Richard Meier offers to design for PO site

dave said:

To clarify, I was responding to author's comment as to why MVA wasn't asked to comment on the Station House, not the PO property.

Interestingly enough, since I live where I do I could qualify as a member of the Village Alliance.

I only know that longstanding members of the Village Alliance felt strongly that they should have been consulted on matters pertaining to the Station House Apartment. They were not.

author said:

While you are in the real world ask any member of the Village Alliance how much they were
consulted in matters pertaining to the building of the Station House Apartments.

Yes the Village Alliance is fully tuned in to the current situation. They were practically ignored
in matters concerning the other building.

I did not comment on the Village Alliance being involved with the Station House. I didn't claim they were. I haven't heard anyone (including any member of the Township Committee) say that they were. Everyone knows they weren't.

I was commenting on the ongoing planning and participation with respect to the redevelopment of the post office site. Nobody should infer, imply, or suggest that my comment was about anything else.

author said:

I only know that longstanding members of the Village Alliance felt strongly that they should have been consulted on matters pertaining to the Station House Apartment. They were not.
But that's not a reason to stop redevelopment at the post office site, with a new building.

There are very few that would argue that mistakes were not made with the station house. That is something that people on all sides of the PO debate can agree on.

@Author, can't you see that whether or not the MVA was involved with the Station House development HAS NOTHING to do with your argument against the PO development. You complain about actions and decisions of the TC every chance you get. Sometimes it looks like you (and others at OH NO) have an axe to grind and maybe have personal issues with the TC that have nothing to do with the PO. It causes people to take some of the objections to the PO with a great big grain of salt. Insulting people who have volunteered their time for years ( even if you stronglyl disagree with them) by saying they have no taste or imagination, or subtly calling them names or implying that they are not honest or on the up and up gets you no where. It hurts your cause.

The fact that the MVA was not involved with Station House weakens your argument.

It seems like the powers that be have learned from their mistakes, and now the MVA is not only involved in the PO but there is a specially designated committee( with several noted local architects) who will oversee the design.

Looks to me like the TC is really doing their best. Try to find ways to work constructively with those you disagree with. Try to understand the meaning of Compromise. Deal with issues with authenticity and honesty. It gets you a lot farther.

Sarah..............let me go off the beaten path for a bit.

The fact of the matter is that as much as we here on MOL can and will debate the the matter of of what if anything will be built is sort of an ego trip on all our parts.

Even if I and my compatriots were to argue overwhelmingly and logically that the Post Office should be retrofitted or we should build a statue of John Lennon somewhere on the grounds............it would not matter.

MOL is sort of a court of Public Opinion. It is useful to express opinions, find lost pussy cats, give advice about computers or tax matters...........but no more.

The TC reads MOL as individuals, we know that . Whether they are swayed by any arguments is
highly questionable.

Let me go back to the Station House Apartments. Opposition to them being built where they are was very strong. I was not involved but I am told over 1000 people signed petitions. Very large
numbers of citizens turned up at TC meetings to speak against the apartments.

No one, I am told spoke for them. And this is all at TC meetings.

And what was the result. We all know.

So as much as we try to pile on facts, and I am among the busiest who does this.............we are talking to our selves.............no more no less.

Do any of us really influence the TC..........I doubt it.

But both sides will continue..........till either the first shovel breaks ground............
or that Statue gets built.

author said:

dave said:

To clarify, I was responding to author's comment as to why MVA wasn't asked to comment on the Station House, not the PO property.

Interestingly enough, since I live where I do I could qualify as a member of the Village Alliance.

So? They are now regarding the PO. That they weren't for the SH should be (and I believe is) utterly irrelevant.

Seems that people have publicly conceded that mistakes were made at the Station House, and a new process has been implemented to not repeat them.

“Mistakes were made at the Station House,” [said Mayor DeLuca]. As a result the township made sure the Planning Board and the Design Review Committee had to approve all design elements [on the P.O. redevelopment], and the developer made considerable changes to the building as a result of public input. - Village Green

And the MVA has established a subcommittee fully dedicated to reviewing design proposals for the P.O. site.

I'd think that reasonable people would argue that is significant progress in the right direction.

ctrzaska said:

author said:

dave said:

So? They are now regarding the PO. That they weren't for the SH should be (and I believe is) utterly irrelevant.

Although not an elected body , elements of the Village Alliance serve a function as a check and balance mechanism . That they were ignored in the discussion of the Station House Apartments
is hardly irrelevant.

And yes, now they are very much involved.

author said:

ctrzaska said:

author said:

dave said:

Although not an elected body, elements of the Village Alliance serve a function as a check and balance mechanism. That they were ignored in the discussion of the Station House Apartments
is hardly irrelevant.

And yes, now they are very much involved.

But how is it relevant to the PO? You still haven't made a case for that in the least, merely retreading issues from the past. Why is that relevant NOW? No MVA oversight? The TC corrected this with regard to the PO, though they assuredly did not HAVE to include their approval. But they did. Is there something else I'm missing?

What or who is the MVA and who elected them?
We elect a TC to run the Town. If they want to consult one private group or another that is their business.
If you don't like the decisions of the TC, well there is an election every year for TC members.

Suppose the MVA comes up with an idea I think is horrible. What do I do about it?

LOST said:

We elect a TC to run the Town. If they want to consult one private group or another that is their business.
If you don't like the decisions of the TC, well there is an election every year for TC members.

Suppose the MVA comes up with an idea I think is horrible. What do I do about it?

The MVA did come up with an idea a few years ago that was horrible. They got the TC permission to place their own Bulletin Board in Maplewood Village. No problem there............however they arbitrarily removed the real Maplewood Community Bulletin Board and it was exiled to the Public Works Building.

The real board is open to all for placements of notices, little Mary Johnson who wants to baby sit for your kids, "Ralph's Economy plumbing" etc.

The MVA board is covered with glass and has 6 locks on it to allow only approved notices.

So anyway the initial charge was led by Monster who advocated attacking the Castle with Pitchforks etc.
I wrote more than a few pieces for MOL but then was joined by Paul Sorovel....sp.

Paul is a respected member of the Community. I am not. Eventually he pointed out that we were
publishing as good cop, bad cop type of argument.

In time the Mayor met with Paul and asked if the spot where the board now stands would be an acceptable placement. Paul contacted me...........we took all of about 2 minutes and decided , Yes the spot was good.

As to what the MVA is, better you should check a good reference on that. I know it is open to all merchants and residents of the Village. They make decisions like the type of awnings acceptable and various things like that. I am sure there is more but I can't speak with any authority on that.

Oh yea..........you asked "what do you do about a horrible idea they might come up with"?
Ask Monster, what do I know?

LOST said:

This. Geez.

My understanding is that the MVA has some input regarding design and scale reacting to proposals presented by the developer. It's not accurate to suggest their role is to "come up with ideas."

Correct, apple44.
As I understand it, the PODRS reviews the design and suggests (demands?) improvements to the developer/architect. Only when the PODRS is satisfied that the project can move on to the next phase will the PODRS make a positive recommendation to the MVA. The MVA will then mull it over and make a recommendation to the planning board, who will then do the same to the TC. No one in that chain is coming up with new ideas for anything, they are just reviewing and suggesting adjustments to make the project better, within the framework of the already approved Redevelopment plan. 

So, let me get this straight. Richard Meier made some offhand comments about the post office site in March that got the Village Keeper crowd all excited. Later, one of them claimed to have an email from Meier in which he 'offered to design something for the site', and that was described as a "game changer"..... So then, in reality, what was offered was a one hour consultation with the project architect, and subsequently Meier is refusing to speak to anyone about it. From the V.G. April 22.."We agreed that any future comments by Mr. Meier about the proposed project will come from him"... and from the V.G yesterday "The Village Green reached out to Meier after the meeting, but a representative said Meier was unable to comment further".... Wow, how underwhelming. Meier disappeared almost as fast as the mystery man who was gonna pay $1.8mm for the site. (Edited to add - this is not a criticism of Mr. Meier...IMO he got ambushed into this conversation, and offering a one-hour consultation was probably the most graceful way out)

Well tonight is the night.............bring the popcorn and don't be stingy with the butter

The public will probably get the most comprehensive look at the proposed new building  from the builder himself.

Time to stand and deliver.....................

http://villagegreennj.com/towns/government/maplewood-post-house-design-plan-agenda-may-6-meeting/

ice said:

So, let me get this straight. Richard Meier made some offhand comments about the post office site in March that got the Village Keeper crowd all excited. Later, one of them claimed to have an email from Meier in which he 'offered to design something for the site', and that was described as a "game changer"..... So then, in reality, what was offered was a one hour consultation with the project architect, and subsequently Meier is refusing to speak to anyone about it. From the V.G. April 22.."We agreed that any future comments by Mr. Meier about the proposed project will come from him"... and from the V.G yesterday "The Village Green reached out to Meier after the meeting, but a representative said Meier was unable to comment further".... Wow, how underwhelming. Meier disappeared almost as fast as the mystery man who was gonna pay $1.8mm for the site. (Edited to add - this is not a criticism of Mr. Meier...IMO he got ambushed into this conversation, and offering a one-hour consultation was probably the most graceful way out)

Funny, all that. In Meier's defense he is on vacation, and so couldn't comment further, but offering up a one-hour chat vs designing the thing is a HUGE difference.  What cannot be overlooked in all this was the immediate response of the TC, though I'm sure some will still somehow repeat the tired canard about them not being responsive.  Wait for it.

Did we really need to revive every single PO thread this afternoon?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.