Starbucks in the Village?

It occurs to me that, if the village can really support a store with this business model, why are we courting a Bsux and not a Peets?

Klinker said:

It occurs to me that, if the village can really support a store with this business model, why are we courting a Bsux and not a Peets?

Who is the "we" that's doing the courting?

Can we turn the new yet-to-be-opened Belmont Eatery into an In-N-Out while we're at it?

If you look at the fact that coffee is available in the Village in at least 7 different locations,  including Texas Pete's,  yes Texas Pete and the fact that at least two of them qualify as excellent in my limited 

experience..................Would Starbucks really want to come here?

I think if you really don't want a Starbucks here, you could send their representative on a wild goose chase looking for this Texas Pete's place. 

ridski said:

I think if you really don't want a Starbucks here, you could send their representative on a wild goose chase looking for this Texas Pete's place. 

He is the black sheep in the family. Cactus Charley only talks about him over many glasses of vino

I love the free coffee at the Bank of America ATM.  

Ma

ml1 said:

I love the free coffee at the Bank of America ATM.  

Make that 8 who provide coffee

I love the free coffee at my kitchen.  But now and again I like to splurge.  

well, my mom always has coffee. You don't want to drink it, though.

orzabelle said:

well, my mom always has coffee. You don't want to drink it, though.

I was raised on a different type of Coffee.  Greek/Turkish coffee is actually blended with a very thick coffee beans which strangely enough has less caffeine than our blends.  The beans sink to the bottom of the cup.  When older woman are finished they turn the cup upside down on the saucer

Then they read the coffee bean patterns and predict the future

Hence, the saying, when something goes wrong in Greece,  which is most of the time

We say,  " This is Greece". But we still reserve the right to resent it when tourists utter those words.

OliveBee is right regarding the wording in the township ordinance. "Fast Food" is not "allowed" for lack of a better word in this moment.  Starbucks does not fit this bill. The definition of "fast food", I was told, is vague, leaving plenty of room for possibilities.  I heard, from what I consider a very reliable source, that Starbucks in the new building was a done deal. I was surprised that the deal was done so far in advance, but I really don't know how these things work.

Building owners like to have tenants lined up so when the building opens there are no vacancy.  I would suspect that at least 3 of the 5 spaces are signed on.  Rumor is that one is huge restaurant.

OliveBee said:

Building owners like to have tenants lined up so when the building opens there are no vacancy.  I would suspect that at least 3 of the 5 spaces are signed on.  Rumor is that one is huge restaurant.

The oracle speaketh...

what's wrong with a huge restaurant?

The five stores planned will be of varying sizes   The largest planned will be almost double the size of the 

smallest and might very well be a huge restaurant.

ml1 said:

nothing at all, just reporting what I heard.  Although come to think about it, a large restaurant puts a large load on the sewers...so we will see how this sewer thingy goes.

OliveBee said:

ml1 said:

nothing at all, just reporting what I heard.  Although come to think about it, a large restaurant puts a large load on the sewers...so we will see how this sewer thingy goes.

I think we all know what puts a large load on sewers. 

32 years ago when I moved to Maplewood there were three restaurants in Maplewood Village" The Winoleer (on Highland Place).  Roman  Gourmet, and The Mapleleaf.   Then Coda, St James Gate, Arturos and many other restaurants opened up enlivening  Maplewoods downtown and putting a heavy burden on the sewer system.   So of course it is completely rational and makes total sense to blame the problem, in other words,  "the sewer thingy" on Vic  DeLuca.

Looking forward to a new Restaurant. 

sarahzm said:

32 years ago when I moved to Maplewood there were three restaurants in Maplewood Village" The Winoleer (on Highland Place).  Roman  Gourmet, and The Mapleleaf.   Then Coda, St James Gate, Arturos and many other restaurants opened up enlivening  Maplewoods downtown and putting a heavy burden on the sewer system.   So of course it is completely rational and makes total sense to blame the problem, in other words,  "the sewer thingy" on Vic  DeLuca.

Where did anyone blame the sewer problem on Vic Deluca?

My hope is the new restaurant will include one of the currently un-used liquor license.

alias said:

My hope is the new restaurant will include one of the currently un-used liquor license.

How many consumption  licenses are out there? I thought just the one from Highland Place, which I believe is tied up with the vacant property right now.

I think the ridiculous price of acquiring a liquor license in this state makes it hard for a quality restaurant to open with reasonable prices. I've been underwhelmed by the quality:price ratio at Ricalton's, fr'instance. I'd rather a really great BYOB place that doesn't need inflated food prices to cover a $500K liquor license. 

The restaurant rumor is actually pretty exciting

Dennis_Seelbach said:
OliveBee said:

The oracle speaketh...

Old, old news.  Would be less "huge" in terms of space than other factors, though.  Fingers crossed.

mrincredible said:
alias said:

How many consumption  licenses are out there? I thought just the one from Highland Place, which I believe is tied up with the vacant property right now.

I think the ridiculous price of acquiring a liquor license in this state makes it hard for a quality restaurant to open with reasonable prices. I've been underwhelmed by the quality:price ratio at Ricalton's, fr'instance. I'd rather a really great BYOB place that doesn't need inflated food prices to cover a $500K liquor license. 

there are 2 that aren't currently in use.  One from Highland Place and another from a restaurant that used to be on Springfield Ave (B Hathaway's I believe).

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.