Police, community crisis in Maplewood

yahooyahoo said:

Getting back to the original topic, I'm waiting for Mr. Cimino's lawsuit to be filed against the Town. It's inevitable.  Then we will be mired in litigation.

He's on paid leave of absence. To some that's called "vacation". What's he going to sue for, to get paid overtime for not working?

My guess is that there would be not a peep from Mr. Fields or anyone else if these issues were all resolved long ago instead of folks sticking their heads in the ground. He seems to be a lightning rod for your grievances. 

futureSenior said:

we were originally talking about Mr. Fields.. that was the connection between the two issues. the threat of lawsuits in both areas can lead to poor decision-making with unintended consequences.. whether it be the education or safety of the community.  Sorry, that you cannot have a civil discussion on these important issues.. 
annielou said:

Actually connecting this particular incident (a law enforcement matter)with deleveling (an education matter) is faulty logic at the very least. What the h*** in someone's mind does one have to do with the other? Very bizarre. Dumbed down indeed. And please don't explain. 

LOST said:

yahooyahoo said:

Getting back to the original topic, I'm waiting for Mr. Cimino's lawsuit to be filed against the Town. It's inevitable.  Then we will be mired in litigation.
He's on paid leave of absence. To some that's called "vacation". What's he going to sue for, to get paid overtime for not working?

It's paid administrative leave, which the TC said was a legally required procedural step before Cimino loses his job, which is the intended result.

My prediction is that he will sue for wrongful termination (or whatever is allowed under the union contract).

The TC made it clear he won't be back. It's going to get ugly before it's resolved.

DaveSchmidt said:

LOST said:

yahooyahoo said:

It's paid administrative leave, which the TC said was a legally required procedural step before Cimino loses his job, which is the intended result.

Unless there is a deal to pay him off (probably the cheaper option but definitely less savory) I agree that he will likely sue.

He's got nothing to lose by suing, even if he chooses to seek employment elsewhere.  In that case it may even guarantee it.  

Well, now we know what the price is to make him go away without suing:

1. Mr. Cimino will receive a payment of $49,479.85, representing his accumulated sick, vacation and personal time owed upon retirement. Such payment shall be by January 15, 2018.
  1. Mr. Cimino will receive a payment of $115,000 less federal, state and local taxes and other required withholdings by January 15, 2018.
  1. Mr. Cimino will receive a payment of $115,000 less federal, state and local taxes and other required withholdings by January 15, 2019.
  1. Mr. Cimino’s attorney, Cammarata, Nulty and Garrigan, L.L.C., will receive a payment of $15,000.

Plus a letter of recommendation!

https://villagegreennj.com/police-and-fire/maplewood-police-chief-retire-exchange-two-years-pay-letter-recommendation/

My guess is that he will start receiving a six-figure pension on January 1, 2018 as well.  A very tidy payout for leaving the Town with a huge mess.  It was probably a relatively inexpensive option for Maplewood.  If he had sued it would have cost more.

ska said:

Well, now we know what the price is to make him go away without suing:

1. Mr. Cimino will receive a payment of $49,479.85, representing his accumulated sick, vacation and personal time owed upon retirement. Such payment shall be by January 15, 2018.
  1. Mr. Cimino will receive a payment of $115,000 less federal, state and local taxes and other required withholdings by January 15, 2018.
  1. Mr. Cimino will receive a payment of $115,000 less federal, state and local taxes and other required withholdings by January 15, 2019.
  1. Mr. Cimino’s attorney, Cammarata, Nulty and Garrigan, L.L.C., will receive a payment of $15,000.

Plus a letter of recommendation!

https://villagegreennj.com/police-and-fire/maplewood-police-chief-retire-exchange-two-years-pay-letter-recommendation/

I volunteer to write the letter of recommendation.

Mr. Cimino will receive a letter acknowledging he had no formal disciplinary actions sustained against him during his tenure as Chief of Police

I'd hardly call that a "recommendation."  

ml1 said:

Mr. Cimino will receive a letter acknowledging he had no formal disciplinary actions sustained against him during his tenure as Chief of Police

I was referring to this letter:

"Mr. Cimino will receive a letter stating that he served with dedication and professionalism for 36 years"

ska said:

ml1 said:

"Mr. Cimino will receive a letter stating that he served with dedication and professionalism for 36 years"

yes, I missed that the first time.  Still not much of a recommendation.  It's acknowledging that he served a long time and never actually had any disciplinary charges.  

It's pretty much what you'd expect out of a settlement like this.  The township will agree not to disparage him, and he'll agree to the same against the township.

And in return the Town gets a sh#t sandwich and he gets almost $300k.

ml1 said:

ska said:

ml1 said:

yes, I missed that the first time.  Still not much of a recommendation.  It's acknowledging that he served a long time and never actually had any disciplinary charges.  

It's pretty much what you'd expect out of a settlement like this.  The township will agree not to disparage him, and he'll agree to the same against the township.

Well the flip side is very much that if you do not reach a settlement, you get sued:

"MAPLEWOOD, NJ - Former Maplewood Police Captain Joshua Cummis, who recently retiredfollowing outrage over police actions following the July 5, 2016, fireworks, is suing the Township claiming he was wrongly suspended last month prior to his retirement and not given due process.

The lawsuit, filed in Essex County Superior Court on August 31, 2017, preceded the Township Committee’s approval on September 5 of a $37,000 retirement package for Cummis."

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/soma/articles/suspended-maplewood-police-captains-lawsuit-clai

Maybe I'm missing something but why would the TC agree to the retirement package without some legal agreement that Cummis could not sue?

ska said:

Well the flip side is very much that if you do not reach a settlement, you get sued:

"MAPLEWOOD, NJ - Former Maplewood Police Captain Joshua Cummis, who recently retiredfollowing outrage over police actions following the July 5, 2016, fireworks, is suing the Township claiming he was wrongly suspended last month prior to his retirement and not given due process.

The lawsuit, filed in Essex County Superior Court on August 31, 2017, preceded the Township Committee’s approval on September 5 of a $37,000 retirement package for Cummis."

https://www.tapinto.net/towns/soma/articles/suspended-maplewood-police-captains-lawsuit-clai

Anyone who considers hiring him has Google at their disposal.

yahooyahoo said:

Maybe I'm missing something but why would the TC agree to the retirement package without some legal agreement that Cummis could not sue?
ska said:

Tapinto is not the best journalism. It is possible that the Sept 5 approval means that the August 31 filed suit will not proceed.

what would your solution have been?  

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

ska said:

ml1 said:

Just commenting on how ridiculous the situation is.  The police chief oversees the use of police brutality and in return he gets to retire with full benefits and almost a $300k bonus.  

ml1 said:

what would your solution have been?  
yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

ska said:

ml1 said:

yeah, due process rights are a *****.

So the fact that at one point he got a 100% vote of no confidence from the officers under him means nothing...

ml1 said:

We should all be so lucky to receive this type of due process  when we are fired.

It means some town with a homogenous population who are skittish of blacks, browns and gays will eventually hire him. 

Scully said:

So the fact that at one point he got a 100% vote of no confidence from the officers under him means nothing...

yahooyahoo said:

ml1 said:

We should all be so lucky to receive this type of due process  when we are fired.

large, reputable companies typically do buy out employees they let go in return for a promise not to sue.  Sometimes even when those employees are accused of unethical behavior.

joan_crystal said:

Count me among those wanting additional information before passing judgement on any of the various sides of this issue.  I am especially interested in what the independent consultants determine after completing their investigation and I am willing to wait the promised two months to learn of their findings.

The report is out. See jamie's link below.

Thanks,Jamie. That's is quite a complete report.

Yes, very thorough and interesting report. Seems to put pretty much all the blame on the autocratic and misguided chief, and then to a lesser extent, the dysfunctional in the MPD that resulted in everyone else being afraid to question the chief that night. 

I tried to stay away from this topic since I know both of these guys pretty well.

I was away when the story broke in August so I will admit to not knowing all the details but as I said, I do know these guys and worked with them for many of years.  Also in full disclosure my son is a cop in a very bad neighborhood.

I have never seen or heard any racial remarks or actions from either of them.  I am not justifying what transpired on the night in question but I can tell you I have witnessed firsthand unbelievable restraint in some very tense and racially anti-cop motivated events in town.  One of them was actually posted on YouTube years ago by the suspects showing them antagonizing the police.

I just think theses days the cops are portrayed as villains no matter what goes on.  Too many times you only get to see the video of the actions taking by the police and not what led up to those actions.  Again, I am not justifying the kicking of a kid who was already handcuffed and under control, that was completely over the line and disciplinary action was taken as it should have been.  

As for the report:  I look at it objectively.  Meaning this firm saw and heard the communities cry for action and knew what answers the TC was looking for so in my opinion they were a little bias.  

In any event moving forward I agree with having a civilian review board (that is fair).  But I would like to see it taken a step further, I would like to see the TC and the PD implement the ride along program.  This will give the residents a firsthand look at what goes on in a daily basis.  I think it would open a lot of eyes.  And don't mean on a slow day, I would love to see those screaming the loudest go on patrol with the police during events such as the fireworks, or just go by the high school as it lets out or to a Friday night football game where CHS plays Orange, East Orange, or Newark.

Watch how they show no respect to law enforcement and actually antagonize them knowing that they are filming their every move.  Yes, they are trained to deal with this kind of stuff but they are also human and by nature a human has a breaking point.

I recently went on a ride along with my son (Prince George County, Maryland on the DC border) and witness first hand the abuse they take.   His district is predominately black and just about every call we went on or stop we made he was told the reason he pulled them over was because they were black.  In one case, we went as back up to a stop and at 3:30 a.m. we had three bystanders filming us and asking if it was even legal to have 4 cars on the scene.  Not was it legal to have 9 separate containers of weed on the back seat, but was it legal to pull him over for driving with out head lights.  All the while being called pigs and racists for pulling him out of the car.

I had a chance to shoot the breeze with a bunch of the guys from his unit and I asked if they feared getting shot out there.  The overwhelming answer was "we didn't used to be, but now we have to wait until they draw and point at us first, leaving us at a major disadvantage."

Bottom line - there are bad cops and good cops, we as a society have no problem pointed out the bad ones but are a little slow pointing out the good ones.  And we never want to admit when the black person is in the wrong, or give a cop the benefit of the doubt for fear of being called a racist.  Such as some of you will say I am by this post, but those of you who truly know me know what I have done in the black community.

Until we can have an honest conversation without the fear of being called a racist or politically incorrect this problem will never be solved or even improved.

Here is the incident I was talking about in my last post.  What you didn't see was the mother hit the cop who was handcuffing her son.  All,you heard from the loud mouth was that they hit a woman.

Look at the title they put on the clip.  Makes them look like they are racists for arresting a black man and woman.  It doesn't mention that the neighbors (mostly black) requested extra patrol because of those residents.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.