Photos --- My first photo exhibit is at Millburn Public Library. Also, todays birding trip.

L.B.I. on a cold, winter night.

The ducks are just so darned cute.

There is something so wonderful in the beauty you are sharing here, jj and your sharing itself is wonderful; thank you so much!

I love the duck pictures. They are very well exposed and composed and the ducks are just plain beautiful.

I love your birds, but they are a bit out of focus. Why? They are very good and if they were totally sharp, they would be extraordinary. I am amazed that you find these birds, I never see many, and yours are always in the middle of being themselves. They seem to trust you. I urge you to solve the focus issue, and if you do, I think that you will be able to sell them.

They are out of focus because most of the birds are 1/4 + mile away and are moving. Some are moving slowly, bobbing in waves. Others are moving, 10 - 40 m.p.h. Depending on the bird, I have 3 to 5 seconds to take the camera in hand, focus on the bird and then take the photo. Then, there may be about 5 or 10 more seconds to actually take photos before the bird continues to fly off or dives for food.

Another reason for the focus issue is the translation from memory card to my computer to the M.O.L. server...than back to your computer screen. They lose clarity every time they are transferred.

The photos are somewhat better on my screen

I think they're fine!

Love the Maplewood churches in snow., too.

I was reading a review of lenses and another problem is that I am using a telephoto lens without a tri or monopod. It is hand held. The lens review said that when going above 300mm, it is best to use a base.

The ones above were shot at 1/1200.

Hand shake is the bane of my photographic existence. But I don't have the patience to use a tripod... it keeps you rooted to one spot for too long and is a PITA to carry around. I wonder if I should try a monopod?

The mono is more convenient. The whole thing is a problem when I am moving the camera 10 or 30 degrees to try to capture a bird in flight or in water before it dives for weeds. I use the mono when I am hiking with the group. With them, I am usually in the woods looking at small birds in trees. The mono stabilizes the image for the few seconds I get to look at a Warbler.

It is also easier to rest a heavy camera on a mono.

I like that idea, resting a camera on a pod of some kind to carry the weight. Once the lenses get larger, it's even more difficult to avoid hand shake. When we move, I will be in walking distance of a nice pond in central CT (Holbrook Pond) and am planning to spend a LOT of time there with my camera. The mono pod and a walking stick might become my best friends!

Love the last one. The wing pattern is just brilliant. One wonders, is it a plane, is it a dragon? And it seems as if the photographer was in the air right behind the duck.

He's in his breeding plumage and ready for action.

jerseyjack said:

He's in his breeding plumage and ready for action.

Good for him!

There's a mockingbird family near the South Orange train station that is ready, too. Up and singing at 6am... (I know they have a tendency to sing in the middle of the night, but that's when I go by.)

That last shot in flight is stunning! Love the tail feathers.

The iridescent sheen on that mallard's head is gorgeous---makes an everyday bird into a precious jewel

I have been working to get photos of feather sheen. Refer to my photo of the Bufflehead on page 17. This is available with the Sun angle in the late p.m.

More feather sheen as breeding plumage increases

Top Gun Training.

Or maybe they're trying out for the Blue Angels.

2nd one is of a winery in Warren County.

Love love LOVE your birds in flight!!!

Oh, the geese are WONDERFUL! But I also love the winery shot.

Something different to look at.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!