South Orange BOT election

I, too, want to hear more from Brown, Davis, and Moore.  I still have them in the mix.  I agree about the So forward candidates.  They are off my radar.

I can't support DDF's ticket.  

I know one candidate on each of  the other tickets but at this point I am leaning  towards Collier, Zuckerman and Jones although I guess I can vote for any three.  

I’m curious to see which trustee candidates can revitalize our neglected commercial corridors. I’d also like to see a life long SO resident on there for a change. In terms of VP, I see no good reason to change at this point, especially since I don’t hear a lot of specifics from DDF regarding taxes, affordable housing, and revitalization, apart from what already has been done or is in the works. Also, I would lean toward trustee candidates who view seniors as more than an inconvenience 

annielou said:
I’m curious to see which trustee candidates can revitalize our neglected commercial corridors. I’d also like to see a life long SO resident on there for a change. In terms of VP, I see no good reason to change at this point, especially since I don’t hear a lot of specifics from DDF regarding taxes, affordable housing, and revitalization, apart from what already has been done or is in the works. Also, I would lean toward trustee candidates who view seniors as more than an inconvenience 

annielou - Ed Moore is committed to helping seniors age in place - an issue I share with you.  

"The President of the West Montrose Neighborhood Association, Ed advocated on the community’s behalf to hold the Board of Trustees accountable for significant land-use, pedestrian safety and downtown-development issues. Among his many volunteer duties, Ed serves on the management committee of SOMA Two Towns for All Ages, an organization committed to helping seniors who choose to “age in place” within the community we love."

https://www.browndavismooreforbot.com/edbio

I can't vote for the DDF slate, but I wish I could vote for all six candidates on the other two slates. They are all people that I would like to see on the BOT. 

I can't vote for the DDF slate, but I wish I could vote for all six candidates on the other two slates. They are all people that I would like to see on the BOT. 

I think a lot of people are in this boat and worry that it could help the SO Forward ticket. As divisive and horrible as their campaign has been, I worry that it is effective for a certain type of voter. And without any of the other BOT slates really distinguishing themselves from the other (I, too, like people on both other slates and am impressed with their credentials) I worry about what the math works out to. The Essex County machine knows how to run elections and they still aren't done yet. 

MasterP - I agree. 

Mayhewdrive, so far I’m where you are.  And I share the concern about splitting the trustee vote

I just had a doorstep conversation with Stacey Borden.  She is unfailingly polite, takes notes, and clearly means well.  However, she doesn’t seem to understand issues like property taxes, affordable housing, etc. as well as I expect of a candidate, and seems not to have seen  or reviewed campaign mailings before they were sent out in her name. If you are running on a divisive platform, you need to understand it and own it.  If you are running to help seniors, you need a platform that goes beyond “get state school funding law changed”.

I’m afraid I was pretty blunt with her about the many reasons no one on that line is likely to get votes from our house.  But I thanked her for her willingness to run.

Is tonight’s event being taped?  I’m interested, but swamped, and would love to review on my own schedule.

Just tuned back in and I sincerely thought that the information presented on property taxes presented by Rob_Sandow was a look at making an imbalance more equitable. I hadn't heard it as a plan to tax Maplewood unfairly. There is nothing selfish to hope to get a solution that is fair and we are not talking about anything that sounded outrageous. If I'm correct and perhaps Rob can clarify we were talking about the average resident in South Orange paying about 700 more than a similar resident in Maplewood. I may be getting this wrong as its been awhile.

There are many things that happen in real estate that can be considered unfair. As we are discussing age, I recall about 4 women who were widowed on the same street and 3 moved. If a house sells below assessed value, hypothetically because property taxes are high, that comp will be used for the next market analysis. One house may not make a big difference but a few houses sold because of deaths or illnesses or families now on fixed incomes will effect the value of all of the houses on the street. An agent putting in an offer will argue the comps in the area. The new buyer will than go to the tax assessor and argue lowering the taxes on that new purchase based on the lower than assessed sales price. Just something to consider and  I agree with the value of staying in one's home.

Worth considering too is the financial issue of downsizing. When the high end home sales slow down, the smaller homes perhaps perfect for downsizing hold their value. So buy low sell high is not an option and the reverse is true. And the proceeds from that sale are part of what that senior is supposed to live on. A home is usually a person's biggest asset.

Morganna said:

PurpleMonkeyDshwashr said:
What are the rules on lawn signs? I was under the impression it was 1 per building unless on a corner in which case they are allowed 2. I'm seeing places with more (*cough* Bunny's and Gaslight *cough*).
 I was told by someone who picked up a pizza at Bunny's today that there were promotions on the tables supporting DDF.

Seems like a risky tactic for Bunny's.  

susan1014 said:

Is tonight’s event being taped?  I’m interested, but swamped, and would love to review on my own schedule.

According to the VG article, "Village Green is working with SOMAtv to record the forum. Video will be loaded to YouTube for widespread public dissemination"

I was told by someone who picked up a pizza at Bunny's today that there were promotions on the tables supporting DDF.

yahooyahoo said:
Seems like a risky tactic for Bunny's.  

I am pretty sure they have printed placemats for their chosen candidate(s) for every election for at least the past 10 years.

Bunny’s will be fine. It was there before most of you were born and it will be there when many of you relocate. It is a South Orange landmark, and although I don’t always agree with the politics, the owners have an absolute right to their opinions.

The only way the school funding relief is going to happen for our district as a whole is at the state level.  We should be focusing on Mila Jasey, John McKeon, and Richard Codey.  

Any local politician that says they can use their contacts to change how funding is balanced between the two towns is foolish.

yahooyahoo said:
The only way the school funding relief is going to happen for our district as a whole is at the state level.  We should be focusing on Mila Jasey, John McKeon, and Richard Codey.  
Any local politician that says they can use their contacts to change how funding is balanced between the two towns is foolish.

The thing is, Jasey, McKeon, and Codey also represent Maplewood, which has more voters than South Orange.  This is why I came to the conclusion that nothing would change after meeting with them and/or their representatives.  

annielou said:
Bunny’s will be fine. It was there before most of you were born and it will be there when many of you relocate. It is a South Orange landmark, and although I don’t always agree with the politics, the owners have an absolute right to their opinions.

Yeah, they’ll be fine, but this may be the first year in a decade that we don’t have our post Passover return to leavened foods with them (we have been regulars for a long time).  They have an absolute right to their opinions, but I know very few restaurants that work as hard to force their opinions on diners as Bunny’s is doing this year.  Too much for me. we won’t be back before the election, and not sure after that - may depend on the outcome.

I’m sure they’re not losing sleep over this. Sorry. I’m not with them on this campaign, but it really is not about where you personally decide to eat dinner. Nobody cares.

annielou said:
I’m sure they’re not losing sleep over this. Sorry. I’m not with them on this campaign, but it really is not about where you personally decide to eat dinner. Nobody cares.

Not true; I care.  I agree the Bunny's folks aren't losing sleep over whether their state regulated oligopoly that they imagine is free enterprise will lose more money from good government folks like susan1014 not patronizing them than they will if the politicians that keep their oligopoly going fail to protect them - that's what keeps them up at night, a free market where any other restaurant in town can get a liquor license for a reasonable fee, like in most states.

They have a right to do politics in their establishment - to protect their establishment? - and susan1014 and anyone else can use choose to not go there.  

Great forum tonight. I found it confusing that the slates didn't sit together as I don't know them by face and there was no literature at least in the back where I started out.

I heard a few people that I will look at again when the video is up. I don't think I will pick a complete slate.

Sheena was terrific. Her responses were quick and packed with information. As I expected she is a tough candidate to challenge.

Anyone else go?

cramer said:
annielou - Ed Moore is committed to helping seniors age in place - an issue I share with you.  
"The President of the West Montrose Neighborhood Association, Ed advocated on the community’s behalf to hold the Board of Trustees accountable for significant land-use, pedestrian safety and downtown-development issues. Among his many volunteer duties, Ed serves on the management committee of SOMA Two Towns for All Ages, an organization committed to helping seniors who choose to “age in place” within the community we love."

https://www.browndavismooreforbot.com/edbio

I liked Ed Moore tonight and I will look at more information about him. Why vote a complete slate. He seems like he would be a nice addition to the board. I think he has my vote.

Sheena knocked it out of the park tonight. It was as if DDF was an opponent of that Jeopardy guy. She didn’t have a chance against the buzzsaw of the current VPs knowledge, ideas and concrete suggestions

I like Bob Zuckerman’s ideas as well and with his experience with SOVCA I think he would be a great addition to the Board

Steve said:
I received two different mailings from DDF and her team prior to this report being filed.  I'm assuming that these mailings went to a lot of people.  How is it possible that it was done for so little money?

Were the pieces addressed to you or were they directed to Postal Customer?

I think to me and my wife (as yesterday's was).

Ours  had both our names followed  by “Or occupant “  is that the more  expensive way to mail this ****

Here's the link to the video 

Once the Village Green has had a chance to note the time codes for questions - you'll be able to go to specific parts. If you're not a VG supporter - please do consider doing so - they provide a very valuable service.

Rob_Sandow said:

yahooyahoo said:

The thing is, Jasey, McKeon, and Codey also represent Maplewood, which has more voters than South Orange.  This is why I came to the conclusion that nothing would change after meeting with them and/or their representatives.  

There are dozens of stances South Orange's representatives could take that would lower our taxes, but they don't want to because 

1) they ideologically they support whatever the status quo is

2) they are beholden to politically active special interests who support the status quo.

Jasey, McKeon, and Codey barely purport to want to lower SO's taxes.  I recall Jasey a few years ago openly running on a platform of universal PreK and "free" college, which would be immensely expensive.  Jasey is a legislative leader on education, but she is most visible in issues relating to charter schools, which would have only a minimal impact on SOMA.  Before she became anti-charter, Jasey was also the primary sponsor of the bill that allowed private schools to convert to charters, which ended up costing the SOMSD $200,000 in its first year.

To the extent that Codey, McKeon, and Jasey purport to care about property taxes at all, their solution is always to raise income taxes and use that money to supplant (theoretically) local taxes.  It doesn't occur to them much that state aid might just go to increases in spending and not property tax offsets and that very little of whatever income tax increase would go to SOMA due to how NJ's state aid law is designed.

They have opposed the state's biggest cost-saving measures of the last decade, namely Chapter 78.  (without which NJ's fiscal crisis would be even worse than it is)

Dick Codey also has a personal loathing of Steve Sweeney and sometimes will oppose something that would benefit District 27 out of spite.  For instance he was one of 6-7 Senators to vote against early versions of Steve Sweeney's state aid reform plan.  (although at the end, he did vote for S2 in June 2018)

To my knowledge, Jasey, McKeon, and Codey are not supporters of Steve Sweeney's "Path2Progress."   

They were also active and early supporters of Phil Murphy, despite Murphy's lack of any plan on property taxes at all and criticism of the state's previous cost-saving measures.  

South Orange, and New Jersey as a whole, are never going to see tax relief as long as we continue to elect and empower people who don't care about lowering taxes.  As long as South Orange's voters would rather drink sewage than elect pro-taxpayer legislators and governors (ie, Republicans), we ourselves are part of the problem.  

Runner_Guy said:

Rob_Sandow said:

yahooyahoo said:

South Orange, and New Jersey as a whole, are never going to see tax relief as long as we continue to elect and empower people who don't care about lowering taxes.  As long as South Orange's voters would rather drink sewage than elect pro-taxpayer legislators and governors (ie, Republicans), we ourselves are part of the problem.  

pretty much a bunch of BS -- when the republicans were in control I did not notice any decrease in property taxes.  in Fact the phony 10%  decrease that was promised by Christine Whitman actually caused a larger increase in taxes.  

Whitman, Christie, Kean all failed at lowering taxes and all had enough support to make a difference and all failed miserably.   Christie's decision to end the tunnel project was probably the worst decision ever made by a governor and the impact for our area will be felt for years.  

As for the Sweeney - Codey feud, it has been a two way fight -- kind of hard to put all the blame on Codey.   Sweeney has been extremely weak on Mass Transit which is vital to our area of the state.  

Runner_Guy said:

Please.  That's just drivel.  It's largely the GOP leadership that got us into this mess by "cutting taxes."  Whitman's cuts just led to cuts in local aid requiring increases in property taxes.  She also started the tradition of not funding the pension fund as required.  This, of course, put us in a bigger hole as time passed such that large tax increases are required to pay for the prior generation's theft.

Steve said:

Runner_Guy said:

Please.  That's just drivel.  It's largely the GOP leadership that got us into this mess by "cutting taxes."  Whitman's cuts just led to cuts in local aid requiring increases in property taxes.  She also started the tradition of not funding the pension fund as required.  This, of course, put us in a bigger hole as time passed such that large tax increases are required to pay for the prior generation's theft.

NJ state spending increased from $12 billion a year to $12 billion a year in the Whitman-DiFrancesco years, which was over double inflation and population growth.  NJ's fiscal crisis is the result of Whitman and DiFrancesco acting like conservatives on income taxes, but acting like liberals on spending.  Whitman and DiFrancesco themselves deserve a lot of blame for that, but the NJ Supreme Court had hijacked state aid (over a quarter of the budget at the time) and the NJ Supreme Court forced spending increases on NJ that the democratically-elected branches would not have done on their own.

Also, you have to remember that the NJEA officially endorsed the Republicans in 1991 and gave Whitman de facto endorsements in 1993 and 1997.

Finally, this isn't about the 1990s and Whitman.  This is about 2019.

NJ has two political parties. The Republicans are imperfect, but their priority is to lower taxes.  Many Democrats don't purport to want to lower taxes, and call taxes an "investment" that will pay off for individuals and communities.

Within the Democratic Party there are some politicians who are more moderate, and some who are more progressive.  Jasey, McKeon, Codey, and Murphy (all supported by SO) are progressives whose agenda on lowering taxes is almost nonexistent or counterbalanced by the numerous areas where they want to increase spending.

Look, if you thing that having higher state and local taxes pays off for SO and NJ then that's your business, but it's crazy to think that the two parties are the same on taxes and spending.  

Runner_guy....any chance you could take this argument to a new thread, rather than hijacking this from its focus on local races?

susan1014 said:
Runner_guy....any chance you could take this argument to a new thread, rather than hijacking this from its focus on local races?

I won't post again about our legislative representation and governors.  

If someone else wants to start another thread, maybe I will jump in, but I will not start a thread on that myself right now.

Runner guy -- at no point in time have republicans actually lowered taxes.  you have been brainwashed ---

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.