NO Starbucks in Maplewood Center! BOYCOTT!

and to return to the topic of Starbucks -- despite some folks' near visceral hatred of the brand, it is undeniable that SB was instrumental in teaching Americans that coffee was supposed to taste better than the overcooked swill they got at snack bars and convenience stores.  From the book Coffee for One: How the New Way to Make Your Morning Brew Became a Tempest in a Coffee Pod” by K.J. Fallon

https://www.salon.com/2017/12/31/how-americas-morning-pot-of-joe-became-coffee-for-one/?page=2

Over the years, Starbucks has offered beverages of varying sophisti­cation and uniqueness, and customers have been eager to try not only delicious, gourmet coffees, but also to explore the different variations on the coffee theme that Starbucks offered. So, with the growing popular­ity and availability of the fine coffees that Starbucks served, an increasing number of coffee drinkers and coffee converts were becoming aware that the coffee that they drank didn’t have to be predictable or dull. Coffee held many possibilities for an adventure in caffeine imbibing.

sarahzm said:

As clearly demonstrated here, posting about integrity and actually having some are quite different.  

I would be interested to hear from TheRezDawg if he/she can actually name a single "greedy realtor" who has profited from The Clarus, other than having a great meal at the Cassidy. 

Based on classy writing style, I would not be surprised to find that RezDawg was the same person who claimed that if Clarus was allowed to proceed every tree between Village Coffee and the train station would be removed, that Ricalton square would be destroyed and that a structure the size of the Trader Joes building would be dropped in the middle of Maplewood. 

Sarah...yep I was one of the key troublemakers and obstructionists........but that has nothing to do with your claim..........you are giving MOL nothing but smoke and mirrors.  If you have any documentation show it............he said she said  is not worth warm spit.  Stop doing your little dance and stop with the magical thinking act.  Which all amounts to put up or admit your proof exists only in your mind

ml1 said:

The Redevelopment Plan with new zoning specifically created for this site allows for an over-scaled Transit Village type building to be erected in the center of The Village. It is projected to include retail, grocery, and 25 apartments. The allowed building could potentially max out the site and dwarf the surrounding area. Although the Township Committee has stated that at this time there is no intention of applying for official Transit Village designation, the Redevelopment Plan clearly reflects Transit Village goals in size and use.

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/dickens-village-versus-transit-village-a-creeping-malaise?page=next&limit=

And the prediction came true..........it did not say that Dickens Village would disappear but that it would be dwarfed by the C building

you conveniently ignore the phrase "max out the site," which is what led many people to believe Ricalton Square and half the parking lot would be built upon.

ml1 said:

you conveniently ignore the phrase "max out the site," which is what led many people to believe Ricalton Square and half the parking lot would be built upon.

That is a stretch of the imagination.  What was said in concrete language and what some people visioned in flights of fancy and paranoia were two different things

I think with any business model the idea is to increase revenue. For downtown that means providing services, convenience, or improved quality to get people to spend more money than they did prior.  I can say, I have increased the amount of money I spend in downtown because of the Starbucks. I never in the 14+ years that I lived here bought coffee downtown in the middle of the day, but I do now. I make my run into Kings and on my way back to the car I run across the street and grab a coffee. I am not taking business away from any other place. I have had the option for years to buy coffee at another local business in town, but never did. What the new business has done is change my normal buying habit and increased my spending in downtown.

maps said:

I think with any business model the idea is to increase revenue. For downtown that means providing services, convenience, or improved quality to get people to spend more money than they did prior.  I can say, I have increased the amount of money I spend in downtown because of the Starbucks. I never in the 14+ years that I lived here bought coffee downtown in the middle of the day, but I do now. I make my run into Kings and on my way back to the car I run across the street and grab a coffee. I am not taking business away from any other place. I have had the option for years to buy coffee at another local business in town, but never did. What the new business has done is change my normal buying habit and increased my spending in downtown.

Kings  sells a better tasting coffee for a lesser price.   Located right off the deli dept......you will have to pump the arm on the dispenser and be your own barista.  But there is never a line and you will save over $300.00 a year which I find to be a superior business model

author said:

maps said:

Kings  sells a better tasting coffee for a lesser price.   Located right off the deli dept......you will have to pump the arm on the dispenser and be your own barista.  But there is never a line and you will save over $300.00 a year which I find to be a superior business model

Yet in the 15 years I lived here I never bought it. I am not interested in the coffee, I just like going into starbucks, I like the vibe, I like the folks that work behind the counter, I like seeing folks working on their laptops. I spend money there that I did not spend in the past.

Finally went in today around 2.30. It was busy, I grabbed a cup of coffee and one barista seemed a little confused when I asked for heavy cream, but the place seemed pleasant enough. In other news, I got a gift certificate for The Cassidy for Christmas, and I can't wait to use it.

maps said:

author said:

maps said:

Yet in the 15 years I lived here I never bought it. I am not interested in the coffee, I just like going into starbucks, I like the vibe, I like the folks that work behind the counter, I like seeing folks working on their laptops. I spend money there that I did not spend in the past.

Enjoy and try their Pike something brand of coffee.  I think you will like it

author said:   Sarah...yep I was one of the key troublemakers and obstructionists........but that has nothing to do with your claim..........you are giving MOL nothing but smoke and mirrors.  If you have any documentation show it............he said she said  is not worth warm spit.  Stop doing your little dance and stop with the magical thinking act.  Which all amounts to put up or admit your proof exists only in your mind

Don't need "documentation'  anyone can read it in the thread  Dickens Village versus Transit Village:  Here are some excerpts:

The Redevelopment Plan with new zoning specifically created for this site allows for an over-scaled Transit Village type building to be erected in the center of The Village. It is projected to include retail, grocery, and 25 apartments. The allowed building could potentially max out the site and dwarf the surrounding area. Although the Township Committee has stated that at this time there is no intention of applying for official Transit Village designation, the Redevelopment Plan clearly reflects Transit Village goals in size and use.

another:   Wipe out Ricalton Square to get the parking? Where would that parkng and truck loading/unloading and garbage compacting space come from? Not to mention the HVAC systems on top of maxed out height. And "luxury" condos above a supermarket sounds like an oxymoron. Would you be thinking of moving into that luxury at luxury prices too

More:   I'm baffled that they'd want to stick a big supermarket smack in the middle of public land and that little bit of a green where the Dickens Houses set up. This can't be correct. Somebody above said to write to the Town Council members and then somebody said the Economic Development Committee might listen, and it looks like its one in the same. Is that someone just being sarcastic or is this all for real? How does a referendum happen?

more:  Then take a look at the available footprint of the Post Office lot. It spans from the sidewalk next to Village Coffee right to over the first row of parking on the other side of then Post Office. How much of that do you think a developer will want to take advantage of and maximize? And how much of that will be fenced off during tear down and construction which will probably take about a year? And read this thread above. How much do any of us really know? The answer is basically nothing and we should be embarrassed of the possibility of a Station House sitting mid Village, the inconvenience to the entire Village, the possible predatory nature of an expanded Kings to other businesses, the overbuilding in a town that has a lack of open green space and our own malaise.

More:  The RFQ for the project absolutely allows for changes to Ricalton square. Further the site is not just the post office building it is from the parking next to Ricalton square all the way to the village coffee shop. It is very large. So it is a big deal

more: 

author

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:06pm The thought of the new building potentially approaching within 15 feet of The Village Coffee is not pleasant. Should it come to pass customers who previously had at least an open view of the parking area will be charmed by a wall only the length of two ping pong tables away from them.
Then again maybe the young ones can create another bubble gum wall.

and that's just a small sample from the first 4 pages of a 21 page thread.

sarahzm said:

author said:   Sarah...yep I was one of the key troublemakers and obstructionists........but that has nothing to do with your claim..........you are giving MOL nothing but smoke and mirrors.  If you have any documentation show it............he said she said  is not worth warm spit.  Stop doing your little dance and stop with the magical thinking act.  Which all amounts to put up or admit your proof exists only in your mind

Don't need "documentation'  anyone can read it in the thread  Dickens Village versus Transit Village:  Here are some excerpts:

another:   Wipe out Ricalton Square to get the parking? Where would that parkng and truck loading/unloading and garbage compacting space come from? Not to mention the HVAC systems on top of maxed out height. And "luxury" condos above a supermarket sounds like an oxymoron. Would you be thinking of moving into that luxury at luxury prices too

More:   I'm baffled that they'd want to stick a big supermarket smack in the middle of public land and that little bit of a green where the Dickens Houses set up. This can't be correct. Somebody above said to write to the Town Council members and then somebody said the Economic Development Committee might listen, and it looks like its one in the same. Is that someone just being sarcastic or is this all for real? How does a referendum happen?

more:  Then take a look at the available footprint of the Post Office lot. It spans from the sidewalk next to Village Coffee right to over the first row of parking on the other side of then Post Office. How much of that do you think a developer will want to take advantage of and maximize? And how much of that will be fenced off during tear down and construction which will probably take about a year? And read this thread above. How much do any of us really know? The answer is basically nothing and we should be embarrassed of the possibility of a Station House sitting mid Village, the inconvenience to the entire Village, the possible predatory nature of an expanded Kings to other businesses, the overbuilding in a town that has a lack of open green space and our own malaise.

More:  The RFQ for the project absolutely allows for changes to Ricalton square. Further the site is not just the post office building it is from the parking next to Ricalton square all the way to the village coffee shop. It is very large. So it is a big deal

more: 

author

Dec 16, 2013 at 1:06pm The thought of the new building potentially approaching within 15 feet of The Village Coffee is not pleasant. Should it come to pass customers who previously had at least an open view of the parking area will be charmed by a wall only the length of two ping pong tables away from them.
Then again maybe the young ones can create another bubble gum wall.

and that's just a small sample from the first 4 pages of a 21 page thread.

Cute......and within there would you please point out the part you quoted about all the trees that would be cut down.  And then point out how the new building would expand half way into the Ricalton Square.  As a matter of fact what John predicted all came true except the partial loss of the Village Coffee parking lot. When John wrote it most people thought Kings would occupy the building........but not me.  Therefore when the builder found himself with a ton of empty basement space......it suddenly became parking for the building above.    Thus the Village Coffee parking lot remains full size for other shoppers

You do need documentation as to your claims........John Harvey's paper has none of them. 

Stop with you're little dance.  You made a claim..........now defend it

A very mild coffee, if you like the kind of thing. It’s my third choice in town.  

author said:

maps said:

jeffl said:

A very mild coffee, if you like the kind of thing. It’s my third choice in town.  
author said:

maps said:

I thought King's brewed two types of coffee as well as decaf but I could be mistaken

We are fortunate to have so many coffee vendors within a few minutes walk

The thermoses at Kings don't keep the coffee hot enough for my taste

And they sell so little that they sit around for a long time.

ml1 said:

The thermoses at Kings don't keep the coffee hot enough for my taste

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.