People who refuse to leash their dogs in Maplewood/S.O. parks archived

"I swear on my children, I am not trying to start a fight or minimize your son's fear, but as a responsible parent it is your job to teach your child that "running" from a dog is the worst possible reaction he could have, just as you teach him other safety rules like look both ways before you cross. Teach him to turn away, do not make eye contact, stand still and keep his arms crossed in front of him--worst case scenario drop on the ground, curl up in a ball and cover your head with your hands."

Nothing like having a safety meeting with your kid before going to the park.

How idiotic! Clearly you are missing the point on purpose in the hopes of starting another argument. Or perhaps your just not as smart as I might have given you credit for.

Since you missed it, the relevant point here is: "just as you teach him other safety rules like look both ways before you cross."

Meantheboys, perhaps you read what I wrote wrong. We are on the same page, I think it completely wrong that people let dogs run free in a public park.

I think what happened was, meandtheboys was pointing out the necessity of teaching kids safe behavior around dogs, and DEFCON was lamenting the sad fact of that necessity while agreeing that it does exist.

Thank you Lara, that was indeed what I was attempting to say.

The safety rule meandtheboys shared is relevant even if there were 100% compliance with the leash your dog rules in Maplewood Parks (oh and to the OP - dogs are NOT permitted at all in South Orange parks as far as I know).

Dogs jump fences, dogs run away and roam the streets. So I could not agree more with meand. Just as we teach our children age-appropriate safety lessons in traffic and stranger scenarios, so we should teach them this rule as well.

I am with Wendy - THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ASK OR SAY ANYTHING!!!!. This puts the burden on others to enforce the law.

From previous MOL notes on this thread, not all owners may be as kind as 4strings (and i would have been similarly upset with the lecturing she received), so some people may not wish to confront an owner and have an unpleasant experience.

Well, Defcon, considering your "history" you can understand how I might have misconstrued! :shamed:

A simple "I agree" probably would have been much clearer?

The other safety issue is touching or getting too close to a dog that you don't know. So many parents let their kids run up to strange dogs (leashed of course) to pet them and some dogs do not like that...they can growl, nip, etc. My kids know to stay at a safe distance and ask the owner if they can pet the dog first. This is a lesson all kids should know.

"Well, Defcon, considering your "history" you can understand how I might have misconstrued!"

Awww c'mon, little old me? :cool:

Posted By: mammabear

The other safety issue is touching or getting too close to a dog that you don't know. So many parents let their kids run up to strange dogs (leashed of course) to pet them and some dogs do not like that...they can growl, nip, etc. My kids know to stay at a safe distance and ask the owner if they can pet the dog first. This is a lesson all kids should know.

You don't know how many times people have let their little children run up to my dog and pet her WITHOUT asking first. I hate that. What amazes me is that it used to also happen when I was walking my rottie. Sure, she was a sweetie pie, and loved kids, but the parents didn't know that. About 50% of parents would see a rottie and grab their kids and run, 25% would ask first (no problem) and 25% would just let their kids approach my (leashed) dog without asking. My current dog is a little unsure around children. I don't know if they smell different than adults, or if it's because they're short, or what, but you can tell she's a little uneasy to be suddenly surrounded by 3 or 4 high pitched squealing kids at once. Please teach your kids to respect dogs. Ask the owner BEFORE approaching or petting a strange animal.

I might have missed something at some point but it occurs to me that laws aside, the issue of keeping you dog on a leash in public should be one of common courtesy and safety. I don't care if you have a dog the size of a squirrel or one the size of a horse, they can bite. He/she may be part of your family but that doesn’t mean they won't turn. If a kid is across the park riding a bike, or a dog is off a leash across the park, I am going to worry about the dog...especially if I am with my 16 month old daughter (tried teaching her the fundamentals of drop and curl into a ball, no success so far).

So my request to all dog owners: Keep your incredibility sweet dog on a leash when in a park, on a street etc. I have a daughter and steel toe boots.

robert...do yourself a favor and choose carefully who u ally yourself with! cheese

"So my request to all dog owners: Keep your incredibility sweet dog on a leash when in a park, on a street etc. I have a daughter and steel toe boots."

:thumbup:

"Keep your incredibility sweet dog on a leash when in a park" - nicely put.

Right on Robert 23.

" Would you want one of my kids to walk up to you and lick your legs?"

I love it. :clap:

Sk8Mom: agree with your post 100%.

Meand: you are right re. teaching our young children how to defend themselves against stray dogs. This is something I have not considered before.

I have, however, taught my son not to approach strange dogs without asking the owner first. I just wish I could teach some owners to restrain their leashed dogs from jumping on my son without asking my son first.

The thing about this thread (and yes i am addicted to it) is that no one is going to change their point of view. Think for a moment...is there anything anyone could say that is going to change YOUR point of view? So what makes you think anything you have to say will change theirs.

The only thing that MAY change your point of view is becoming the parent of a young child. My brother and sister in law have two "friendly" poodle mixes that my son is terrified of. Up until they had their first baby a year ago, bro and SIL could care less about my son's fear and rarely if ever put the dogs in another room or outside when we came to visit. Their standard response was the choice "oh, these sweeties? Their harmless. Don't be scared."

Subsequently, we stopped visiting them. Flash forward 1 year after having their baby and they have become very sympathetic of small children around their dogs. And now, they put their dogs in the yard or in another room when we come over until my son asks to play with the dogs. And then they reintroduce the dogs into the group very thoughtfully (knowing that they will surely be excited to come back in.)

activedreamer, my recommendation to teach dog safety rules was for ALL dogs, not just strays. There are people (as evidenced by another heated and active thread on this board) who own dogs that are not nice and my not be well contained.

And, not fer nuthin, but your bro and SIL sound downright rude to me (sorry!). The minute anyone objects to the presence of my dog, even if it is in my own home, he is removed and locked in a bedroom. I understand why you stopped visiting, but I think I would have had a "conversation" as well.

me it is easier said than done to teach your child not to run from dogs. They are driven by fear. The first time my son ran from a dog, his friend couldn't stop laughing. He kept saying to my son "if you stop running the dog isn't going to chase you!!" It was funny but of course I felt for my son. He is TERRIFIED of dogs. I have to physically hold him, and tell him not to run, and why. I have had the discussion several times, but it just doesn't sink in. I am hoping over time he gets better, and understands how to deal with his fear.

I completely understand red. It is a natural instinct and I totally feel for your son. However, ultimately if he is in the wrong place at the wrong time (which he will more than likely NEVER be) it could be the difference between staying safe or being very badly hurt or worse! I know you know this, and you will find a way to make him understand to keep him safe. Perhaps role playing, or acting out how to behave. The reason for fire drills is to familiarize ourselves with the things we need to do in the event of a real fire. So, fire drills demonstrating how to behave in the face of an approaching dog might be a good idea.

Also, you might look in to ways to work with him to get past this fear he has so the poor kid can relax. I'm happy to volunteer Buster as a therapy dog! Quite a few kids we know have gotten past their fear of him just by spending time.

me, what a great idea! If you are ever off to the park with Buster let me know. I'd love to give it a try. Jack has had a few breakthroughs, but not enough. We were walking the other day and a dog in a car barked. My son was so terrified he ran into the middle of Prospect; scared me half to death.

Turns out Buster tore a ligament in the knee of his back right leg, so we're not walking much lately. But if you guys would like to come over some time, and we can work on gradually acclimating your son to his presence (and he can see my boys with Buster), I'd be more than happy. I'm sure a glass or two of wine (or mojitos, or whatever) would be more than appropriate for the mommy's!

So far it's Buster, Calliope and Flying Char on the injured list in only the past 24 hours. Poor team MOL...

Scully,

Please add me, rookie member of MOL, to that list. I was on a business trip last Thursday and wanted to take a better photograph of the facility I was visiting. So, I climbed on a small rubble pile for a better shot. My trip down was much quicker, but required nine stitches to my left knee. The trip down resulted in the skin of the knee being torn down to muscle. I realize that my injury preceded your designated time slot, but it hurt the same. :cry:

OWIE, PhilC.

For the record, Buster's been limping for a while, but I thought it was just a sprain or something. Finally took him to the vet for a definitive diagnosis last week. We've been managing with anti-inflammatories and have seen some improvement. We're hoping to avoid surgery--for $2000-ish dollars on an 11-year-old dog--but I'm not sure what that will mean for our long walks around town in the future.

PhilC: Sorry! Sounds gruesome! Hope the shot was worth it (please tell me you got the shot).

Meand: Surgery!? Isn't it something that could heal on it's own if they were to cast it? Poor baby! But I think you're wise to hesitate at surgery at that age. The anesthesia and every thing becomes an issue too. Good luck!

Thanks Meand, it's actually getting better in a fairly short period of time. I just wanted some MOL sympathy. I hope that Buster gets better. Pet or not, when they have been with you that long, they become a friend. :peace:

Guess you didn't get the shot...

Thanks, Scully. I'll have to check. Pyschologically or not, I haven't bothered to look at the pictures. Maybe I'm trying to avoid flashbacks. One of the other guys took my camera and got some other photos as well. The knee has healed quickly, but I still limp up and down steps. Absolutely no sympathy shown from the young ladies however. Mrs. C will be happy with that.

Phil,
To quote a former POTUS "I feel your pain."
Nine stitches doesn't sound like very much fun. Glad to hear you are on the mend!

And meand---"OWIE" is a great word!:wink:
Feel better Phil,
Calli

Calli,

Thanks, whenever I do something stupid, it's that knee that takes the hit. I understand the knee may be filing secession papers soon.

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!