Movie Talk

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I enjoyed Snyder's Watchmen, thought 300 was a fun watch, and the first 20 minutes of his remake of Dawn of the Dead is some of the most nail-biting, intense cinema I've seen for a long time. Snyder lost me at Sucker Punch. I haven't hated a movie that much in forever.

That's not a limb to go out on - That movie is as underrated as Green Lantern, which was not a half bad movie comparatively.  The Watchmen series on HBO was not as true to the comic, but expanded on it in ways that actually burnt it out very quickly.  You never saw them attempt to do a second season of that, as they 'blew their wad' on the fist and probably last season.  300 is actually a really good movie, but look no further than the source material for why that movie worked.  Remind me about Sucker Punch, as you lost me at the drugstore after that.  Shawn of the Dead was funnier.  

Sucker Punch is kind of hard to describe without going into spoilers. Suffice to say it is also a rag-tag team on a quest movie, and I was actually enjoying it, and then there is one thing that happens that destroys it, and because it's literally called Sucker Punch I can only presume that Snyder's intention was for me to hate him for doing it. 

Oh no you di-n't! If this is an actual movie, Charles Shultz is turning over in his grave and will come back to boycott this movie.  

Based on other headlines on that page, this is a movie news satire site.

ridski said:

Based on other headlines on that page, this is a movie news satire site.

well,  they got me.

Should have known when they said Charlie Brown would be played by Nicolas Cage.  confused

Funny, I didn't even cache that.  That would actually be a miscast, if you ask me.  Who would play Pigpen?  I think he would suit that role better.  

TheJmon said:

Who would play Pigpen? 

Anthony Hopkins. 

DaveSchmidt said:

TheJmon said:

Who would play Pigpen? 

Anthony Hopkins. 

Ron McKernan 

I still say "Good grief." I collected Peanuts books. All things Snoopy, watches, t shirts, my prize possession was a Snoopy for President T. Very dangerous to mess with art.

Just watched the red band trailer for the new Suicide Squad, and I'm actually looking forward to it. I couldn't make it through the opening credits of the Will Smith one.

I started watching that Suicide Squad on a plane pre-pandemic (is that a thing? As in, 'In the time Before'?        I made it past the opening credits, but I think I was done in the first five minutes or less.  What is a 'red band trailer', by the way?  Not only was that film a hot mess, but it was unwatchable and so not in the spirit of the comics they were loosely based on.  That would be the flaw I find in most DC properties, except the ones that are not as campy.  They feel the need to 'modernize' and make their own stuff up about these characters that has nothing to do with how they were originally written.  The problem with that is that they will never get it right, but the source material did.  It's the shock value that hurts them more than anything.  You could sum up Suicide Squad in one word - Loud.  That movie was very noisy.  

A Red Band Trailer is a trailer that can be only be shown in front of an R rated movie, because it contains the sweary/sexy/gory parts most trailers leave out. So if you see the MPAA info with a green background, that's a Green Band trailer (universal audiences), a red background is a Red Band trailer.

https://screenrant.com/red-band-trailer-meaning-history/

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I've not seen any trailers for a new Suicide Squad, but those were never characters I invested any time to in my comic book reading days.  I'm actually more interested in the upcoming Sandman movie.  I missed the other Gaiman series entirely (American Gods), as I could not get through the first book (not comic book, the actual book).  If they actually tack down the release date, maybe I'll get excited about Black Widow.  I say maybe, because it's now a money play for them and they could have released it long ago.  There is now the whole talk of how to maximize return on investment as people move back to movie theaters? Me? Not sure I want to go to an indoor movie in the least bit, as they have to change so much and it's just not a very comfortable thing at the moment.  I'm spoiled by the potential of watching movies in my house at my whim.  

I think Sandman will be a series for Netflix, and my gothy self is very excited about it. I did get into a few DC Vertigo titles back in the day. Much more esoteric and interesting than the aliens and space wizards Marvel and DC seems to be stuck in.

“Dirty Work” is used very effectively in the Suicide Squad TV ad.

ridski said:

I think Sandman will be a series for Netflix, and my gothy self is very excited about it. I did get into a few DC Vertigo titles back in the day. Much more esoteric and interesting than the aliens and space wizards Marvel and DC seems to be stuck in.

There you go again, aligning with my own personal views.  We read the same book, and it was probably some of the finest comic writing ever.  It may not show because I post so much about it, but I'm actually pretty bored with the current crop of Marvel/DC.  There are some shining lights, but they can't pull off any of the stuff that was brilliantly executed in that Sandman title.  His sister Death was actually almost more interesting than Sandman was, and they spiced up the genre.  Dr. Strange is even a weak character comparatively, though cast brilliantly in the movies.  Death? So badass they could screw actually pull her off on Netflix.  Then again, there was a the hot mess of The Defenders and Iron Fist (so bad it was never good).  

PS - Just watched the trailer you are referring to - Lot's of gore, not my thing, but if it's on HBO Max I'll just have to watch and cover my eyes every two minutes.  I'll also be busy covering my daughter's ears, because the profanity is off the charts and she absolutely love's that kind of stuff...

Anyone ever watched The Adjustment Bureau (2011) (Matt Damon/Emily Blunt)? Saw it today and I thought it was kind of cool. I liked it.

drummerboy said:

Any ever watched The Adjustment Bureau (Matt Damon/Emily Blunt)? Saw it today and I thought it was kind of cool. I liked it.

I caught it on a plane. Thought it was a little lacking, but I’m willing to give it a second chance. Where is it streaming?

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Any ever watched The Adjustment Bureau (Matt Damon/Emily Blunt)? Saw it today and I thought it was kind of cool. I liked it.

I caught it on a plane. Thought it was a little lacking, but I’m willing to give it a second chance. Where is it streaming?

Dunno. Some channel showed it today - don't remember which.

Oh, it was SYFY and it's VOD (at least on Youtube TV it is)

I agree it was a little lacking, but I thought the premise was interesting. It was an enjoyable 90 minutes for me.

It's got a 7.0 on IMDB, which I think is generous. I'd give it a low 6.

I don't know about that list. We need another one. I hated almost everything on the list except for about 10 or so. I did love all of the Christopher Guest films and just watched Dr. Strangelove again last week. A few of the 40s screwball comedies. Was there even one Neil Simon on there? Never actually thought of Goodfellas as a comedy but OK.

Agree that Planes Trains and Automobiles is a riot.

Trying to think of some classics. What's Up Doc maybe.

Thinking.

I take comedy very seriously.

good point about What's up Doc. How can a list of the 100 best miss that, but include Dumb and Dumber?

Morganna said:

I don't know about that list.

Forty out of 100 from the last 30 years? Hmmm.

Too much Woody Allen. Not enough Ernst Lubitsch or Richard Lester.

MIA: The Princess Bride, The Lady Killers, Lady Bird. Cold Turkey. 

Better Steve Martin: Roxanne, All of Me.

Extra points for Bedazzled and The Return of the Pink Panther.

DaveSchmidt said:

Morganna said:

I don't know about that list.

Forty out of 100 from the last 30 years? Hmmm.

Too much Woody Allen. Not enough Ernst Lubitsch or Richard Lester.

MIA: The Princess Bride and The Lady Killers, for two. Cold Turkey. 

Better Steve Martin: Roxanne, All of Me.

Extra points for Bedazzled and The Return of the Pink Panther.

Yeah, I agree with most of that. Definitely too much Allen. Life of Brian higher than Grail? Arthur should be there somewhere.

Morganna said:

Never actually thought of Goodfellas as a comedy but OK.

Or Pulp Fiction.

The Odd Couple was listed, re Neil Simon.

Here’s one that just came to mind: Is Mister Roberts a comedy?

Does being a musical disqualify Singing in the Rain?

“In the history of cinema.” So not just English-speaking.

Tampopo. Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown. Delicatessen.

Delicatessen! What a great movie.  What about that movie that takes place in a cigar store?  Barbershop is funny as well.  

Clearly not a list worth reading.  Anytime I see a 'top 100', I keep scrolling.  A time suck not worth going into, because it's just opinion anyway.  Comedy in cinema depends on your point of access and reference.  Some people don't find Raising Arizona to be funny, or Black Comedy in general.  There are a whole slew of people that are offended by slapstick.  That in itself is funny.  

That list was written by a computer program or a bored 20 something.  

Well, all writing about movies is opinion, isn't it?  (The article containing the list explains how it was created, btw.)

I like reading lists and usually find them useful. I'm not expecting some eternal truth from the list, but it forces you to think about the movies listed, and maybe consider a movie differently than how you did before, and possibly suggest a re-viewing or first-time viewing of a movie.

Plus they stimulate some thoughtful comments, as seen above.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Rentals

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!