting the title of Prince — rings false since the parents walked away from the whole royalty nightmare.  Some might suggest the title opens up many financial opportunities.

Full disclosure: I have loved princes and princesses, and fairy tale kingdoms, since childhood.

Forward to 4.43.

I stopped watching Downton Abbey after the first season or so. Did the servants ever get around to burning the castle down and apportioning out the land among themselves?

PVW said:

I stopped watching Downton Abbey after the first season or so. Did the servants ever get around to burning the castle down and apportioning out the land among themselves?

I have to admit, I did watch their wedding. It was very sweet, I thought.

Beyond that? Meh? She's being treated horrendously by the firm, but we all knew that was going to happen. The firm is a terrible thing.

Morganna said:

I'm dying to sink my claws into a good political topic but I must not be angry at very much. Could this be Biden mellowness syndrome?

You asked for a political discussion and what followed was a discussion of Monarchy. I doubt that that is what you were looking for.

nohero said:

This fellow "self-cancelled" today.

Piers Morgan Quits 'Good Morning Britain' Following Meghan Markle Comments

In the Duden Wörter­buch Illustriert, the illustration for Backpfeifengesicht, is Piers Morgan.

ridski said:

nohero said:

This fellow "self-cancelled" today.

Piers Morgan Quits 'Good Morning Britain' Following Meghan Markle Comments

In the Duden Wörter­buch Illustriert, the illustration for Backpfeifengesicht, is Piers Morgan.

Only because they're not as aware of Ted Cruz.

Backpfeifengesicht

Best. Word. Ever.

nohero said:

Only because they're not as aware of Ted Cruz.

Morgan was Backpfeifengesicht looooong before Ted Cruz even had a nose.

mtierney said:

This..

... isn’t any good.

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

This..

... isn’t any good.

When humor “isn’t any good” our culture will cancel itself.

mtierney said:

DaveSchmidt said:

mtierney said:

This..

... isn’t any good.

then why do you keep sharing such "humor"?

oh look. a conservative cartoonist is lying again.

mtierney said:

Tell that to Plato.

The meme isn’t any good because (a) threats to Meghan’s life are a real security concern, (b) she didn’t b**** about her mother-in-law and (c) Elizabeth won’t find her in a country where the cars are righthand drive.

DaveSchmidt said:

... and (c) Elizabeth won’t find her in a country where the cars are righthand drive.

It's those little details that they always slip up on. 

I still find it bizarre to see Americans rushing to defend the monarchy. After all the breathless warnings that "cancel culture" would be going after Washington, looks like it's the Republican Cancel Warriors themselves spurning his legacy.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.