Random landscapes

My favorite tree in town 

oots said:

My favorite tree in town 

I almost turned around the other day to take a picture of it - on Kendall - close to E Cedar - right?  When the late afternoon light hits it just right it's amazing.

jamie said:

I almost turned around the other day to take a picture of it - on Kendall - close to E Cedar - right?  When the late afternoon light hits it just right it's amazing.

yes-the leaves are starting to fall- their lawn then turns all yellow. I take pictures of this tree every year 

I love that tree. It's a Ginko or Ginkgo,one of the oldest living tree species. The leaves are fan-shaped and along with its seeds are used for medicine.

94B487A8-87B5-40ED-A018-C466AE04D60F.jpeg

AT LAST!!!

This is the image I tried to post repeatedly above.  Who knows what it’s going to look like here.

From a hike this morning - 11/18/21

From Frenchtown to Milford.  Starting with the last of the morning fog on the Delaware. 

Cliffs on the Penna side of the river.

Where can I go see an eagle in the wild? Thanks!!

hauscat said:

Where can I go see an eagle in the wild? Thanks!!

Never a guarantee on this because they are frequently in the air, looking for food.... or this time of year, looking for love.

but---

Forsythe Preserve, about 10 miles north of Atlantic City.

Reo Reservoir, about 10 miles northwest of Port Jervis, N.Y. This is the most likely place to spot an eagle. There are always one or two in trees or flying over. And there are usually volunteers to help you see them. 

I may have posted this already but there's a pair of bald eagles that show up at the Great Swamp.  You have to walk to the viewing stand at the end of the long boardwalk to the right from the parking lot where the boardwalks begin.  You need good binocs for a really good view because their tree is a good distance from the viewing stand.  I can't say they're there every day or in deep winter.

There are now probably 400 breeding pair of Eagles in N.J.  Many are in southern N.J., Pine Barrens Maurice River and that area. Others are along the Delaware. There is even a pair that are visible from the northern end of the Turnpike.

Simply, they prefer fish so you will find them along rivers, estuaries and even the Great Swamp.

The reservoir that I posted about above, it was winter, maybe 10 years ago. There were 29 Bald Eagles  lined up at the edge of an ice flow.  Adult Eagles stay near the nest. Juveniles will stay by the nest but also fly great distance to look for future home sites. 

A Penna. education center had a resident juvenile. It was spotted with its bird band at around 7 a.m. on a particular day. Around 2 p.m. on that same day, they got a call from the Audubon preserve in Wellfleet, Cape Cod. The same eagle was in a tree on the Cape.

What also amazes me is the power of the scopes that will allow someone to read the numbers on a bird band.

Part of our back yard here in the Quarry...

-s.

Not quite a landscape, but me, standing in front of the Phillipsburg “Ice Cave. It is about a 700 ft climb to reach the cave.

Sourlands mountains, Mercer County.

Tohickon Park, Pa.

This is one of my favorite hike sites.

Sourlands Preserve, Mercer County

S’mores, cider donuts and hot cider after a long hike with the club.

Black River, Chester, NJ.

in the dead of winter.

Boulder field and cave, Princeton, NJ.

this was formed from the Triassic Ice Age.

Frenchtown, 1/11

My feet are still cold.

Ice flow on the Delaware, 1/12.

Former mill in Bucks County, Pa.

Central Park, 1973...

-s.

SUNSET SANDPIPER

Taken while on vacation in SC. Lots of folks, like me, enjoying an evening stroll.  Suddenly there was a break in the crowds and I grabbed this single shot.

CFAA1121-F866-4675-8021-2CF19B423D11.jpeg

NYC skyline from Wehawken

From the top of the new museum 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.