Reporting from my basement: Politics and pandemic, a deadly duo

Those are informative charts. Note, however, that the latest solid data point is for June 11, and that the point is based on the previous 10 days of data. Since the first protests in Minneapolis were May 26, nearly all of that data is from a time before Covid-19 symptoms would be expected to appear.

ml1 said:

Tulsa County in Oklahoma however currently has an infection rate described as "unsustainable."  Trump is likely to kill a lot of his followers this weekend.

https://covidactnow.org/us/ok/county/tulsa_county_wagoner_county?s=53768

That's not completely the point, Attendees at his Rally may become infected and then go home and spread it to family members, co-workers, neighbors. 

The Governor of Florida once announced a quarantine of people arriving from New York. Shouldn't a State be able to quarantine people returning from a Trump rally in another State? 

DaveSchmidt said:

Those are informative charts. Note, however, that the latest solid data point is for June 11, and that the point is based on the previous 10 days of data. Since the first protests in Minneapolis were May 26, nearly all of that data is from a time before Covid-19 symptoms would be expected to appear.

this is not entirely so.

Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus.  
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html

STANV said:

That's not completely the point, Attendees at his Rally may become infected and then go home and spread it to family members, co-workers, neighbors. 

The Governor of Florida once announced a quarantine of people arriving from New York. Shouldn't a State be able to quarantine people returning from a Trump rally in another State? 

no, it's not entirely the point.  But having the rally in Tulsa, OK is a particularly bad location.  People entering that arena have a higher chance of encountering an infected person in Tulsa than in a lot of other places around the country.

Posted this in another thread:

For those who don't like charts, from the WSJ:

Early Data Show No Uptick in Covid-19 Transmission From Protests

Public health experts say preliminary test results are encouraging; outdoor locations and masks may have helped

Early coronavirus testing data from a handful of U.S. cities and states suggest that recent protests against racial injustices haven't yet led to a marked uptick in new cases. Public-health officials warn that the data is still preliminary, however, and protest-related cases could still rise.

While it's not a final conclusion yet, the concern trolling over the protests appears to be an overreaction.

ml1 said:

Posted this in another thread:

For those who don't like charts, from the WSJ:

Early Data Show No Uptick in Covid-19 Transmission From Protests

Public health experts say preliminary test results are encouraging; outdoor locations and masks may have helped

Early coronavirus testing data from a handful of U.S. cities and states suggest that recent protests against racial injustices haven't yet led to a marked uptick in new cases. Public-health officials warn that the data is still preliminary, however, and protest-related cases could still rise.

While it's not a final conclusion yet, the concern trolling over the protests appears to be an overreaction.

Don't forget: protests were OUTDOORs and many were WEARING MASKS. From a scientific viewpoint it would be interesting to put a test case together with thousands of people INDOORS and NOT WEARING MASKS, but how would you find volunteers for that?

basil said:

Don't forget: protests were OUTDOORs and many were WEARING MASKS. From a scientific viewpoint it would be interesting to put a test case together with thousands of people INDOORS and NOT WEARING MASKS, but how would you find volunteers for that?

tell them it's a chance to own the libs. 

ml1 said:

basil said:

tell them it's a chance to own the libs. 

Brilliant!

Bad news. Why being a police officer in cities like Seattle is helpless to do do his job. The problem is with our elected officials — not law enforcement. 

KOMONews “Seattle is Dying” YouTube— 

Sorry the link didn’t work. Quite a realistic take on what’s going so wrong in many cities.

edited to add. It worked, slowly.

KOMO news. Sinclair Broadcasting. Worse than Foxnews.

You sure can pick 'em. No wonder you're so mixed up.

Also, don't expect anybody here to watch a one hour video of drivel. Why don't you tell us the main point of the video?

drummerboy said:

Also, don't expect anybody here to watch a one hour video of drivel. Why don't you tell us the main point of the video?

DB, did you ever have a dog? If so, you know that if you give a dog a bone, it will sniff it from every angle, looking over its shoulder suspiciously, give the bone a lick, and, then, pick it up and go outside to bury it.

Well, libs act that way, too. Snowflakes, in particular. So, take my advice, DO NOT OPEN  that link. It will be way too distressing. If you must, ONLY WATCH the first 20 minutes or so. 

Particularly, spare yourself the pain of the bit about a man named Travis.

Why is an AM news radio station producing hour-long video clips? Was it taken over by Jimmy Dore?

mtierney said:

DB, did you ever have a dog? If so, you know that if you give a dog a bone, it will sniff it from every angle, looking over its shoulder suspiciously, give the bone a lick, and, then, pick it up and go outside to bury it.

Well, libs act that way, too. Snowflakes, in particular. So, take my advice, DO NOT OPEN  that link. It will be way too distressing. If you must, ONLY WATCH the first 20 minutes or so. 

instead of insulting a whole group of people, why not give your thoughts on what's in the video?  With all that has changed in the past half year or so, why should we watch a more than one year-old video on Seattle's homelessness and drug addiction problems?

mtierney said:

drummerboy said:

Please. You expect me to watch a one hour video about Seattle? Produced by a super-right wing outfit?

I read a fair amount about the video last night, by people who watched it, and it's pretty much as I expected. Sensationalized drivel that treats poor people as a problem, rather than as an effect of the real problem of wealth inequality and our generally effed up economic system.

But please, if you've watched it, enlighten us as to how Seattle (one of the most economically vibrant cities in the country) is dying.

mtierney said:

Well, libs act that way, too. Snowflakes, in particular. 

This is as nonsensical an argument as a Trump rant. 

drummerboy said:

Please. You expect me to watch a one hour video about Seattle? Produced by a super-right wing outfit?

I read a fair amount about the video last night, by people who watched it, and it's pretty much as I expected. Sensationalized drivel that treats poor people as a problem, rather than as an effect of the real problem of wealth inequality and our generally effed up economic system.

But please, if you've watched it, enlighten us as to how Seattle (one of the most economically vibrant cities in the country) is dying.

I read a bit about it as well.  There is an issue in Seattle with property crime, being driven by thefts, which are non-violent (e.g, bicycle stealing, shoplifting).  This is obviously not a good thing.  But it should be noted that the violent crime rate in Seattle isn't that different from NYC, which is generally considered a safe city.

So to say that Seattle is "dying" because they have a homelessness, drug addiction and petty theft problem seems like an overstatement to say the least.  And to blame it on "liberals" when our entire economic system is leaving lots and lots of people behind seems even more dubious.

mtierney said:

DB, did you ever have a dog? If so, you know that if you give a dog a bone, it will sniff it from every angle, looking over its shoulder suspiciously, give the bone a lick, and, then, pick it up and go outside to bury it.

Investigation and, if there’s no meat, burial sound like a sensible way to handle a bone.

At least, it’s better than barking and barking over it, and then barking some more.

I don't typically give my dog bones, but when I do, she chews on them for a while, then gets bored and then does something else. I can't tell if my dog is a Libertarian or Green Party member. I'll get her opinion on gun control just to make sure.

ridski said:

I don't typically give my dog bones, but when I do, she chews on them for a while, then gets bored and then does something else. I can't tell if my dog is a Libertarian or Green Party member. I'll get her opinion on gun control just to make sure.

If your dog craps in her own sleeping area, she’s Green Party. 

nohero said:

If your dog craps in her own sleeping area, she’s Green Party. 

If you kick your dog every morning and spit on it every night but it still loyally brings you your slippers, its a progressive.

The only thing my dog wants to bury is this stupid dog analogy.

A wiser dog analogy:

My mama told me ’bout a li'l dog, couldn't see so well
He went ’cross the railroad track — train cut off his tail
He raised his head to peep over the rail
He lost his whole darn head trying to find a piece of tail

DaveSchmidt said:

A wiser dog analogy:

My mama told me ’bout a li'l dog, couldn't see so well
He went ’cross the railroad track — train cut off his tail
He raised his head to peep over the rail
He lost his whole darn head trying to find a piece of tail

Great, now I'll be dogged by this bit of doggerel in my head all doggone day.

Let sleeping dogs etc.

So no one will watch this tape? Expected as much. How do you think CHOP came to be? It didn’t develop overnight, or spontaneously since the George Floyd killing. Social sicknesses take some time to infect a population— unlike the coronavirus which comes in on a breath, a laugh, or a sneeze.

Incidentally, there are other cities struggling with the mentally ill and homeless addicts who outnumber folks who have lost a job and their homes. San Francisco and  Portland are two that mirror Seattle.

Luddite that I am, I do not know how to run through the link, so the content didn’t offend me, but if anyone can, I have a recommendation: Just select the municipal board meeting segment, or watch the sad mental collapse of a man named Travis — at one point he jumps into a trash basket to get away from the cops.

Whether it is the revelation  from COVID  that the nation’s nursing homes are death traps, or that our society has failed to care for its mentally ill population, denial of social ills is no cure.

Seen a man standin' over a dead dog lyin' by the highway in a ditch
He's lookin' down kinda puzzled pokin' that dog with a stick
Got his car door flung open he's standin' out on Highway 31
Like if he stood there long enough that dog'd get up and run
Struck me kinda funny, seem kinda funny sir to me
Still at the end of every hard day people find some reason to believe

mtierney said:

So no one will watch this tape? Expected as much.

As far as I’m concerned, you’ve earned the loss of credibility. 

mtierney said:

So no one will watch this tape? Expected as much. How do you think CHOP came to be? It didn’t develop overnight, or spontaneously since the George Floyd killing. Social sicknesses take some time to infect a population— unlike the coronavirus which comes in on a breath, a laugh, or a sneeze.

Incidentally, there are other cities struggling with the mentally ill and homeless addicts who outnumber folks who have lost a job and their homes. San Francisco and  Portland are two that mirror Seattle.

Luddite that I am, I do not know how to run through the link, so the content didn’t offend me, but if anyone can, I have a recommendation: Just select the municipal board meeting segment, or watch the sad mental collapse of a man named Travis — at one point he jumps into a trash basket to get away from the cops.

Whether it is the revelation  from COVID  that the nation’s nursing homes are death traps, or that our society has failed to care for its mentally ill population, denial of social ills is no cure.

Do you honestly think CHOP came to be because of what the video showed?  Are you honestly equating the 2?  When was the last time you were in Seattle?

DaveSchmidt said:

As far as I’m concerned, you’ve earned the loss of credibility. 

And you have earned a degree in deflection. I am just the messenger — not the message.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!