Russia's unprovoked invasion of Ukraine

cramer said:

This surprised me - I guess that's why I'm not an energy trader (although I've  known some.)  Natural gas prices fell on Tuesday -  I thought they would be up today in the face of Gazprom's indefinite shutdown of Nord Stream 1. Oil prices have also fallen. 

"Natural gas prices fell sharply on Tuesday amid reports of a continued clash between Russia’s Gazprom and Germany’s Siemens Energy ENR, 3.04%.

European natural gas benchmark, the Dutch TTF future, dropped 10.7% to 219.6 euros per megawatt hour. U.K. natural gas futures for October fell 13.5% to 400 pence per therm. Both contracts remain many multiples higher than prices seen a year ago, before Russia restricted gas supplies in response to Western sanctions for its invasion of Ukraine.

Meanwhile, international oil standard Brent crude BRN00, -2.82% was down 1.4% to $94.40 a barrel on Tuesday morning during London trading. U.S. oil benchmark West Texas Intermediate CL.1, -0.20% rose 1.3% to $87.99.

The market reaction comes as Siemens Energy has denied that it has been commissioned to carry out the maintenance work on the Nord Stream 1 pipeline despite a report from Reuters that Russia’s Gazprom will not resume shipments until Siemens repairs the faulty equipment."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/natural-gas-prices-slide-amid-gazprom-and-siemens-energy-clash-over-nord-stream-1-maintenance-11662456612?mod=mw_quote_news

Ok, so what does this mean?   Prices are not the same thing as availability.  

nan said:

So you don't think Europe is actually facing a serious energy emergency?   Even Germany?  

Just trying to clarify. 

of course it’s an emergency! But their leaders are already working on subsidies to offset the costs this winter. They won’t be sitting around watching Jimmy Dore telling them to go get iodide pills and searching for firewood. 
This too shall pass. 

Jaytee said:

nan said:

So you don't think Europe is actually facing a serious energy emergency?   Even Germany?  

Just trying to clarify. 

of course it’s an emergency! But their leaders are already working on subsidies to offset the costs this winter. They won’t be sitting around watching Jimmy Dore telling them to go get iodide pills and searching for firewood. 
This too shall pass. 

It's supposed to go on for years.  How will they afford that keep Ukraine afloat.  Also, it's one thing to control prices but in some countries, they just don't have enough gas at any price.  

And your joke about Jimmy Dore falls flat because the government of Poland did tell people to go out and search for firewood.  

https://www.euronews.com/my-europe/2022/06/03/poles-told-to-gather-firewood-amid-soaring-energy-prices

Jimmy Dore is no joking matter.. 

Jaytee said:

Jimmy Dore is no joking matter.. 

Nice try. 

nan said:

cramer said:

This surprised me - I guess that's why I'm not an energy trader (although I've  known some.)  Natural gas prices fell on Tuesday -  I thought they would be up today in the face of Gazprom's indefinite shutdown of Nord Stream 1. Oil prices have also fallen. 

"Natural gas prices fell sharply on Tuesday amid reports of a continued clash between Russia’s Gazprom and Germany’s Siemens Energy ENR, 3.04%.

European natural gas benchmark, the Dutch TTF future, dropped 10.7% to 219.6 euros per megawatt hour. U.K. natural gas futures for October fell 13.5% to 400 pence per therm. Both contracts remain many multiples higher than prices seen a year ago, before Russia restricted gas supplies in response to Western sanctions for its invasion of Ukraine.

Meanwhile, international oil standard Brent crude BRN00, -2.82% was down 1.4% to $94.40 a barrel on Tuesday morning during London trading. U.S. oil benchmark West Texas Intermediate CL.1, -0.20% rose 1.3% to $87.99.

The market reaction comes as Siemens Energy has denied that it has been commissioned to carry out the maintenance work on the Nord Stream 1 pipeline despite a report from Reuters that Russia’s Gazprom will not resume shipments until Siemens repairs the faulty equipment."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/natural-gas-prices-slide-amid-gazprom-and-siemens-energy-clash-over-nord-stream-1-maintenance-11662456612?mod=mw_quote_news

Ok, so what does this mean?   Prices are not the same thing as availability.  

What it means is that when I got up this morning I expected natural gas prices to be through the roof because of events over the weekend. But they weren't. That's all it meant. 

eta - I should add that they are already through the roof. 

Nan talks about how we make Putin out to be evil. Well, Gazprom has just released a video that shows a worker throwing the switch off at Nord Stream 1, and London, Paris, Berlin and Brussels freezing over. It's the most evil thing I've seen in a long time.  

Of course he' s trying to stir up the people so that they'll have more protests. Nan will  be very happy. No Nan, the U.S. and EU are not responsible for this because of the sanctions. Putin is responsible for invading Ukraine. And yes, he is truly evil. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11185617/Gazprom-releases-sinister-video-showing-worker-turning-gas-supplies-Europe-freezing.html

Can’t get the Syrians on board to fight his dirty invasion, so he’s going to “lil Kim” to send troops..,Would be interesting to see how much money he’s paying for each North Korean soldier..could be 3 squares and a cot…

Nan is always saying that Russia is winning in Ukraine. No nan, Putin is using an energy war because he's not winning the military war. 

cramer said:

Nan is always saying that Russia is winning in Ukraine. No nan, Putin is using an energy war because he's not winning the military war. 

When they finally break the news to her she might end up with a nervous breakdown. 
Just today alone Ukrainian soldiers liberated two towns. 

cramer said:

Nan talks about how we make Putin out to be evil. Well, Gazprom has just released a video that shows a worker throwing the switch off at Nord Stream 1, and London, Paris, Berlin and Brussels freezing over. It's the most evil thing I've seen in a long time.  

Of course he' s trying to stir up the people so that they'll have more protests. Nan will  be very happy. No Nan, the U.S. and EU are not responsible for this because of the sanctions. Putin is responsible for invading Ukraine. And yes, he is truly evil. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11185617/Gazprom-releases-sinister-video-showing-worker-turning-gas-supplies-Europe-freezing.html

I don't know the story behind that video but if you want to see evil, there is the old UK Prime Minister telling Zelensky not to negotiate peace or the new UK Prime Minister saying that global annihilation of the planet is something she is ready to do.  

The US started the ball rolling for this war, and the EU is keeping it going and it's that failed crazy neocon leadership that is to blame for this catastrophe. And it's all for Ukraine??????  A corrupt, Nazi-infested paradise for money laundering?  European politicians are saying they are ready to let the people who elected them freeze for that?  Must be a very big payoff for someone somewhere.  

Of course it will be blamed on Putin because none of these idiot politicians ever take responsibility for their actions and many seem to fall for the "It's Putin's fault" every time. I think the tide might be turning for the people in Europe who are finally waking up to how much they have been screwed. 

nan said:

Bernie Sanders would say "Yes" to that question.

You people are pathetic.

nohero said:

nan said:

Bernie Sanders would say "Yes" to that question.

You people are pathetic.

Really.

If Truss said she wouldn't, that would be more likely to precipitate a nuclear attack from someone else.

Pure stupidity.

It's unreal how low she is.   Disgusting.

nan said:

I don't know the story behind that video but if you want to see evil, ... the new UK Prime Minister saying that global annihilation of the planet is something she is ready to do.  

Are you really this dumb? Or are you just trolling?

What would your answer be?

It's stupid the way people are portraying Truss as someone who is ready to unleash a nuclear war. Listen carefully to what the person asking her the question is saying: "You're ushered into a room at 10 Downing St. and on the table are what are referred to as the letters of last resort. Would you push the button telling the captain of the Triton to unleash a nuclear weapon the button? I know that I would push the button. But how would you feel? " He then goes on to say how he would feel.  Truss says it would be her duty as Prime Minister. 

"One of Liz Truss’s early tasks will be to write instructions by hand to each of Britain’s four nuclear submarine commanders, directing them how to respond in the event of an all-out attack that will have killed her and destroyed the UK. They are known as the letters of last resort."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/06/letters-of-last-resort-pms-early-task-to-write-to-uks-nuclear-sub-commanders

This is what Dave DeCamp said when he posted the video clip: 

"Liz Truss will be the next British prime minister. She told a town hall recently that she's 'ready' to launch a nuclear war."

That's not at all what Truss said. DeCamp has falsely accused Truss of being ready to launch a nuclear war - and people like nan are more than willing to believe him.

cramer said:

It's stupid the way people are portraying Truss as someone who is ready to unleash a nuclear war. Listen carefully to what the person asking her the question is saying: "You're ushered into a room at 10 Downing St. and on the table are what are referred to as the letters of last resort. Would you push the button telling the captain of the Triton to unleash a nuclear weapon the button? I know that I would push the button. But how would you feel? " He then goes on to say how he would feel.  Truss says it would be her duty as Prime Minister. 

"One of Liz Truss’s early tasks will be to write instructions by hand to each of Britain’s four nuclear submarine commanders, directing them how to respond in the event of an all-out attack that will have killed her and destroyed the UK. They are known as the letters of last resort."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/06/letters-of-last-resort-pms-early-task-to-write-to-uks-nuclear-sub-commanders

She is a moron.   She should have handled that question better.  She is a neocon warhawk and woefully ignorant of basic geography related to parts of the world where she has major influence. 

Truss error is proof West doesn't understand Ukraine conflict: Kremlin

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-cites-truss-error-evidence-west-doesnt-understand-ukraine-conflict-2022-02-11/

And of course you take Russia's side as gospel.   You are such a dope.

nan said:

She is a moron.   She should have handled that question better.  She is a neocon warhawk and woefully ignorant of basic geography related to parts of the world where she has major influence. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/kremlin-cites-truss-error-evidence-west-doesnt-understand-ukraine-conflict-2022-02-11/

How would you have answered the question? (he asks again)

And you must have really dug deep to find that nonsensical Reuters story.

Also, is there any Western leader that is not a neo-con warhawk? Maybe buddy-boy Orban I guess. He's just an authoritarian fascist so I guess he gets a pass..

cramer said:

This is what Dave DeCamp said when he posted the video clip: 

"Liz Truss will be the next British prime minister. She told a town hall recently that she's 'ready' to launch a nuclear war."

That's not at all what Truss said. DeCamp has falsely accused Truss of being ready to launch a nuclear war - and people like nan are more than willing to believe him.

sbenois said:

And of course you take Russia's side as gospel.   You are such a dope.

That was a Reuters article.  I'm taking Reuters side. Liz Truss is a dope and she might be worse than Boris Johnson, who I thought was the benchmark for stupid. 

Did you read the article right to the end?

Everything you do is slanted by your love for Putin and his caviar.   You're disgusting.

sbenois said:

Did you read the article right to the end?

Everything you do is slanted by your love for Putin and his caviar.   You're disgusting.

Of course I read the end.  I also predicted it.  Notice it's from "a source."   Not named.  It's Reuters.  They know what side their bread is buttered on.  The blame everything on Russia side. Don't you get tired of that?  Evidently not. 

I give them credit for publishing it at all. 

Question: does Putin give out dental floss during the big caviar and cracker parties or do you have to bring it yourself?  I'd like to think that he gives it out because he's a pretty thoughtful guy in between the brutal invasions and the tossing enemies out the hospital window thing.   

sbenois said:

Question: does Putin give out dental floss during the big caviar and cracker parties or do you have to bring it yourself?  I'd like to think that he gives it out because he's a pretty thoughtful guy in between the brutal invasions and the tossing enemies out the hospital window thing.   

He seems to have a lot of free parties in your brain.  Maybe you can get Nordstream I flowing again through there and save the European economy.  Make yourself useful. 

nan said:

According to the article, Lavrov asked Truss about two places in Russia. Even in Russia's version, Truss was mistaken and assumed they were in Ukraine.

Question - Why would Lavrov ask Truss a question about two places in Russia? For what purpose would they be part of the discussion? 

Maybe Truss was too "trussting", and assumed that Lavrov would engage in a good-faith discussion, instead of a "gotcha" game.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.