America: The Farewell Tour

History of Neoliberalism, Part 2

Has anyone been following the Yellow Vest protests in France?  These are major actions against neoliberal policies that affect the poor disproportionate. These are the kind of protests that Hedges is referencing when he says people need to take to the streets. I'm guessing we will eventually have this level of protest here, when things get a bit worse. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46434707?fbclid=IwAR3zfOV8aPkTvhp8pcJyYbRvdKsTmUQuxidMq3ScNFMlNVRASGX1-6CBCtM

So, Hedges can gloat whenever someone takes the streets?  lol  Lucky him!  That's one way to stay relevant.  

jamie said:
So, Hedges can gloat whenever someone takes the streets?  lol  Lucky him!  That's one way to stay relevant.  

I don't speak for Hedges, but if you listened to his "America: The Farewell Tour" speech at the beginning of this thread, you would not imagine him gloating. These protests are happening in France, not the US, but Hedges has said that given the corruption of both major US parties, significant change through voting will not be possible.  He said people would need to take to the streets to combat the austerity of neoliberalism and I think the protests in France are doing exactly that.  It will be interesting to see the outcome of those.  We should watch closely. 

nan said:
 I don't speak for Hedges, but if you listened to his "America: The Farewell Tour" speech at the beginning of this thread, you would not imagine him gloating. These protests are happening in France, not the US, but Hedges has said that given the corruption of both major US parties, significant change through voting will not be possible.  He said people would need to take to the streets to combat the austerity of neoliberalism and I think the protests in France are doing exactly that.  It will be interesting to see the outcome of those.  We should watch closely. 

In light of recent events, I'm just curious: any re-think on this from Hedges, or anyone who touts his views?

The recent legislative efforts to roll back reproductive rights have been facilitated by (a) electoral victories in the states, and (b) changes in the make-up of the United States Supreme Court, as a result of the election of Donald Trump.

While the "progressive" prescription seems to be that "significant change through voting will not be possible", the people with the anti-reproductive-rights agenda didn't get the memo.  Unless more people with the opposing view take elections more seriously, the trend against reproductive rights will continue.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.