Observations of a beach badge seller/checker

BGS, a lot of magazines have a note on the masthead page (where the editors are listed and other information) that tells you how to submit pieces for consideration. A lot of this is done by email now, too. If you need help, PM me.

BGS, I've thoroughly enjoyed your observations throughout the summer. You've seen the good, the bad and the ugly; you have dealt with the latter two with grace and charm. I look forward to you returning to your post next season for more stories. Cheers--have a pleasant fall, winter and spring.

Thank you for sharing your shore life observations.

snake Well, as much as I enjoyed your postings this summer, I was kinda hopin' ta hear about August 15th. You said it's one for the books! Do tell! smile

Thank you! I've very much enjoyed reading your observations, and agree with others that they are publishing worthy!

Another strategy.... Send two or three of the posts to the magazine along with the point that a complete article is available if there is interest. Temp them with an offer to disclose the contents of the mysterious August 15th episode if they are interested in publishing.

PeggyC-I am messaging you...Jack-I cannot remember what the August 15th thing was because I lost some notes along the way....if I remember it I will post. I am sure at some point it will come to me.

Well-I did it, I will keep all advised! ciao, b

Oo! You found the directions and sent it? Gosh, that was fast!

Well- I sent a link to the editor and asked him where I should submit=he is out until Tuesday so we will see if I get a response! xo, b

If you make money off of this, I want a one day, free admission to the beach next summer. smile

I told the mag that I was not looking for money-you my friend, may come to the beach next summer courtesy of me! Would love to have visit Jack!! grin

I am back here to tell you that NJ Monthly wants me to turn my "blog" into a 500-600 word story to be posted on the What exit or something like that page....I am not enough of a writer to do that so I am going to let this blog go to sleep-maybe to be picked up next summer in another venue....Thanks for reading folks! beege

bgs said:
I am back here to tell you that NJ Monthly wants me to turn my "blog" into a 500-600 word story to be posted on the What exit or something like that page....I am not enough of a writer to do that so I am going to let this blog go to sleep-maybe to be picked up next summer in another venue....Thanks for reading folks! beege

I think you're underestimating yourself. Give it a try -- that's why they have editors, to help you fine-tune it!

I must politely disagree. You are enough of a writer to do that. Please re-consider. So many MOLers have enjoyed your posts, you clearly know how to tell a good story.

I disagree. You already have the text. Pick some out from the blog. begin by introducing yourself.. Maybe add a connection between the blog on M.O.L. And how it got to What Exit.

Add your stories, maybe along with one or two that you didn't post here. Or write something about interaction with fellow employees or a supervisor. The posts about guys hitting on you with gifts of food and drink are wonderful.

Close with something about your expectations for next summer.

They already like your "voice" - you don't need to be someone you are not. Go for it. I believe in you!!

You could introduce it as a microcosm displaying all of human nature, ranging from the silly ploys to get out of paying and rudeness to the sweet and kind gestures people made and the flirtations. Tell a couple of your favorite tales to illustrate each of those elements, with a sentence or two between them for smooth transitions. That's what I would do.

I'm happy to help you with a first draft (I'm a magazine editor) and then their editors should work with you to refine it for their needs.

Your fifteen minutes of fame thinks you can do it. Time to check the box on that. You have been offered plenty of free MOL editing help! Go for it. . . .Yeah!

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

.... The posts about guys hitting on you with gifts of food and drink are wonderful.

Of course, us Maplewood guys always knew you are a "hottie."

500-600 words: That's not a lot of words. However, as writers and editors well know, it's much harder to write short than it is to write long. So my recommendation is to take a list approach. That would be the easiest way to write this, I believe, and it would also enable you to highlight the best moments.

So, for example, you might have a couple of short introductory sentences leading into something along the lines of: "My Ten Most Memorable Moments as a Beach Badge Checker." Creating a list this way means you don't need to worry about paragraph transitions or chronology, and you can pick and choose content to suit your fancy.

Aww, come on! You HAVE to!

Pretty please?

Okay all-I have come up with a beginning thanks to a not MOL friend who has read my stuff...I will give it a shot and see where it lands. Stay tuned...

I went to my gate at the beach yesterday to check it out and we are going to be just fine for the coming summer....PP crews that work our beach were out in full force....a friend whose house is on the boardwalk by my gate sent me a picture of the before cleaning the sand was up over the boardwalk covering the benches-when I was there yesterday that was all cleaned off. It was a little chilly on that beach yesterday but seeing my ocean and the beautiful sand gave me hope that I will have lots of new tales for you in a few months! Happy October!

Okay- so  I miss writing this thread and thought to myself-what can I use for fodder for this thing?  I know said I!  I will get myself a winter job and then I can write about it.  

So................................I did.  I am a desk clerk in a beach motel about 1/2 mile from my summer post.  I will keep you updated on the happenings as I can.  Worked yesterday and there is so much to learn!!!  This is a really terrific family motel.  It is immaculate and very well run...I will stress again-a family motel.  Not for young singles looking for a weekend at the beach.

However, given my experiences this summer I am sure I will have some interesting stuff to tell you all.

Meanwhile, Happy Fall and Happy Thanksgiving!!

xoxo,

b

Hey bgs, glad you are back, I always enjoy this blog!

Yay.  I always look forward to reading about your adventures!

Thanks emmie!!  I will try and keep you entertained!!  grin

Hah! You are going to have a book when all this is done! smile

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Featured Events

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!