Rescue Squad Update

Uh, anyhow, yeah - what's it cost to engrave a brick? Just wondering.

I sure know it is not first of kind (I guess I should have emphasized my sarcastic tone). Also, I am sure of that this adventure involves tax payer's money but what puzzles me is that how come some still think (substitute "think" with "believe" if more appropriate) new rescue squad building does not involve tax payer's money. Why our administration agrees to sell public property with the terms which will cost the tax payer more in the long run? Unearned tax revenue is money out of tax payers' pockets. A payment in lieu of taxes is not a "donation". It is enriching a corporation's profits by stealing from public.
In regards to tenants with kids tapping into the school system without paying taxes, don't you worry; I am paying their shares already with no kids in school, actually no kids at all but about $12,000/year since I've been here. If they also paid their shares, either I had to pay less or the dedicated to teach teachers did not have to pay for supplies using their own money.
Yes, this "adventure" costs out of pocket money to tax payers.

SORescue said:

While it may be a bit late to make this request... please try and keep the political back and forth and debates on the other threads related to this topic. This thread was meant to provide updates on the project's progress, which get a bit hard for people to find when they get buried.

Thanks,

Dan

Rescue squad was on the executive session agenda last night. Anyone know why and what may have been discussed? Since its no longer a village project one had to wonder why the continued secrecy in executive session.

In open session the communication upgrades were discussed, and the rescue squad is involved in that.

Yes I saw that but it was also on the agenda for executive secret session.

Because it involved contract negotiations.

Thanks but if the village isn't involved why is the village involved?

The construction of the building is no longer a village project but the firehouse lot where it will be built is still currently owned by the village. We have asked the town for clarification on some legal issues related to closing on the lot and building there.

Dan

@sorescue @fitzhume

Any update on the status of the new Rescue Squad building? Do you have an updated timeline for the construction? (i.e., when we can expect to see a groundbreaking and when the building could be done)

I know it is frustrating to be dealing with your temporary facilities and I am sure you want to get out ASAP. But, as you know, the Village is paying "rent" each month for temporary facilities so the schedule is important to us, too. Thanks!

Hi Michael,

We are waiting to appear before the South Orange Planning Board, which should occur in the next few weeks. The plans are being sent out this week to four different builders, and they will each take 3 to 4 weeks to review them and place bids on doing the construction. The plans are also being submitted to the S.O. building dept for approvals, permits, etc. If all goes well with all of the above things, we hope to be able to start construction in September or October. We won't have a definite timeline until we get Planning Board approval and have hired the builder, but I will update everyone when that happens.
It is indeed frustrating to be in our temporary facilities and we would like to be able to build and move into our new home ASAP, but it is a slow process.

Thanks,

Dan

Is it too late to consider a new location? Now that the JAC is vacating, seems to be a pretty good location for the new squad, no?

Good idea, albeit ironically steps from Torpey's initial location.

Instead of spending $1M on new construction, the SORS can buy that building from whoever now owns it, and spend a fraction of the money to adaptively re-use it. Or, the owner could lease it to the squad.

Yes, it is too late. That area was also one of the original sites chosen as possible locations but the BOT at the time did not want us housed there. I was not Captain of the Rescue Squad at that time (and it was before the town had turned the project over to us) so I don't know what the reasons were... but locating the Rescue Squad on Walton Road was shot down.

Update on the progress of the building project: It has been approved by the Planning Board and the plans have been submitted to the South Orange building and engineering departments for review, approvals and permits.

We have sent the plans to construction companies which are currently submitting bids/ proposals to do the work. The proposals are due back to us next week. We will then select the company to do the work and we hope to begin construction next month.

Thanks,

Dan

Too bad - could have saved you boat loads of money

A location on Walton was one of the original sites for the Rescue Squad that was chosen unilaterally by Torpey. By the time the BOT found out, plans were already being drawn up by an architect and Torpey said there were no alternative locations. Once the neighbors found out, they were quite upset at the prospect of the trees being torn down and ambulances coming/going across from their homes. Ultimately, the location was rejected by the BOT.

@SoRescue / Dan - I know that the PB gave some pretty specific feedback about revising the design of the building, but granted "conditional approval" anyway. Can you post a picture of the revised design?

That design left a lot to be desired. Does the village have final design say, or was that given away by our cracker jack legal team?

@SoRescue / Dan - I know that the PB gave some pretty specific feedback about revising the design of the building, but granted "conditional approval" anyway. Can you post a picture of the revised design?

The plans submitted to the planning board were at 90% completion, with the final 10% left to be finalized together with the builder. The additional changes that came out of the planning board meeting will be included within that 10%, along with other last-minute details that can not be finalized until we sit down with the builder and work out the specifics of certain items. (So there are no updated drawings).

To update everyone on the current status of the project, we received proposals from various builders this week and are currently reviewing them before we select one to move forward with. There will then be a few weeks of finalizing the contracts and waiting for permits, etc and we plan to begin construction in October.

We will also be announcing a fundraising project within the next week or so that will offer residents and businesses the chance to support the construction of the building buy buying an engraved brick or tile which will become a permanent part of the building. (The tiles will be inside the front entrance-way and the bricks outside of the building on the walkway). There will also be an engraved plaque placed outside of the building recognizing those who make substantial contributions towards the construction.

Look for more info on this soon.

Dan

A fund raiser??

I propose that the BOT step up to the plate and provide 100% funding. They got you into this mess; let them and the tax payers get you out of it.

To balance the books, I propose that the work on Village Hall be switched to a program run by the South Orange Historical and Preservation Society, and be funded by fundraising projects.

Let the BOT take that dime off the tax payer back.

The staff at Village Hall is doing pretty well in the cheaper and modern digs that they are in.

Just talking out loud.

Later, Da
George

I'll be happy to donate to the fundraiser and think it's smart for the SORS to solicit private donations from the community instead of going to the Village government for money. They don't need the political firestorm (if only on MOL) that will result from that request. If they need to go to the Village eventually, so be it, but community fundraising feels like the right thing to do at this point.

SORS is a well-run organization with a lot of hard-working volunteers that deserves our additional support, if we're able.

I'll be happy to listen to the reasons for a fundraiser, and possibly add to the amount I already give annually.

I would absolutely agree with mbaldwin that community fundraising is the right place to go first for any additional funds needed.

I agree with m & s, though I think the village should immediately write a check for the amount that was squandered while we were "managing" the construction.

What about the developer of the old site?

Its not the BOT that caused this financial fiasco, it is Torpey and his ignorance of how to negotiate.

scottgreenstone said:

Its not the BOT that caused this financial fiasco, it is Torpey and his ignorance of how to negotiate.

While Torpey and his know it all attitude can share plenty of the blame, the redevelopment attorney did not do his job properly. As we know, there is video to prove it.

It seems from a recent rescue squad tweet the $1MM from the developer is not enough and they are trying to raise the additional funds on Crowdera

There is a flier at cait and abby's asking for funds. I believe its via selling bricks. It says projected shortfall is estimated to be $100,000. I am not familiar with the Redevelopment Attorney issue. Did not do his job properly? == malpractice? Malpractice = possible settlement. What does the video show?

Here's the link to the fundraising page: https://crowdera.co/project/south-orange-rescue-squad-new-headquarters-building-project

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Help Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!