Movie Talk

drummerboy said:

Well, all writing about movies is opinion, isn't it?  (The article containing the list explains how it was created, btw.)

I like reading lists and usually find them useful. I'm not expecting some eternal truth from the list, but it forces you to think about the movies listed, and maybe consider a movie differently than how you did before, and possibly suggest a re-viewing or first-time viewing of a movie.

Plus they stimulate some thoughtful comments, as seen above.

OK, I'll give you that.  Maybe it's just personal taste and I'm internalizing too much? I'll go back and read how the author came up with that list.

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I agree with most of that. Definitely too much Allen. Life of Brian higher than Grail? Arthur should be there somewhere.

I always consider Life of Brian above Holy Grail because it has a story with an ending. 

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I agree with most of that. Definitely too much Allen. Life of Brian higher than Grail? Arthur should be there somewhere.

I always consider Life of Brian above Holy Grail because it has a story with an ending. 

Point taken. I still laugh at Grail more though. And there are so many classic bits in Grail - Brian, not so much.

TheJmon said:

Delicatessen! What a great movie.  What about that movie that takes place in a cigar store?  Barbershop is funny as well.  

Clearly not a list worth reading.  Anytime I see a 'top 100', I keep scrolling.  A time suck not worth going into, because it's just opinion anyway.  Comedy in cinema depends on your point of access and reference.  Some people don't find Raising Arizona to be funny, or Black Comedy in general.  There are a whole slew of people that are offended by slapstick.  That in itself is funny.  

That list was written by a computer program or a bored 20 something.  

Here's my defense of lists. The very reaction to them forces recollections of some greats that are filed in the back corridors of the brain. It's the reason I like word association games. Mr. T and a few of us play the Word Association Music Edition. Sometimes a word connects to an obvious choice but every once in awhile I dig through the dusty folders in my mind and recall a jewel, a song or group that I had completely forgotten about. 

I'm wildly fascinated by the process. And if it's a quick response, I wonder how my brain made that connection. 

We had a list of bests that had us making arguments for overlooked favorites. I was reminded of films that I had forgotten. So even bad lists work for me!

Was Mash on that list?

I don't like lists either. However, since Covid, every week my 2 kids and I do a remote movie night where we pick a movie and watch it in our respective homes. Then we jump on a Zoom and talk about the movie and just chat. Obviously, for me, it's not just about the movie, it's time spent  with my kids. I recommend doing this if  your kids are elsewhere. 

Ah. back to lists. We find it harder and harder each week to come up with a movie, even though there are thousands to choose from. Lists remind us of films we didn't think of. Also, the NYT sends out a film newsletter with Best Streaming Films of the month. We chose from there sometimes. 

I used to collect Neil Simon films I think The Odd Couple was a lazy choice.

I would argue for Prisoner of Second Avenue. The trilogy of California Suite has 2 strong contenders, the Alan Alda / Jane Fonda piece has classic dialogue, as well as the Maggie Smith / Michael Caine segment.

The Out of Towners, The Goodbye Girl, The Cheap Detective, Murder by Death are worth a look for a few giggles.

Ooh, tell me more about that Best Streaming Films of the Month newsletter?  Since COVID began we have designated Saturday night to be Family Movie night, and we rotate amongst the four of us for choices.  The only rule is that you MUST sit through the other person's choice, even if you hate the movie.  There have been some clunkers, but for the most part the kids have enjoyed our picks and we theirs.  This Saturday night is my wife's choice, The Sisterhood of The Traveling Pants.  

I get the thinking about lists, but some lists resonate with me more and I was actually more intimidated by the number than what was actually on it.  I sometimes take Netflix, Amazon prime recommendations, but I get an email from Apple TV every week with recommendations, and they are just trying to push the current content of many different streaming services.  I like a more personal touch, which is why I love threads like this way better.  We could all share a favorite movie, and I bet other's would go look it up or agree.  

One of mine? Local Hero.  

PS, the movie I was talking about before was Smoke, and it is nothing like the other one.  

TheJmon said:

Ooh, tell me more about that Best Streaming Films of the Month newsletter?   

You might need to be a NYT subscribe, not sure. DM me your email and I'll forward the last one or two  to you.  It includes best stuff on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. 

Not for the cognoscenti, but I love it:

IAMMMMW.

DaveSchmidt said:

Not for the cognoscenti, but I love it:

IAMMMMW.

Yeah, everyone should see it - once. 

Two wacky comedies Night Shift and After Hours.

Night Shift from the 80s? I actually watched After Hours recently, and it stood the test of time.  Hard to imagine what any city is like now, I am so far removed both physically and mentally from that life.  

For wacky and dark, I made my family sit through Grosse Point Blank and that movie is hysterical.  The soundtrack is also first class.  My movie choice is coming up and I have picked Sliding Doors.  

By the way, Amazon just released The Spirit, which I'm currently watching.  It's very faithful to the comic by Will Eisner, with a Frank Miller spin so the combination works.  Plus, a few surprise actors that will make you smile if you get that far. 

For the cognoscenti, but I love it:

The President’s Analyst.

More love for the big W. That was my first big screen movie. I still remember my mom taking me, which was a very rare event. I was 6.

Is there a better opening song than Goldfinger?

It's up there, but a few I like better: A Hard Day's Night, Theme From Shaft, Freddy's Dead, Stayin' Alive, To Sir With Love, 3:10 to Yuma.

Favorite repurposed opening song: Amoreena, in Dog Day Afternoon.

good selection. As a trumpet player I have a soft spot for Goldfinger. 

My favorite repurposed opening song is Iggy Pop’s Lust For Life in Trainspotting.

drummerboy said:

More love for the big W. That was my first big screen movie. I still remember my mom taking me, which was a very rare event. I was 6.

I'm stuck, what is the big W?  Keep thinking it will spring to mind.

West Side Story? I know you are a musical fan.

Best opening song David Bowie's Cat People.

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

I'm stuck, what is the big W?  Keep thinking it will spring to mind.

West Side Story? I know you are a musical fan.

oh, it's It's a Mad, Mad, etc World. The big W is what the cast is searching for for the whole movie.

I got tickets to see FRENCH EXIT (with Michelle Pfeiffer) on Saturday night at the newly reopened Angelika and NOBODY (with Bob Odenkirk) Sunday at ShowPlace ICON Kerasoyes in Secaucus. I'm so excited. 

Hadn't heard about French Exit, but Nobody looks real interesting.

Morganna said:

Best opening song David Bowie's Cat People.

Holy crap, yeah... That chorus.  Wow.

ETA, I haven't seen the film, though.

ridski said:

Holy crap, yeah... That chorus.  Wow.

ETA, I haven't seen the film, though.

See it! It is a perfect mix of good and bad.

I've loved the original black and white since I was a child. Very moody, the actress was little known Simone Simon. I actually like it better and love those old movie posters. 

Morganna said:

See it! It is a perfect mix of good and bad.

I've loved the original black and white since I was a child. Very moody, the actress was little known Simone Simon. I actually like it better and love those old movie posters. 

Morganna - The Ten Commandments is on the t-v at 7:30 tonight. I think you were looking for it.

galileo said:

Morganna - The Ten Commandments is on the t-v at 7:30 tonight. I think you were looking for it.

Don't see it? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.