South Orange BOT election

cramer said:
My understanding is that the NJMFBA (Firefighters Mutual Benefit Association) is part of a PAC which is contributing money to DDF's campaign. It's my further understanding that the way these PACs work is that the money is not directly contributed to the campaign but is done through another entity so that it's difficult to know who is actually contributing the money, so that the campaign can say it didn't receive any money from a PAC. 

The mailer(s) do explicitly say they are paid for by "SO Forward", so it'll be interesting to see where the $10k+ has come from, when the ELEC filings are submitted this week.

Red_Barchetta said:
Someone on FB posted that the firemen's local is one of the biggest donors to the DDF slate.  If that is true it should really be looked into.  Not for punitive purposes, but to understand why they are unhappy or against the merger.  

See my post following yours. I'll have to look at the FB post. My understanding is that it is the NJMFBA.

The “Your Voice, Our Village” ticket is surprised and disappointed by the recent “SOForward” mailer. The mailer describes the still incomplete fire department negotiations inaccurately.  We denounce alarmist, negative campaigning and will not use these tactics ourselves. At this time, because we are not involved in the negotiations, we do not have access to the full details. We generally support the concept of shared services as a highly effective cost-saving measure and compliment the current administration on its progress to date.  If elected, we will carefully examine the details of the proposal and support it only to the extent that it saves money without comprising public safety.

If you want to learn more about us and our platform, please visit our website: www.yourvoiceourvillage.com

Signed, Bob Zuckerman, Donna Coallier and Summer Jones

Deborah’s team has decided to double-down on the issue in their comments in the updated Village Green article:

https://villagegreennj.com/election/fire-department-becomes-central-issue-in-south-orange-municipal-election-mailer-sparks-backlash/

As much as we all love Sheena, we can’t forget Torpey’s win. 

Turnout is so poor that it does not take many votes to turn an election.

Just takes organization.

cramer said:
My understanding is that the NJMFBA (Firefighters Mutual Benefit Association) is part of a PAC which is contributing money to DDF's campaign...

...so that the campaign can say it didn't receive any money from a PAC. 

I must be missing something... shouldn’t that last “PAC” above read “NJFMBA”?

ctrzaska said:

cramer said:
My understanding is that the NJMFBA (Firefighters Mutual Benefit Association) is part of a PAC which is contributing money to DDF's campaign...

...so that the campaign can say it didn't receive any money from a PAC. 
I must be missing something... shouldn’t that last “PAC” above read “NJFMBA”?

Yes - thank you. NJFMBA 

It seems that both the local and state firefighters' unions are contributing money to DDF's campaign. 

And I believe the other major PAC is funded by a bunch of lawyers who represent developers.  They want our VP out because she is not a pushover.

Is it just me or is this starting to feel like an episode of "Parks and Recreation"?

FilmCarp said:
And I believe the other major PAC is funded by a bunch of lawyers who represent developers.  They want our VP out because she is not a pushover.

That is my understanding. Sheena has not been willing to agree the density or financial terms that the developers want.  It might be difficult to know who is contributing to the PAC if the PAC doesn't contribute directly to DDF's campaign but donates money to another entity which then contributes. DDF has pros advising her. 

cramer said:
That is my understanding. Sheena has not been willing to agree the density or financial terms that the developers want.  It might be difficult to know who is contributing to the PAC if the PAC doesn't contribute directly to DDF's campaign but donates money to another entity which then contributes. DDF has pros advising her. 

You would think after 10 or more years on the BOT she would be ab!e to reach us with her ideas without needing consultants.

Anyone want a lawnsign? Just let me know or go to SheenaCollum.com

FilmCarp said:
 You would think after 10 or more years on the BOT she would be ab!e to reach us with her ideas without needing consultants.

12 years

This DDF&Co mailer & my reply are what they are...  Wish I could get an absentee ballot!

-s.

soda said:
This DDF&Co mailer & my reply are what they are...  Wish I could get an absentee ballot!
-s.

Displaying a lawn sign was instrumental in her win???  She was UNCONTESTED!!  Lol

Although I'm a resident of Maplewood, Sheena's ability to work with my town is very important. Here's the latest:

Maplewood, South Orange, Glen Ridge, Montclair, and Verona, representing more than 100,000 residents, combined their purchasing power as the Sustainable Essex Alliance (SEA) to purchase electricity from Direct Energy LLC, an alternative electric supplier to Public Service Electric & Gas. The 17-month contract with Direct Energy, approved on April 2nd, will save each of the 36,000 households in the five towns about $100 per year. Additionally, 40 percent of the electric purchased will be with renewable energy credits, which is twice the green content of PSE&G generated electric. Participating residents also will get help in navigating energy efficiency opportunities for their homes as part of the program, thereby saving more money and reducing their environmental impact. 

Maplewoodians for Sheena!

Not to get off topic, but I have to look in to that, because I have solar power and we have a different relationship with PSE&G.  We may have to opt out.

Lawn sign out and protected by dragon security.

cramer said:

FilmCarp said:

Could you give more details about this?

I did a little drive around town tonight on my way home from work, just looking for lawn signs.  Sheena has a huge lead over DDF and her slate.  No signs out for the other 2 slates yet, but I would expect the Zuckerman/Coallier/Jones ticket to land signs on many of the Collum lawns.

Sowhat do you do when a neighbor puts up the lawn sign for the candidate opposing the one you support? Ignore? Go have a little talk? Cry bitter tears and remove said sign ( Not really)

Ignore. It’s none of your business.

I think it depends on your relationship with your neighbor. If you're "waving acquaintances" I would say ignore. If you are on friendlier terms you could certainly ask them what prompted them to support their candidate. Maybe you might learn something. It doesn't have to be a rancorous discussion.

give the address to Sheena's team.  Let them go talk with the neighbor

lawn signs?  I’m hearing rumors of a mobile truck driving around promoting Deborah’s team.  Has anyone seen this?

mayhewdrive said:
lawn signs?  I’m hearing rumors of a mobile truck driving around promoting Deborah’s team.  Has anyone seen this?

I heard that there was a sound truck going up and down Irvington Ave. Really? Is that necessary? Money could be spent in so many better ways

this is going to get UGLY!

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. A past Village President who has resented Sheena since 2008 when she was responsible for helping defeat him has joined forces with a local business establishment which he badmouthed when he was in office and they badmouthed him. They've all been gunning for Sheena for years.  

In the previous VP election 4 years ago, that business complained about the high taxes while standing next to that VP who was responsible for letting taxes go wild. (That's one of the reasons he was defeated.) They were supporting Sheena's opponent.

What are the rules on lawn signs? I was under the impression it was 1 per building unless on a corner in which case they are allowed 2. I'm seeing places with more (*cough* Bunny's and Gaslight *cough*).

PurpleMonkeyDshwashr said:
What are the rules on lawn signs? I was under the impression it was 1 per building unless on a corner in which case they are allowed 2. I'm seeing places with more (*cough* Bunny's and Gaslight *cough*).

Technically, it is one per property, except for a corner lot. 

That said, these lawn sign games occur every election and, in the end, the only thing that matters is voting on May 14th. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!