Observations of a beach badge seller/checker

Well-Thanks for the encouragement Peggy!

I will share my profits if you can put it all together for me...I am a good off the cuff writer I think but am way passed the time when I can clean it up and get it ready for print.  

Well-the book will not have the motel chapter in it.  I quit last night.  I was told on Monday night that the desk clerks screen guests-I am assuming that they mean for people who sound inebriated or perhaps look slovenly-until the owner's Mother said-no Muslims and their bedbugs.  My heart stopped for a moment-I remained composed and then had a heart to heart with myself...I cannot work in an environment like that.  

Horrifying, of course you did the right thing and distanced yourself from those type of people.

Ugh.  I'm so sorry you had to give up the job.  You did the right thing and I hope you land something more suitable.

Oh, my gosh. I am sitting here with my mouth hanging open now. I can't believe he said that. What a horrible, small person.

Not to mention a clear violation of the Civil Rights Act.  If you decide that it is worth the hassle, you may consider reporting it.

The saddest part for me is that I liked the owner-he and I got off to a great start-it is his Mother who said the dirty deed and I know he is not going to fire her.  Cannot believe in this country, in the north, that here is an attitude like this still.  I am thinking I am one naive child.  I did not "need" the job - just wanted to keep myself busy-am checking in to some volunteer opportunities after the holidays.  

I know what you mean. Bigotry is often extremely surprising. My in-laws say some things about other cultural groups that make my breath catch and my heart skip a beat, yet they are mostly nice, churchgoing, generous people. So it comes as a huge shock when one of them uses a racist or religious epithet. 

^ but they are religious so they get a pass, right? 

I think bogotry is a lack of experience with other cultures and based on fear. You can be religious within your own culture and still be fearful of others through naivety. They don't get a pass due to their being religious. They get the love you have for them because they don't know any better. Certainly uncalled for in a service industry. 

Yesterday my love and I took a stroll down the boardwalk at my beach.  My particular gate and benches are covered with sand-with snow under them....the boards will definitely be cleaned up by spring...however-kind of eerie in the winter.  Saw some of my summer peeps walking about and had good conversations-one thing never changes though-the magnificence of the ocean!!!  It was so calm and just beautiful yesterday...a good reminder that better weather is coming!  Looking forward to more tales from the boardwalk in just a couple of months......

bgs said:

Yesterday my love and I took a stroll down the boardwalk at my beach.  My particular gate and benches are covered with sand-with snow under them....the boards will definitely be cleaned up by spring...however-kind of eerie in the winter.  Saw some of my summer peeps walking about and had good conversations-one thing never changes though-the magnificence of the ocean!!!  It was so calm and just beautiful yesterday...a good reminder that better weather is coming!  Looking forward to more tales from the boardwalk in just a couple of months......

So looking forward to reading them!

Thanks for posting BGS.  You have such a way with words, I always enjoy reading your work.

I am also looking forward to your summer blog!

Went to my beach last weekend where a job fair was being held and insured that I have my job for coming summer.  Will be there the weekend before Memorial Day!!  Cannot wait.  Ciao!

Looking forward to reading your observations!

It is getting closer!  Got an email from beach manager asking us to update time off requests so he can get to work on scheduling.  I do not want anytime off!  I might miss something happening on my beach!  grin

biggest problem is going to be the construction at the off ramp from GSP, leading to Pt. Pls.

We are up and down the parkway all week long Jack- we get off at 91A and you can go right down Burnt Tavern Road to 88-hand a left and you go right into the souith end of PP-make a right onto Ocean and pick the beach of your choice.  

In less than a month I will be back on that beach!!!!  So excited!  

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

Kohr's custard !!!

+1   I will endure the lactose intolerance agony for just one cone......

Good news-the price of my beach is not going up according to a posting I read online today with all the beach prices.  Yea!!  See you all in two weeks unless we are swept out to sea with all this rain!  

Do senior citizens still get in for free, and do I get in for free because I know you??   Or will you let me in because my invisible friend in front of me paid for me?  Let the games begin!   LOLOLOLOL!  oh oh 

Dream on kiddo! Seniors have never been free at my beach and no one gets a discount...not even you.  They have a bracelet system and if you are caught on the beach without one you are banished and I get fired.  So, that ain't happening!  But, you are welcome to be a paying guest and I will share my biggest hello and smile!  ;-)

Silly, I was goofing on all those stories you told from last year with people trying to get past you!  But by now you're a pro.  I hope you get to meet all those nice people again who would buy you doughnuts and coffee.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Featured Events

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!