South Orange BOT election

JoeNegative said:
You know who really digs all of the South Orange political negativity? This guy!!! That's right MOL'ers and other SOMA Peeps, JoeNegative chiming in! Friends call me JoeyNegs or BroNegative. 
Born and raised in Dumbo, Brooklyn, I was recently brought in as a hired-gun to support DDF and her special interests backed campaign. My capabilities include copywriting for negative mailers, lawn sign thievery and spreading misinformation on a door-to-door basis. Recently, I've even expanded into cyberspace by launching misleading and annoying sponsored content on social media outlets like Facebook.
Our campaign strategy is simple. It's about keeping it real! Well, technically, it's about keeping it unreal, but who's paying attention to the details anyway? Our platform?
- If the truth is inconvenient, simply lie
- When you have no original ideas to run on, hitch your saddlebags to a special interest wedge issue
- Debate, under no circumstances
What's more? Our campaign is backed by the most impressive collection of haters in the history of SOMA politics. Some with decades, even centuries of experience to call on. It's a strategy that worked well for Trump. Heck, we even added an NRA card-carrying Republican to our ticket!
Well, gotta go and hit the campaign trail. But I'll be showing up in your mailbox or front door very soon. Remember, when it comes to negativity, don't say NO! Say JOE!
Oh, and vote twice! That's how we do in The Essex!
JN

You must be good friends with Joey Twochecks. 

Red_Barchetta said:

JoeNegative said:
You know who really digs all of the South Orange political negativity? This guy!!! That's right MOL'ers and other SOMA Peeps, JoeNegative chiming in! Friends call me JoeyNegs or BroNegative. 
Born and raised in Dumbo, Brooklyn, I was recently brought in as a hired-gun to support DDF and her special interests backed campaign. My capabilities include copywriting for negative mailers, lawn sign thievery and spreading misinformation on a door-to-door basis. Recently, I've even expanded into cyberspace by launching misleading and annoying sponsored content on social media outlets like Facebook.
Our campaign strategy is simple. It's about keeping it real! Well, technically, it's about keeping it unreal, but who's paying attention to the details anyway? Our platform?
- When you have no original ideas to run on, hitch your saddlebags to a special interest wedge issue
What's more? Our campaign is backed by the most impressive collection of haters in the history of SOMA politics. Some with decades, even centuries of experience to call on. It's a strategy that worked well for Trump. Heck, we even added an NRA card-carrying Republican to our ticket!
Well, gotta go and hit the campaign trail. But I'll be showing up in your mailbox or front door very soon. Remember, when it comes to negativity, don't say NO! Say JOE!
JN
Click to Read More
JoeNegative said:
JN
 You must be good friends with Joey Twochecks. 

I actually interpreted his post as sarcasm on steroids.  I did not think it was a post supporting Joey D.  

I wish the powers that be would have deleted offending posts about the two food places and left the rest of my thread up

librarylady said:
I wish the powers that be would have deleted offending posts about the two food places and left the rest of my thread up

Agreed.  Taking the whole thread down made me wonder about the politics of our gracious hosts here on MOL.

susan1014 said:
Agreed.  Taking the whole thread down made me wonder about the politics of our gracious hosts here on MOL.

I think if they were trying to influence local politics This Thread would have been nuked a while ago. I think the reason they took down the whole thread rather than trying to delete individual comments is that they probably don't have time to play a game of whack-a-mole deleting the problematic comments as they appear.

There were also some specific names of local people mentioned as well. I think that is one of the areas which can cause legal problems for a website like this. I wish the rules were more clear but I think that the site owners have to use their best judgment. It's their business and livelihood on the line, not ours.

The "non-debate" last night was somewhat interesting, but it really didn't break any new ground.  The Chamber and the Moderator did a fine job of being fair.  It did appear that ALL questions that were submitted from the audience were read and posed to DDF.

There is a great re-cap of the substance of the debate posted on Nextdoor: https://nextdoor.com/news_feed/?post=110641204

It was also live-streamed with Sheena posting real-time rebuttals through the evening.

ok, thread has been re-opened.  The other thread is open again - I may be removed it by accident.  (sorry LL)

New mailers today. Jumbo sized! It’s like when you think someone doesn’t understand you so you talk louder. Things are getting crazier. I’ll be glad when this is all over. My recycling bin is packed to the max!

Are their election filings up to date?  Who is funding all these mailers?

annielou said:
New mailers today. Jumbo sized! It’s like when you think someone doesn’t understand you so you talk louder. Things are getting crazier. I’ll be glad when this is all over. My recycling bin is packed to the max!

Too funny, I just folded a few to close the lid on  the wastebasket. 

Regardless of a win or loss, how does Ms. DF expect to live here after the election?

This is a serious question and not meant to be mocking and belittling but are there any/many people who see these political mailers, especially ones that are so inflammatory, and see them as anything but misleading propaganda? Does this sort of stuff sway many people? I can imagine if someone is totally uninformed about local issues using it as a jumping off point for a little bit more research but I can't for the life of me imagine that anyone buys something like that at face value. Please, someone convince me that people are more rational than that. 

MasterP said:
This is a serious question and not meant to be mocking and belittling but are there any/many people who see these political mailers, especially ones that are so inflammatory, and see them as anything but misleading propaganda? Does this sort of stuff sway many people? I can imagine if someone is totally uninformed about local issues using it as a jumping off point for a little bit more research but I can't for the life of me imagine that anyone buys something like that at face value. Please, someone convince me that people are more rational than that. 

Good question. I guess we’ll find out on Tuesday.  

MasterP said:

Maybe rational but often uninvolved. I still run into people who don't know that our animal shelter  closed down and if they do they are still asking why. It was argued on MOL for the first year and was dragged out into many town hall meetings over 4 years and is still a sore subject for those involved.

They may pick up a few cards in the mail and see the headlines and then if it hits them viscerally they may turnout to vote. I think we get about 10% voter turnout. Someone posted that a couple of candidates won by 14 and 20 votes.

So, I'm worried. Think of how many residents are on this board, yet only a few of us post questions. The phrase, "I don't want to get involved" comes to mind.

MasterP said:
I can imagine if someone is totally uninformed about local issues using it as a jumping off point for a little bit more research but I can't for the life of me imagine that anyone buys something like that at face value. Please, someone convince me that people are more rational than that. 

I guess you missed what happened in November 2016.  If people will eagerly believe lies on a national level, why do you think they'd suddenly be rational for local politics.

mayhewdrive said:

MasterP said:
 Good question. I guess we’ll find out on Tuesday.  

I think you'd be surprised by the amount of people that are uninformed about local matters.  They could easily be swayed by misleading flyers.

spontaneous said:

MasterP said:
I can imagine if someone is totally uninformed about local issues using it as a jumping off point for a little bit more research but I can't for the life of me imagine that anyone buys something like that at face value. Please, someone convince me that people are more rational than that. 
 I guess you missed what happened in November 2016.  If people will eagerly believe lies on a national level, why do you think they'd suddenly be rational for local politics.

Nailed it.

I am hoping that at least half of those swayed by flyers will be swayed by the Sheena flyers.  The last several I have gotten have been for her.

So I’m curious about people’s reaction to all these out of town endorsements of the various candidates with Village positions. What’s your take on this? Should people in Milburn East orange or Newark influence the decision of Voters of  South Orange? Is Maplewood a special case? Not arguing that they shouldn’t make these endorsements (first amendment and all that) but just curious if it would change your vote?

Maplewood is not a special case, and every endorsement from Maplewood paints a picture that Sheena has acquiesced too much to our sister city. Whether it’s factual or not, it’s the optics. Not helpful at all.

annielou said:
Maplewood is not a special case, and every endorsement from Maplewood paints a picture that Sheena has acquiesced too much to our sister city. Whether it’s factual or not, it’s the optics. Not helpful at all.

Gotta disagree...there is a huge difference between effective collaboration and acquiesce.

Hoping the glowing News Record endorsement helps with people who may not be as active on social media.

The News Record is a delivered small town newspaper with a long history.  I don’t know its circulation numbers, but it has reporters and the only editorial page around that makes carefully researched endorsements.  I don’t always agree with them, but I think what they wrote was powerful, and not driven by ad revenue.

If you knew as much about town (sorry, Village) politics as you claim, you’d know what the News Record is.

I also think that I’m very tired of you trolling us with unsubstantiated allegations.

shelag67 said:

librarylady said:

So I’m curious about people’s reaction to all these out of town endorsements of the various candidates with Village positions. What’s your take on this? Should people in Milburn East orange or Newark influence the decision of Voters of  South Orange? Is Maplewood a special case? Not arguing that they shouldn’t make these endorsements (first amendment and all that) but just curious if it would change your vote?
I agree with you. Why isn't anyone asking the SOVCA Executive Board why Bob Zuckerman was fired from his job, accompanied by a separation agreement? Wouldn't you like an answer to that, librarylady?

Do you have any proof to back up this allegation?  

shelag67 said:

librarylady said:

I agree with you. Why isn't anyone asking the SOVCA Executive Board why Bob Zuckerman was fired from his job, accompanied by a separation agreement? Wouldn't you like an answer to that, librarylady?

Prove it, moron!

Looked it up..the News-Record has been around since 1889 and has a weekly paid circulation (distributed by mail) of about 5200, according to their filings.  They are the SOMA part of a family of small local newspapers

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.