Stealing an election in broad daylight

mrincredible said:

I have had Brad Heaths twitter page open on my phone browser for about a month now. He does frequent updates and I feel like he does a good job explaining all of these legal maneuverings pretty well.

is that @bradheath?

drummerboy said:

is that @bradheath?

That's the guy.

what's been interesting is how in the last couple of weeks he's started peppering his tweets with words like "steaming pile of misinformation" and "bullsh*t" to describe some of the legal claims. He's ordinarily a pretty even keel guy, who has a subtle sense of humor. I think he's lost his patience. 

I'm trying to imagine what happens after Jan 20th. A significant portion of the Republican base will continue on this path. It will be very pronounced in the House where, being in the minority, all the incentives for Republicans will be on maximum opposition. I don't know what happens in the Senate. If Democrats take both Georgia seats, I think most Republican senators act like they're in the House, but with Schumer controlling the floor work still gets done and Manchin, Collins, and Murkowski become the center of gravity. If McConnell retains control (which I think is the most likely outcome), how far does he go in attempting to destroy the country to damage Biden? Will there be any confirmation hearings, for any position, at all? Will any bills ever pass, or even get a vote?

The answer to anti-democratic challenges is more democracy -- the electorate has to vote those attacking democracy out of power, and keep on voting them out. With Trump off the ballot, will voters understand the stakes in 2022, 2024?

If you thought the attempt to block Obama was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. It will be four years of hearing how "Kommie" will destroy the country. 

eta - Even if the Democrats gain control of the Senate, there's going to be a lot of talk on right wing media about how "Kommie" will destroy the country. That's what the Republicans are gearing up for.  

cramer said:

If you thought the attempt to block Obama was bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. It will be four years of hearing how "Kommie" will destroy the country. 

eta - Even if the Democrats gain control of the Senate, there's going to be a lot of talk on right wing media about how "Kommie" will destroy the country. That's what the Republicans are gearing up for.  

Democratic control of the Senate moves total Republican opposition from "highly likely" to "guaranteed," as there will be no ameliorating pressure to actually govern. That's why the House will be especially ridiculous. But I'm worried that even if Republicans keep the Senate, it'll still be the same result. Forget debates about M4A or the Green New Deal, I'm worried we won't be able to do basic stuff like get financial relief to people and businesses affected by COVID, have a staffed executive branch, have functioning federal courts, etc. To the extent anything functions at all it'll be almost entirely on the basis of creative uses of executive orders which, while a pragmatic necessity, further undermine legitimate constitutional governance.

The only way this gets resolved is for the GOP to consistently lose elections so that they feel pressure to change, but as cynical and appalling as McConnell's strategy is, I'm afraid it could be pretty effective.

How long do we have to wait for the SC to reject the Texas lawsuit?

jamie said:

Besides being rejected they should discipline those who brought them this ridiculous, very frivolous, lawsuit.

I knew a lawyer who had a framed certificate behind his desk stating he was admitted to the SC bar. I asked him and he told it was a great privilege to be admitted, not easily granted.

To bring this kind of suit and expect it be be taken seriously is a mocking of the court. Their SC bar memberships should be rescinded. 

New California and New Nevada have asked to join the case now.

20201211114620451_Amicus 2020-12-11.pdf (supremecourt.gov)

The case is turning into a Mos Eisley Cantina full of litigants.

nohero said:

New California and New Nevada have asked to join the case now.

20201211114620451_Amicus 2020-12-11.pdf (supremecourt.gov)

The case is turning into a Mos Eisley Cantina full of litigants.

Next will be New New Jersey and New New York. 

what the fangdoodle is a New California?

The 2020 Census will determine the number of Representatives allocated to each State. If New Jersey losses seats as a result and if the pending Texas suit is not dismissed outright then NJ should sue Texas under the second sentence of Section 2 of the 14th Amendment.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendment/amendment-xiv#:~:text=No%20State%20shall%20make%20or,equal%20protection%20of%20the%20laws.

cramer said:

This is Pa's. full response: 

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/22/22O155/163367/20201210142206254_Pennsylvania%20Opp%20to%20Bill%20of%20Complaint%20v.FINAL.pdf

Responses were due by 3 p.m. today. 

I read it. It i amazing how the can put something like that together in such a short period of time. Even with a very large staff it must have been a monumental task.

Go Steelers! 

And a double YES! I've seen Josh Shapiro, the Pa. A.G. on tv a few times, and he's really solid. 

jamie said:

Not long.  

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday rejected an audacious lawsuit by Texas that had asked the court to throw out the presidential election results in four battleground states captured by President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr.

The court, in a brief unsigned order, said Texas lacked standing to pursue the case, saying it “has not demonstrated a judicially cognizable interest in the manner in which another state conducts its elections.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/us/politics/supreme-court-election-texas.html

He loses so much. Doesn't he get tired of losing?

This is from Trump's email he sent out at 10:30 tonight:

I’m a little concerned about Mr Trump’s health: his face is looking a bit sallow and thinner, his mouth smaller and thinner, that formerly rounded chin is decidedly pointy.  

Could he be suffering long-term effects from his brush with covid?? Could they be negatively affected by this personally unpleasant political setback?? Or could there be other health factors in play? H’mm.

joanne said:

I’m a little concerned about Mr Trump’s health: his face is looking a bit sallow and thinner, his mouth smaller and thinner, that formerly rounded chin is decidedly pointy.  

Could he be suffering long-term effects from his brush with covid?? Could they be negatively affected by this personally unpleasant political setback?? Or could there be other health factors in play? H’mm.

Sounds like he is morphing.

joanne said:

Eventually the negative/toxic/nasty thoughts of a person will manifest itself through the epidermis.

Lawsuit ‘Smacks Of Racism’: Wisconsin Judge Shreds Trump Lawyer Over Vote Challenge

A Wisconsin Supreme Court justice came right out and said it Saturday when she blasted Donald Trump’s attorney over a lawsuit challenging state election results that “smacks of racism.”

Liberal Justice Jill Karofsky also slammed the legal action as “not normal,” and as an assault on a “legitimate election” that has failed to produce a single case of fraud.

“What you want is for us to overturn this election so that your king can stay in power,” said Karofsky. “That is so un-American.”

Karofsky attacked lawyer James Troupis in a virtual hearing on a case filed by the lame-duck president and Vice President Mike Pence seeking to jettison all absentee ballots in two counties — Dane and Milwaukee — that voted for Joe Biden.

The counties are the “most urban, nonwhite, largest counties” in the state that “voted overwhelmingly for Joe Biden,” Karofsky’s colleague Justice Rebecca Dallet said.

Karofsky said to Troupis that the lawsuit has singled out two counties of 72 in the state, “targeted because of their diverse populations, because they’re urban, I presume, because they vote Democratic. This lawsuit, Mr. Troupis, smacks of racism.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/wisconsin-state-supreme-court-trump-lawsuit-racism_n_5fd54981c5b6218b42e99e88

Just a little from Stephen Miller when Donny complained that he won New Hampshire - in 2016.

MILLER: I have actually, having worked before on a campaign in New Hampshire, I can tell you that this issue of busing voters into New Hampshire is widely known by anyone who’s worked in New Hampshire politics. It’s very real. It’s very serious. This morning, on this show, is not the venue for me to lay out all the evidence.

MILLER: But I can tell you this, voter fraud is a serious problem in this country. You have millions of people who are registered in two states or who are dead who are registered to vote. And you have 14 percent of noncitizens, according to academic research, at a minimum, are registered to vote, which is an astonishing statistic.

Miller has his obsessions which directly align with Trump's delusions- they're a perfect match.

Mitch McConnell has publicly accepted that Biden and Harris are President-Elect and VP-Elect, respectively. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/15/politics/mitch-mcconnell-congratulates-joe-biden/index.html

This was after Putin acknowledged it. So I guess he got the all-clear from Moscow.

"The electoral college has spoken," Mitch said from the Senate floor in the US Capitol, adding, "Today I want to congratulate President-elect Joe Biden."

Trump asking for McConnell's resignation. 

cramer said:

If we're lucky, so are Georgia voters.

PVW said:

cramer said:

If we're lucky, so are Georgia voters.

Kentucky?   

cramer said:

Kentucky?   

As Majority Leader

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.